Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long or Short Poles which is better

Post Thanks / Like

Prayer Request Long or Short Poles which is better

I just bought a couple of 10ft poles not tried them out yet. I am really excited to try them out. I would like some insight on this issue. My buddies think I am off my rocker but I have faith they will produce some good catches.

Post Thanks / Like

Better for what? Casting, trolling, vertical jigging?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 ten foot rods, which I originally started using to "spider rig" with ... sort of

I had to angle them off to the side (45-60deg) of the front of my boat, so as to avoid having the lines get entangled in the trolling motor prop. Now that I have three 14' rods, the 10' rods are used (sometimes) as the far outside rod in the four rod spread; because I want the longer rods directly out in front of the trolling motor.

I "could" use either one of them as a vertical jigging rod, or as part of a spread for longline trolling or even pushing/pulling jigs or cranks.

They will most certainly help your catch rate if used for the proper method for the prevailing situation/conditions. And if you're going to be holding the rods in your hand while using them, be sure to put a reel on them that balances the outfit ... and I mean literally "balances" it. You should be able to lay the rod/reel across your finger, at the front end of the handle, and have it balance there. It will be much more comfortable to use, if it's balanced. If the rods are going to be placed in a holder ... balance is not a major factor.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

i have two 10 footers that i use in my spider rigging set up. i use 12 footers for the middle six rods and use the two ten footers on the outside. These two ten footers also double as my verticle jiggin/dippin rods when im not spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

All depends on what you doing. Need a little more information.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fish from a boat and I have two 9'6" rods I use for casting. I use them when fishing lite jigs with a fixed bobber in shallow waters and have large area to cast in.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 12' BnM that I take if I'm fishing with a friend and I know I'm gonna be sitting in the rear of his boat. If I'm in my own boat, I use my 8' BnM. I mainly do vertical jigging and both rods put em in the boat! GTT

Post Thanks / Like

so...the longer rods should go in the mid section? and if ya catch on the middle rods being the longer rods can you work the fish around the shorter rods in most instances to get the fish to one side of the boat or the other to land it? The 2nd question I know can have a lot of variables...just pretend it was not an uncooperative fish.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishervet View Post
    so...the longer rods should go in the mid section? and if ya catch on the middle rods being the longer rods can you work the fish around the shorter rods in most instances to get the fish to one side of the boat or the other to land it? The 2nd question I know can have a lot of variables...just pretend it was not an uncooperative fish.
    Longer rods in the middle of the spread of variable length rods is simply to keep the lines away from the trolling motor prop when moving forward. The shorter rods are on the outside of the spread for the same reason.

I would suggest investing in a long handled landing net for anyone using rods 10' & longer. You can't always depend on "cooperative" fish allowing themselves to be led around the spread and landed beside the boat.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Rods are kinda like golf clubs in that you "need" different rods and clubs for different jobs. You'll find plenty of uses for those 10 footers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast