Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Early Season Trout Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Early Season Trout Fishing

All streams do not have the same hatches as insects vary not only from State to state but even stream to stream. However there are a few insects that can emerge on many trout streams in your area this time of year. First is small Black Stoneflys. Usually they start in mid Feburary in my area and I have seen them as late as mid April a few hours north of me. Usually a size 16 or 18 hook is the fly size I use. Also Blue Winged Olives can be another fly emerging early in the year as well as other times throughout the year. They are a multibrood insects. Our early season ones are usually fairly small as some are in the 18 or even 20 hook size. As the later hatches of olives seem to be a little bigger flys. Also expect to start to see some caddis and or even a gray stone fly coming off on many lakes we fish. Not only trout but also pan fish in lakes eat them on a regular basics. If this is of interest I can post future post on other insect emergence later in the year. Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addictedangler View Post
    All streams do not have the same hatches as insects vary not only from State to state but even stream to stream. However there are a few insects that can emerge on many trout streams in your area this time of year. First is small Black Stoneflys. Usually they start in mid Feburary in my area and I have seen them as late as mid April a few hours north of me. Usually a size 16 or 18 hook is the fly size I use. Also Blue Winged Olives can be another fly emerging early in the year as well as other times throughout the year. They are a multibrood insects. Our early season ones are usually fairly small as some are in the 18 or even 20 hook size. As the later hatches of olives seem to be a little bigger flys. Also expect to start to see some caddis and or even a gray stone fly coming off on many lakes we fish. Not only trout but also pan fish in lakes eat them on a regular basics. If this is of interest I can post future post on other insect emergence later in the year. Tony
    It is almost April and our spring hatches have started in my area. Hendricksons are coming off and we should soon see some Grannom caddis. These usually last a few week or perhaps a little longer. Northern Pa will see these hatches in a few weeks or so. I was in southern Va last weekend and they were coming of fairly heavy. Time to get the gear ready if you have not already done so and have been on the water. Also Shad are starting to run so just add another fish to try for for the next month or so!Busy,busy,busy!!!