Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crappie tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie tubes

I am in southern ohio and we are having our typical end of winter weather, 50 degrees one day snow the next..
    when the crappie start moving in my goto lure is the southern pro tri color tubes just curious what other brands
    of tubes or curly tails everyone uses in other parts of the country?

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in eastern central Alabama and use Charlie Brewer Sliders. They have great tail action and come in lots of colors.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Western Mass here and this winter has really been one for the record books. Probably the mildest winter we've had in many, many seasons. A bit over a week ago we had sub zero temps and starting today - and for the next 4 days - temps will be in the mid 50's! Almost no snow this season either. I expect to wet the boat hull after this week on several lakes.

With that being said, we use to fish tubes quite a bit (almost exclusively) during the cold water seasons. However, as of the last two seasons of experimentation, we're finding that plain ole' straight tail plastics (i.e.: BGBS's) are producing with much greater consistency. You might want to give them a shot.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Dollfly LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

we're finding that plain ole' straight tail plastics (i.e.: BGBS's) are producing with much greater consistency.
    Definitely!

I'd have to say that thin tail, prong and rat rat tail grubs have replaced curl tail, shad tail and tubes for all of my pan fishing. For me the key is maximum action at the slowest possible retrieve. Even the three legged Strike King Joker (bottom right) did well in Dec. 2016.

Some I poured recently:
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 02-28-2016 at 06:16 PM.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are you looking when your using best baits on the market ? I like the Southern Pro baits in Umbrella and Walleye tubes . I won't use small baits cause I like using larger profile baits with bigger hooks and heavier jig heads when hunting slabs
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes Dollfly LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Bobby Garland baby shad . crappie logic from here on site .

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Slider and Southern Pro man, I do like the tri- colors!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on hollow tube baits a long time ago, not because they weren't producing, but because they tore up or were pulled down on the hook too easily. I went to solid body tubes from CrappiePro and used them successfully for years. Then started using the 'stinger shad' style of plastic bodies, and haven't really gone back to tubes since then.

I don't really care for curly tails, so I don't have very many of them. I prefer the 'boot tail' style body over a curly tail.

Brands I currently use include : Bass Assassin Panfish Assassins, Slab-a-nator Shad Body, Strike King Shadpole, & Charlie Brewer's Crappie Slider Grub, and occasionally a Southern Pro Crappie Craw.

Brands I intend to use in the near future : Mr Crappie Slabalicious, and Attack Pak Slab Commander 2" Small Fry.

... cp
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Mid South Tackle super jigs. They are tube jigs but a little bigger and thicker than most and have an abundance of colors. If a tube gets damaged to the point that it wants to slide down the hook often I simply rotate the jig 120 degrees and put it on the tapered hook again that way I can reuse it up to 3 times. Also being a little thicker they don't seem to tear as easily. I can even get them on a 1/4 oz #1 tapered hook.

Post Thanks / Like

gets damaged to the point that it wants to slide down the hook often I simply rotate the jig
    To this day I still don't understand why this suggestion I posted years ago hasn't been used; the fish are no more spooked by the wire grub lock than they are by the wire hook sticking out of the lure. I even use it on 1/32 oz jigs with tiny #8 hooks and always catch fish that the lure provokes into striking. What's more are my use of jigs with no lead barb or collar.Name:  jig size chart.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  31.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 02-29-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast