Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Give up!!

Riverfisher Guest

Default I Give up!!

My son and I went to the river Sunday .Water temp was 50 when we arrived at about 10:30.It got down to about 30 saturday night so it was colder than expected.I figured the fish had to be about 8 or 10 feet deep .We fished in the tree tops for about 2hrs moving around to different spots even tried out in the main river in the tops and bridge piling ,we tried everything.Minnows,jigs,different colors different depths, no Crappie. Finally My son got a bite in a tree top fishing about 9 ft.He got it to the top of the water and bumped a limb with him and he got off ,but we saw it was a keeper size crappie.So I said ,ALRIGHT, we know where they are!! Not another bite!We finally went back to the creek where the boat landing is and I told my son we could fish around here for a little while then we would have to go .Well here comes this guy in a boat ,pulls up to the bank, throws out a minnow with his pole and porcupine quill 3 FEET DEEP and pulls in about a14 in crappie.3 FEET!!! I could not believe it!So buy now its getting dark ,but we pulled our floats down to three ft and proceeded to catch 2 keepers and lost a couple more.Then had to leave.By the way ,when we were catching those fish the water had warmed to 55.5 .Anyway I cant figure how deep we should be fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

3 feet. LOL
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Riverfisher, don't let it get ya down. Thats why its called fishin instead of catchin. Sometimes you just have to scream out "Rollllll TIDE!" LOL :p (I have friends that live right there by you).

Try to get in to some of those oxbows down there. Those are real hot for Big Crappie, especially right now. Another spot I'd try, would be near any spilll way areas.

Here on the Mississppi River, I'd be heading for shallow flats in back cut offs from the main river. We've had good luck in 'bout 6-8' of water with brush on top of a muck bottoms. We fish shallow, and let them come up to feed on our offerings out of the brush for better luck. They are real slow to bite, but that is a productive pattern here at this time of year anyway.

Luck to ya! And if you are for Auburn, well... we can still talk fishin! :D

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 01-10-2005 at 09:15 PM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

but just think how fun it is trying to find out what makes though fish bite
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I live just south of you. Outside of War Eagle Country. I have spent part of most everyday on the river since new years and I have really struggled. The fish are in some kind of shock from this spring weather. The water was just starting to cool down in the 40s then boom we are back up to 58 degrees today. I just wonder if the crappie will try to spawn if the water temp keeps rising. I hope we get some cold weather before it rises into the 60s.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    <(((>< LOL
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

They are in a funk here to so join the club. Them slow days sure make you appreciate the good ones.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Riverfisher Guest

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble and I was just kidding about giving up.I plan to go again Friday.Don't exactly have aplan yet but I will be trying every thing you can bet on that.I appreciate all the advice and o'yeah ROLLLLLL! Tide!!!!

slick Guest

any body fish lake montecello in Arkansas

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riverfisher
    Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble and I was just kidding about giving up.I plan to go again Friday.Don't exactly have aplan yet but I will be trying every thing you can bet on that.I appreciate all the advice and o'yeah ROLLLLLL! Tide!!!!
    thought you might like the pretty flag
    WAR DAMN EAGLE
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast