Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the " PRE" spawn exactly ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the " PRE" spawn exactly ?

i often wonder what constitutes pre spawn and then the spawn ? i always took it that when they stage up somewhere close to the shallow spawning grounds in the spring that was the pre spawn . but i hear and see folks saying things that contradict my thoughts . So if black and white crappie are set up in shallow water wearing spawning colors is that still the pre spawn ? the water temp was only 51.5 so according to the various studies and etc etc the 2 limits we managed in less than 3 feet of water on beds couldnt possibly be already spawning because the water temperature isnt just right .
    i am not trying to contradict anyone or start trouble in here i just dont fully understand the they are not actually spawning thing ? Will they in fact just hang around in those spots for a month or so until that magic 68 degree water temps are abundant ? The water temps yesterday did get up to 55 at 11 am when we left and it was 62 when i hit that spot last week . the cold front that came thru last week chilled it quite a bit as far as water temperatures but the fish in that spot continued to stack in there and color up .some of the females were dropping eggs in the ice chest and some of the male fish got EXTRA blackened after a bit in the enclosure . i would also say the males out numbered the females 3 or so to 1 .
    the fish i might just add were not colored up near as much last week when we last visited that lake .
    dont anyone go and get upset or anything i am just "fishin" for more information on this subject .
    bass and bream were up shallow as well and they seemed to be sporting full dress as well and it is a small lake if that helps with the diagnosis .
    please feel free to post your thoughts as i am always looking to know what the deal is with these tricky lil fish.
    and YES i think they are still in a bit of a prespawn situation out there . they dont look beat down enough just yet to me to be really doing it .
    have a great day ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishes are much like humans, they spend most their life in the "pre-spawn mode".
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes crappiewisdom, Redge, walrusambush LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I consider them to be in "pre-spawn" mode from the time they start leaving their Winter holding areas & head towards the shallows, until the males are sitting on the bed and the females are staged offshore & making trips back & forth from their staging area to the nesting area.

The actual "spawn" can be over in a few days, or due to various interruptions can last for several weeks. Not all the fish are on the same page as to what temps/conditions trigger them to head for the beds.

The fish in your picture are dressed for the dance, but probably haven't made it to the dance hall, just yet. And the eggs in the ice chest scenario "could" simply be because of the stress/strain of being caught (fighting against the rod).

The whole pre-spawn to spawn to post-spawn time frame is not a linear deal. The prevailing conditions can stop, start, or temporarily reverse the whole progression.

... cp
    Likes short grub, Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Fishes are much like humans, they spend most their life in the "pre-spawn mode".
    I think I may be entering the post spawn age.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.
    Likes scrat, Cane Pole, crappiewisdom, RogerA LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

When water temps rise and fish start visiting brush and stumps out from spawning areas is what a call pre-spawn or stage'n .

But I seldom fish spawning fish but prefer to catch bigger females and incoming males off the banks . All of them do not spawn at once and seems like here they stage and return to same spots post spawn . We see several different false runs many spring till temps stays right . Each cold snap pushing them back out . I see big females on shallow cover up to 2 months early . I guess taking advantage of water being warmed but not near ready to spawn .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I consider them to be in "pre-spawn" mode from the time they start leaving their Winter holding areas & head towards the shallows, until the males are sitting on the bed and the females are staged offshore & making trips back & forth from their staging area to the nesting area.

The actual "spawn" can be over in a few days, or due to various interruptions can last for several weeks. Not all the fish are on the same page as to what temps/conditions trigger them to head for the beds.

The fish in your picture are dressed for the dance, but probably haven't made it to the dance hall, just yet. And the eggs in the ice chest scenario "could" simply be because of the stress/strain of being caught (fighting against the rod).

The whole pre-spawn to spawn to post-spawn time frame is not a linear deal. The prevailing conditions can stop, start, or temporarily reverse the whole progression.

... cp
    Ain't this what I said in one sentence?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

good info crappie pappy and nimrod ...
    the sand bass are sure swollen up over here ...
    i think they are pretty close to doing something for sure ....
    thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

and the trinity river crappie have a tiny bit of color on them as well

Post Thanks / Like

and the white crappie in there are still pretty pale ...not much for colors on them just yet ...

Post Thanks / Like

The Cumberland River never gets above 54 degrees when they are back in generating mode and the Crappie spawn there every year. So temps are not the only factor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast