Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Whats your setup for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Whats your setup for crappie

Thought it would be cool to see everyones setup for crappie in ohio. Like your rod, reel, line jig presentations?

Myself use shimnao reels and rods never let me down yet. Line keep it simple useing triline 6-8 pound test. Found out that 4 pound is to small sometimes catfish will be in the same area as crappie.:D As far as bait goes good old minnows still work i like to use bass and crappie. Also have had some sucess using rosy reds. Double rig jigs casting tube bait and roadrunners.

Casting is my favorite presentation but seeing a cork go under or moving still gets me going. Whats your setup?

Post Thanks / Like

I have two setups I use a tinylite reel and rod with 4lb test line with a crappie hook, float and a minnow. Then my other rod and reel is a mitchel spinning setup again with 4lb test line and a 1/8 jig but it all does the trick.

Good fishing
    Bubba
    Last edited by Bubba222; 02-05-2007 at 08:56 PM.
    "Take Life one fish at a time"

Post Thanks / Like

Post Crappie Setup

I have a pair of 10' Sam Heatons with a pair of ultra lites (can't remember brand) reels spooled with 6lb Sensation.

Presentations:
    Tubes - Pink/White, Dark Blue, Chartruse, White - on 1/32 - 1/16 - 1/8Jigs or Roadrunners
    Slow Trolling - Bandits, Rapalas
    Live - Can't beat Minnows (neaver leave the shore with out them)

Later
    Dawg

five3echo Guest

I agree with minnows.... try 2 minnows on a single hook.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite way to fish is casting 1/16 oz jigs on 4# test. If there lots of cover I go to 6# test. If the fish want a slower presentation I'll switch to a 1/32 oz jig. Favorite color is black/chart tube followed by red/chart tube.

But I have to agree w/ Crappie Wisdom... there's something about seeing that float slip across the surface before sliding under under water. Ya never really out grow that.

steelheadbob Guest

I use a drop shot bobber trick when i drift minnows along the shore. i use a slip bobber with a drop shot at the end, #2 true turn hook 1 foot up and a #4 hook 2 feet above that, ive found that produces alot of fish for me when i drift it along the shore line, that way the drop shot will hit the bottom first unlike the normal split shoot then hook set up and you wont snag on bottom as much to.

bbobber Guest

Default Crappie Setup

We use two Trout or Crappie Magnets ( LeLand Lures ) 18 inch apart, 1/2 ounce bottom bouncer 12 inches below the bottom Crappie Magnet. Tip with Minnows or grubs. Many colors in these LeLand Lures Bodys, Web site is lelandlures.com

check it out

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite set up is an 5'6" ultralite rod and an ultra lite reel with 4# line. I like the feel 4# gives, and in my opinion, breaking off easier is a good thing when the crappie are in the brush. Yeah, you lose your jig, but you may break off before spooking all the fish out trying to pull off. I like to cast 1/32oz jigs with twister tail grubs if they are active. I also use 10' and 12' rods for jigging and trolling jigs, crankbaits and minnows. Gotta also have at least one rod set up with a slip float rig for when they want something alive. For that I will use 8 pound line and aberdeen hooks, which can be straightened out with steady pressure to get off a snag most times.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com