Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How will I know?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How will I know?

Well guys/gals, after being on Cotile Lake now for 5 months, I still have not figured out how to catch the crappie there yet! I will have to admit though, after a few unproductive trips, the wife and I have spent most of our time bass fishing. This lake is just so different from what I am used to fishing. I grew up fishing on Chicot Lake and Cocodrie Lake. They are both shallow lakes with trees in them. This lake, though not deep like Toledo Bend, is mostly 15 - 20 feet deep, and NO trees. Plenty of stumps, but no trees. I know there are some big crappie here because I have caught some real nice ones on my yo-yo's, but even on them, the most I have caught in one night is 5. I just can't seem to understand how to catch them in open water with a rod. I have not tried trolling, or sitting in one place and jigging straight down. And, if that is what it takes to catch them here, I won't. We just don't enjoy fishing like that.
    BUT! Sooner or later, they will have to move to the banks to spawn. When they do, I think I will be able to cach them then using the techniques that I do know. Thing is, when will I know that they have moved to the banks? Is there a way to know or do we need to just fish the banks from now on through spring until we find them?
    Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenmc77777
    Well guys/gals, after being on Cotile Lake now for 5 months, I still have not figured out how to catch the crappie there yet! I will have to admit though, after a few unproductive trips, the wife and I have spent most of our time bass fishing. This lake is just so different from what I am used to fishing. I grew up fishing on Chicot Lake and Cocodrie Lake. They are both shallow lakes with trees in them. This lake, though not deep like Toledo Bend, is mostly 15 - 20 feet deep, and NO trees. Plenty of stumps, but no trees. I know there are some big crappie here because I have caught some real nice ones on my yo-yo's, but even on them, the most I have caught in one night is 5. I just can't seem to understand how to catch them in open water with a rod. I have not tried trolling, or sitting in one place and jigging straight down. And, if that is what it takes to catch them here, I won't. We just don't enjoy fishing like that.
    BUT! Sooner or later, they will have to move to the banks to spawn. When they do, I think I will be able to cach them then using the techniques that I do know. Thing is, when will I know that they have moved to the banks? Is there a way to know or do we need to just fish the banks from now on through spring until we find them?
    Thanks for the help!

Hello, Ken.......There are times even in winter that you can find crappie shallow, say 6 to 12 ft. Explore the shorelines and the shallow pockets on the North side/end of the lake looking for drops and structure, flats next to creek channels, long points that taper from shallow to deep. (Remember when I say shallow I'm refering to 6 to 12 ft.) This time in winter the sun, being in the southern sky, will warm the northern shorelines more than the south bank. Crappie are looking for warmer water, available forage, and structure. They will be at the depth that is warmest.....find that depth with structure and forage and you can catch them, most of the time. There are times when just getting a hit will be the highlight of your day, but just like in bassin, no guarantees. That said, when the weather has been very cold, look deep in the channels, when you've had a number of unusually warm days, take a look in shallower water if they've left the channels. I would also recommend minnows for winter, or jigs tipped with minnows (my favorite). Ken, the only shortcut I can give you is to spend a day with a good guide or a buddy that knows where and how to catch 'em in your lake, otherwise, it will take time, patience, and considerable effort. My favorite method in winter is drifting deep water with jigheads with minnows (no tubes). I can give you this guarantee......that first day you track those crappie to their hiding place, you will feel a satisfaction almost as enjoyable as catching them, and that's only the starting point!
    RE.....prespawn: check with your local LDWF office and ask the biologist at what temp they will start stageing to shallow water. A pool thermometer with a string and a weight works if you don't have any electronics. Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill!
    Something my wife (best fishing buddy!) and I were discussing and I'm sure you can get us straight on: If the fish move to deeper water when it gets cold, why is it they will surface at night to get caught on shiners set on yo-yo's 2 inches below the surface? If they are down deep, how do they know it's night - and the water temp probably drops a few degrees at the surface at night?
    Another thing I have noticed, I catch them on the yo-yo's "most often" right after sunset to dark and daybreak to sun up? Wonder why that is? Maybe that is when I should be fishing them with my rod and reel! :D
    You mentioned tipping the jigs with shiners Bill. Just this weekend, one of my friends went fishing down around Lake Veret with an elderly gentleman. They found the fish Sunday, but had to leave while the bite was still on, and ended up with only a dozen - but they were all nice. He told me his buddy taught him to tip the jigs with a little piece of worm. I figure that is sure worth a try - and would be pretty inexpensive, stay on the hook well, give off a little smell as well as taste when you do get one to bite???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill!
    Something my wife (best fishing buddy!) and I were discussing and I'm sure you can get us straight on: If the fish move to deeper water when it gets cold, why is it they will surface at night to get caught on shiners set on yo-yo's 2 inches below the surface? If they are down deep, how do they know it's night - and the water temp probably drops a few degrees at the surface at night?
    Another thing I have noticed, I catch them on the yo-yo's "most often" right after sunset to dark and daybreak to sun up? Wonder why that is? Maybe that is when I should be fishing them with my rod and reel! :D
    You mentioned tipping the jigs with shiners Bill. Just this weekend, one of my friends went fishing down around Lake Veret with an elderly gentleman. They found the fish Sunday, but had to leave while the bite was still on, and ended up with only a dozen - but they were all nice. He told me his buddy taught him to tip the jigs with a little piece of worm. I figure that is sure worth a try - and would be pretty inexpensive, stay on the hook well, give off a little smell as well as taste when you do get one to bite???

Hello again, Ken......So that I don't mislead you, I'm not an expert by any measure, but if you browse this site often and read the posts, as all of us have done, you cannot help but increase your knowledge. With crappie, as with any fish, there is nothing 100%. I've caught them in the shallows when they should have been deep, and deep when they should have been shallow. As an example, in reading the N. Carolina board posted by rango and his "nightstalkers" (they are avid night fishers) on a recent trip, they caught crappie from 2 ft. from the surface down to right up from bottom in 20+ ft of water under their lights. There have been times when they could see crappie on the bank in as little as a foot of water. Crappie are more willing to go shallow in stained/muddy water in order to have enough light to forage. The twilight minutes at dawn and dusk are sometimes productive in waters that are not too stained or muddy, but when the sun gets higher they go deeper and sometimes can be found at the first significant drops. As for how they know day and night, their eyes are able to see in what we would call black dark. I've read several sources that indicate their vision is as much as ten times more sensitive than ours. I've personally watched crappie feeding on some kind of small black creatures on the bottom in 24 ft. of water with an Aqua-Vu camera. Without the Infra-Red turned on, I could see absolutely nothing, but they could find and eat their prey. In the dark of night, they will brave colder water close to the top to find forage. You mentioned setting your yo-yo bait depth at just a couple inches, I have also fished with yo yo's, and the only reason I set my depth that shallow was to avoid hooking catfish, and like you, still caught crappie. :D

As for worms, crickets and my favorite, baby crawfish.....go with what you've got, they are all on the crappie menu. Unfortunately, the small mudbugs are only available in spring, but if you have what we call a "ditch net" you can catch all you want in just a few minutes in water filled ditches. If you have no live bait, try tipping your jigs with nibbles. I've seen times they wouldn't bite without them. Hope some of this makes sense.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again La. Bill!
    Hoping you didn't take anything I said the wrong way - I am just trying to figure things out.
    We are very fortunate indeed to have this forum! Especially where we have enough (well not really!) of us that are all local to one another to share info.

I was thinking as I was writing this, we keep getting more ways to out smart the fish ..... but they still out smart me! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Ken

I can relate. I'm from Louisiana and bass fished all my life, but I have moved to Lake LaFouche this past spring after being in Houston for 20 years.
    I also started Speck fishing more devoted than ever when we moved here. At first, i was pleased with a few fish a day...you know...five or six...until I started meeting people and finding out that 20 fish was more of an average daily catch here. I tried everything...live bait...different jigs and technigues...etc.

Finally..i got more neighborly with some folks here..and they 'shared' the secret. I was doing everthing wrong. I had been fishing with a 30 year old 8 foot glass flyrod and 12 lb. test line and 1/4 oz/ white jigs. Caught a few..but no consistency.

Now..I use a 10 ft. Graphite HiTek Jiggin' Stick, 6 lb. test line and i tye my own 3/16 oz. bronze hook jigs. I Have even ordered an additional Sam Heaton Super Sensitive pole. Seems i was close to the fish..but i just couldn't 'feel' the subtle hit.

I am by no means an expert..but do consider myself a knowledgeable fisherman. I sure hope this helps you too.
    " I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more war. " Abbie Hoffman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Ken

I can relate. I'm from Louisiana and bass fished all my life, but I have moved to Lake LaFouche this past spring after being in Houston for 20 years.
    I also started Speck fishing more devoted than ever when we moved here. At first, i was pleased with a few fish a day...you know...five or six...until I started meeting people and finding out that 20 fish was more of an average daily catch here. I tried everything...live bait...different jigs and technigues...etc.

Finally..i got more neighborly with some folks here..and they 'shared' the secret. I was doing everthing wrong. I had been fishing with a 30 year old 8 foot glass flyrod and 12 lb. test line and 1/4 oz/ white jigs. Caught a few..but no consistency.

Now..I use a 10 ft. Graphite HiTek Jiggin' Stick, 6 lb. test line and i tye my own 3/16 oz. bronze hook jigs. I Have even ordered an additional Sam Heaton Super Sensitive pole. Seems i was close to the fish..but i just couldn't 'feel' the subtle hit.

I am by no means an expert..but do consider myself a knowledgeable fisherman. I sure hope this helps you too.
    MACK, I got me one of those Sam Heaton 10 footers. It is nice. What I like about it, besides the sensitivity is how light it is. When I got the rod Cabelas also sent one of those plastic fly reels with it. I can fish all day long and never notice the rod and reel weight.
    You say you tie your own jigs. Do you do this with a fly tying kit (vise, spool holder and such)
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ken......

Thanks again La. Bill!
    Hoping you didn't take anything I said the wrong way - I am just trying to figure things out.
    We are very fortunate indeed to have this forum! Especially where we have enough (well not really!) of us that are all local to one another to share info.

I was thinking as I was writing this, we keep getting more ways to out smart the fish ..... but they still out smart me! :D
    Sorry to be so long in getting back to you....been having some 'puter problems.

I don't see anything you said that I would take the wrong way. I enjoy sharing info if I can, one of the bennies of the site. Don't be shy about asking questions, even the best fishermen and women on this site are still trying to solve the big puzzle. We all get outsmarted sometimes, we just try harder. It's a challenge to figure them out, and like I said on a previous post, you will enjoy the hunt almost as much catching them. The more you fish, the easier it is to keep up with 'em. It's sorta like the "hide and seek" game you played as a kid....the more you "seek", the easier it is to "find."

You're right about crappie.com...I've never seen a site that will share information as readily as the good people here. That's what makes it the best on the web in my opinion. Keep trying, Ken, it will take some persistence but it's worth the trouble. Good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deacon and Mack.....

Hey Deacon.....got started tieing the jigs this am. They will be in the mail in a couple days.

Mack....Good to see you posting. Looks like you're gearing up to give the crappie a hard time. :D Try not to catch 'em all, and by all means tell us the details and post a pic!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Boy! Now you guys have my attention! Jig Tying!
    How can I learn? But first, if you guys don't mind, I will start a new thread.
    As well as one on jig pole and jig pole fishing - something I have never tried. Probably because where I "used to fish" was in trees and shallow water. All we needed was rod and reel, and use a very light bobber - fixed between 18" to 24" with a tube. But where we live now, the lake is wide open, and the lake is between 15 - 20 feet, and maybe I need to get jig poles. I would appreciate any advise? Keep in mind, everything I get has to be in 2's - my wife is almost a permanet fixture in my boat (my bestest fishing buddy!).
    Once again - Thanks everyone!
    Ken Mc
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast