Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Advise needed for Minn Kota remote

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advise needed for Minn Kota remote

I am still what I would consider new to crappie fishing but I recently purchased a Powerdrive V2 with I-pilot for my boat. I am still getting to know the functions on the remote but I love the trolling motor so far. I fish with my teenage son and we are trying to get the boat set up to long line this year. I normally have the remote and therefore I control the boat speed and direction but at times I wish he could take control.
    Especially when I have 2 or 3 lines hung up or need retying due to a brush pile. My question is has anybody tried the micro remote as a backup remote? This would be used as a backup remote only so not having the screen might not be a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished with a guy who had a second remote for his ipilot, he handed it to me as soon as I got in the boat. Worked fine.

I only have one remote for my ipilot, but am planning to get a second one.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Always have 2 in boat. One for me and one for other person in boat

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies but my question was about the newer style Micro Remote for I-pilot. Does anyone have one and do they like it? I hate to spend $150 for the full size remote when the smaller remote will work for 1/2 the price. It just does not have a screen to view the settings. Looks to be about the size of a co-pilot remote.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one, but as of today, have nor been able to get it to "learn" to the Terrova.. Had several experts look at it. It should work perfect just like the co-pilot remote

Post Thanks / Like

The mini remote is about $90, the full size remote is about $130.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

There's a button on the remote with an "N" on it, forget what the official name is, but it keeps the boat going in a pretty straight line. I usually push that button when I need to do some other task like tie on a different lure. It works great for those situations when I can't pay attention to boat direction and don't want to tangle my lines. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Cnette I think you are talking about the compass button and yeah it helps but we fish some rivers and sometimes a few feet left or right can mean the difference between fishing with 3 rods or having 3 rods that need a jig tied on. When I have to rety a jig that is when I need someone else to steer. Warhawks do you think the full size is worth the extra?

Post Thanks / Like

I keep the remote but always have the foot pedal hooked up so if there is a issue at sea I need to deal with my number 1 son can continue to control the boat with the foot pedal. This teaches him the old school method and keeps us out of trouble
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post