Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: proper size sinker for 12 foot rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default proper size sinker for 12 foot rod

I have 8 of the 12' Mr. Crappie Slab Shaker graphite rods. Is 3/4 oz too heavy for these?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to gauge that by how much more "give" the rod tip has, after the weight is applied. If the 3/4oz weight pulls the rod tip down to where the rod is almost "loaded", then there's not going to be much give in the rod tip for you to see a lighter bite. And the heavy resistance may well cause the fish to spit the bait.

I run 1/2oz on my 10' SHSS rod, but 3/4oz still leaves enough give in the tip that I don't think it would deter a fish from biting. So, unless your MCSS rod is a whole lot lighter tipped than my Sam Heaton ... I wouldn't think 3/4oz would be "too heavy".

In fact, I put 2oz on my 10' SHSS, as an experiment just to see if it would load the rod tip too much ... and there was still enough give/play in the rod tip that I couldn't determine there being much more resistance to pulling the rod tip down, than there was with 3/4oz or only 1/2oz.

... cp

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

3/4 would probably work but I would think 1/2 would be better for those tips. I shy away from 3/4 unless fishing over 12 ft deep or really bade wave bounce.. I'm like pappy, lighter the weight less likely hood of fish feeling weight and spitting hook.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G", prefers shiners, canebreaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Think I will see how the 3/4 do and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Pinnacle 12 footers and west point crappie rods and I run 3/4 oz on all of em with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what they said, I make it a practice to go with much lighter lead in the winter months, 1/4oz and 3/8oz, Where I fish, the bite is usually slower and lighter in the cold months.

Post Thanks / Like

Slab shakers have the lightest action in the Slab series. Then more back bone as price goes up (2)Slab Daddy, (3)Custom series then (4)Signature Series. I like to put enough weight that pre-loads tip just a bit , but not so much that boat traffic or waves cause the rod to bottom out. Causing the rod tip of jerk the weight up in rough water.

Post Thanks / Like

CG1 "Dances with fish"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skinny View Post
    Slab shakers have the lightest action in the Slab series. Then more back bone as price goes up (2)Slab Daddy, (3)Custom series then (4)Signature Series. I like to put enough weight that pre-loads tip just a bit , but not so much that boat traffic or waves cause the rod to bottom out. Causing the rod tip of jerk the weight up in rough water.
    Slab Daddy rods are the cheapest. They are made of fiberglass. Then the Shakers. I wouldn't use over 1/2oz weight unless I needed to because of wind or depth.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Lets get this straight, Slab Daddy poles are fine, they are strong and have a great feel. I see B&M and other rods with broke tips all the time. Slab Daddy poles are light and very durable an do not break off, easily. You can reel down to a hung jig and pop it loose. Try it with a B&M or Southern or a lot of medium to light rods. I pull cranks with 2/3oz of extra weight, no problem. You do not have to have the high dollar poles to enjoy a crappie trip. The answer to your question is 1/2- 3/4oz, based on speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast