Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrova

Post Thanks / Like

Default Terrova

I have always had cable controlled trolling motors. I'm thinking about switching to a terrova. I am wondering if turning would be as responsive? What are the pros and cons?

Post Thanks / Like

remote is awesome love everything about it, while bass fishing though I find the foot controller to be a bit stiff and its easy to accidently hitvthe constant button and no realize. Looked up and about ran into a seawall once. Over all would say its the best piece of equipment i've ever bought for my boat!
    Likes ccollins LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Terrova is as good as it get (except Ulterra). Quit bass fishing and start enjoying life. Crappie rules.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my Terrova, but I think it depends on the type fishing you do. If you mostly fish one pole either jigging or casting I think cable control is probably your best bet. If you spider rig, long line, pull cranks and just pole fish once in awhile then the Terrova is the way to go. Ipilot anchor lock and the other features are well worth it. Using the foot pedal takes a little getting used to but can be done just not quite as responsive as the cable.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

The terrova is a lot slower turning than a cable. The foot pedal is not as nice to use as a cable steer either. It is very nice with I pilot though. Record a track, set cruise control and fish.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Like most, my boat came with a cable steer. Works great in tight cover and picking pockets. But I had a previous boat with a 40lb power drive and missed the hands off nature of it. With the power drive you can turn the constant on button on and turn up the power til the blade barely turns and ease down a bank with no more contact with the TM than an occasional bump left or right to keep you on track. I used that a lot.

Now it was time to get one for the new boat and there was no question in my mind, it would be another power drive of some kind. I wanted the boards to be sealed against the elements and a couple of guides had advised the same so I went with a riptide salt water version. Available $ bumped me away from a Terrova but I did get an auto pilot. That was 4 years ago and I have had no issues with it. I do wish for the I-Pilot all the time and can add it but lose the pedal when I do. One day I'll put a Terrova on the front and trade this one off. If I wait til it quits I probably have a long wait. There is a bit of a learning curve, I bass fished with my first one so I know it isn't impossible. I feel it's one of the best additions you can put on your boat. One thing I will say is to make sure that you buy one big enough to hold your boat in wind AND current. The cable steer worked great for maneuvering but in a wind I could have it wide open, facing the wind and lose ground. With my 70 lb if it won't hold me in the wind it's time to go home. Good luck with your choice, I know a Terrova would be mine.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

as Skeetbum pointed out they both are good, but for different styles of fishing. I've got a Maxxum foot control and it's good up in the tree tops, but I just got a terrova
    with I-pilot that I'm putting on a quick change mount to use for rigging and open water fishing.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Man you guys Rock. Thanks for all the input.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a terrova and love it. Spider rigging,long lining,and pulling cranks it's great. I also catfish a lot and dragging baits is its forte. I don't have I-pilot but wish I did. I also have a 36 volt and have never run out of motor so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok next question. Most lakes I fish ( indiana) are only available on navionics. Would you recommend ipilot or ipilot link?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast