PDA

View Full Version : one arm fishing, need rod help please

naturenut
03-05-2016, 12:02 AM
hey guys,
my left shoulder is out of commission for this yr. no reeling with it.
looking for options to fish, from my boat.
could i get a long rod, and just swing a jig and slip float out to docks/post ?
if so, what would be a good rod & length to use ?

open for any other suggestions too.

thx,

mccowan
03-05-2016, 01:29 AM
Check out Tim Farmer, he is the host of Kentucky Afield. He only has use of one arm. He a couple different setups. One is a rod holder attached to him, similar to salt water guys use. Another thing I saw him use a bait caster with a twitching bar. Hope this helps.

Locator79
03-05-2016, 06:43 AM
The longer the better, handling something to pitch all day will be tricky. I'd look at a 13' telescopic rod.

LittleJohn
03-05-2016, 10:38 AM
I like the 11' Sam Heaton rod. Very light and sensitive.
LittleJohn

deathb4disco
03-05-2016, 11:18 AM
The longer the better, handling something to pitch all day will be tricky. I'd look at a 13' telescopic rod.

Agreed. I regularly fish with telescopic poles and catch a lot of fish with them.

naturenut
03-05-2016, 11:29 AM
how long of a telescoping rod ? i'm sure the longer the better, even with a jigging rod,
but i'm sure to long would get tirering.

i tried a fly rod. but i didn't like all false casting and stripping.

i was even thinking of a 12' Tenkara rod. i could under hand a jig/float with it, or i could run some flies for gills...

deathb4disco
03-05-2016, 11:39 AM
how long of a telescoping rod ? i'm sure the longer the better, even with a jigging rod,
but i'm sure to long would get tirering.

i was even thinking of a 12' Tenkara rod. i could under hand a jig/float with it, or i could run some flies for gills...

I use a 12-footer. Past 13', they can get heavy. (That's for the fiberglass poles. Graphite is lighter, so you can go longer with the graphite pole.) My longest telescopic graphite pole is about 18'.

Tenkara would be a nice choice, but they are more expensive.

deathb4disco
03-05-2016, 11:44 AM

1. Ideally, you make one back cast and one forward cast. False casting should be kept to an absolute minimum.

2. Instead of stripping, you can do a slow hand twist retrieve (if your shoulder allows you.) I posted a video of the hand twist retrieve in the fly fishing forum.

huntinslabs
03-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Whitey Outlaw double duty by BnM or the Graphite Little Jewel by BnM would be pretty easy to swing all day. The Bucks Best Ultralight with one of the Solo type reels might add a slight convenience of depth adjustment and be easy to swing as well. Good luck and hope your shoulder heals well.

Yaker
03-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Telescoping rod,or my favorite a Tenkara.I purchased a 12' # 7 with extra tip from willow and cane for $25.00 recently.

naturenut
03-05-2016, 06:38 PM
thx guys.
i'm going to go with one of jigging rods.
thx for all the info.

skeetbum
03-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Tore up my left shoulder in my teens and had to give up surfing. Hard thing to do. Never been the same. Please take your time and let it heal as it should, a long slow process. Praying that it heals and lets you get back to what you enjoy.

naturenut
03-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Tore up my left shoulder in my teens and had to give up surfing. Hard thing to do. Never been the same. Please take your time and let it heal as it should, a long slow process. Praying that it heals and lets you get back to what you enjoy.

hey, thanks alot for the wise words. it's really tuff on the mind right now, specially with spring coming.

wannabe fisherman
03-06-2016, 05:41 AM
hey guys,
my left shoulder is out of commission for this yr. no reeling with it.
looking for options to fish, from my boat.
could i get a long rod, and just swing a jig and slip float out to docks/post ?
if so, what would be a good rod & length to use ?

open for any other suggestions too.

thx,

if that's a torn rotator get it fixed asap as the longer you wait, if it needs surgery, the less likely surgery is to be successful. That's what the surgeon told me. He said the soft tissue will deteriorate and make it harder to repair and you don't want that. I messed mine up 17 years ago had it repaired within 2 months, workers comp. had to do 4 weeks of re-hab that was a waste of time. Anyway, except Arthur is creeping in,I'm 73 now, it's been as good as new ever since.