Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Line for Spider Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Line for Spider Rigging

What line do you prefer when your spider rigging, braid, mono or something else and why? I have heard some run the braid then use a drop mono leader to the jig but I was planning on just going all the way with braid. I just went out and got some 15 lb. Suffix Braid, never used it before but planning on giving it a try.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie84 View Post
    What line do you prefer when your spider rigging, braid, mono or something else and why? I have heard some run the braid then use a drop mono leader to the jig but I was planning on just going all the way with braid. I just went out and got some 15 lb. Suffix Braid, never used it before but planning on giving it a try.
    If I was using 10-15lb test braid, I'd consider tying direct to the jig. But, as it is, I'm using 30lb test braid & tying a 12-18" mono leader of 6lb test to the duo lock clip on the end of the braid. The braid was already on the reels when I bought them, so I just left it there.
    But, yeah ... I use 10/2 PowerPro hi-vis braid on one of my casting outfits and tie direct to the bait, and still catch fish with it, so I wouldn't be opposed to using it on my long rods.

... cp
    Likes Lonnie84 LIKED above post

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to use braid for spider rigging but had a LOT of trouble with it wrapping around the tips of my poles and ended up taking it off, just my
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us
    Likes Tony the Tiger, Lonnie84, nixon, yikess LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RogerA View Post
    I tried to use braid for spider rigging but had a LOT of trouble with it wrapping around the tips of my poles and ended up taking it off, just my
    I had the same issue with it wrapping around the rod tips. Let a catfish wrap it around your other lines and you might as well get your knife out and cut them all.
    Likes Lonnie84, yikess LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used braid for a long time and had issues with tip wrap. I now use a Stren fused line. It has same property's as braid but a little stiffer and eliminates tip wrap. I run a 12/4 line. I use 10 lb mono to tie all my rigs so I can break of when hung up. The main thing in using braid is set your drag real light or your going to break a rod at some point. You might be surprised how light you can set your drag and still lift a fish.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I tried braid a couple of different times. Just didn't like it. I put 10# mono on baitcasters and use a 4# leader attached to a barrel swivel. Rarely have to retie anything but the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 15# hi vis mono main line with 6# clear mono leaders that just clip to a snap swivel at the end of my main line. My leaders are pre tied with jigs or hooks. The main line on my CnC trolling rigs is also 15# with snap swivels for attaching 6# leaders pre tied with hooks and jigs. When ever I hang up I only loose a hook or a jig if I have to break off that can be quickly replaced with a pre tie. I think in the stained water I fish you could catch fish with 50# nylon though. I had the same issue with braid tangling.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 12 lb. mono,main line with 8lb. minnow rigs .

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like 15lb Trilene Big Game solar with a 14lb Seagar floro leader ...

I ain't got time for re-rigging while watching 12 rods ...

Rip that "hangup" out of the brush - restraighten the hook = and get it back in the water ...

Every second retying or rerigging a break off is a second that bait is not in the water where the fish are ...

I highly doubt there is statistical evidence proving light poundage floro leader catches more fish than heavier poundage floro leader ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 02-27-2016 at 10:25 AM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

10 lb mono for me don't like braid only if I'm casting I use braid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast