Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slip bobber setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip bobber setup

Im needing advice on slip bobber setups. I have a hard time casting a slip bobber setup without the the bobber stop catching a guide. I have tried various stops but seem to have same problem. Help. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

What size line are you using and what kind of bobber stops? I use braid with a fluorocarbon leader and have not had any issues with the stop catching on the guides. I do this for bass as well as crappie, with lines from 2# - 8# test Fireline Crystal for the main. I use the string type stops with appropriate beads. No problems....no worries!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I use 4 lb test line. I buy the Thill brand bobber stop line. The quality is better I think. Have to pull the tags hard. I have never found any that will stay put for an extended time. I know its a pain to retie but it always happens.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. I use #4 pound test line and the smallest rubber float stop recommended for that line. Here are drawings of what I am talking about.

Name:  bobber stops.jpg
Views: 5735
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  Basic Rig and dropper.jpg
Views: 35531
Size:  21.7 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes prefers shiners, Crappie62 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm .... perhaps the bobber stop is not the problem. It may be that your rod's guides & tip eye are too small. Many rods these days are built with smaller diameter guides, even micro-guides, to reduce the weight of the rod & to channel the line coils into a straight line for longer casts.

I cast with a ESP brand rod, which has micro-guides, and the guides are too small for most any kind of bobber stop use. So, when I want to use such a setup, I go to my float-n- fly rod, which by having the larger guides allows me to use most any form of bobber stop on the market.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I usually use 6lb braid and use the string stops for the most part. I did use those yellow clip on ones but tend to go back to the string ones. I have been using the slip bobber setup on an eagle claw ultralight glass rod from cabelas and the darn guides are too small. That being said after looking at most of my other rods they all tend to be pretty small. Will have to snoop around and find some rods with bigger guides.

Post Thanks / Like

I use what Ship posted,but like Crappiepappy said,the eyelets can pose a problem
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-03-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a recent post about this as well in the beginners section. Lots of good info there. Called "your favorite line stop".