Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spin Cast Reel: Handle On Right Or Left ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spin Cast Reel: Handle On Right Or Left ?

Hello,

I have never used a Spincast type of reel before, but will probably be getting one for
    my Grandson (5-1/2) for his first outfit.

Question: do most folks retrieve with the handle on the left or right side ?

They all seem to come pre-set from the factory with the handle on the right.

But, for me at least, I would think that a left hand retrieve, and holding the rod in right would be the most comfortable ?
    (I'm right handed)

Any thoughts on ?

Bob
    Likes crappielimits LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Start him out with left hand retrieve and if he doesn't like change handle to other side as about all are made to switch from right or left retrieve. I prefer cranking with left hand.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything on the right for me but anytime someone else picks up one of my spin cast reels they all say it’s backwards? All my baitcasters are on the right???
    Likes Cardsfan55, barrelslime LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert11 View Post
    Hello,

I have never used a Spincast type of reel before, but will probably be getting one for
    my Grandson (5-1/2) for his first outfit.

Question: do most folks retrieve with the handle on the left or right side ?

They all seem to come pre-set from the factory with the handle on the right.

But, for me at least, I would think that a left hand retrieve, and holding the rod in right would be the most comfortable ?
    (I'm right handed)

Any thoughts on ?
    My thought would be to give him a cane pole or telescopic BnM pole. At that age, I think a reel unnecessarily complicates things. Keep it simple. Most of the cheap spincast reels are garbage, anyway.
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am told I fish backwards. All the handles are on the right
    Likes Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    I am told I fish backwards. All the handles are on the right
    I have fished nothing but spinning reels for years and always reel with my left hand. Recently, though, I borrowed my brother's spincast and reeled with my right hand.

It felt WEIRD.

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy him a good push button reel myself (aka) closed face spinning reel
    Wally makes a dock shooter version rod and reel combo that is priced just right and should be perfect for him
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Redge, RogerA LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Left hand for spinning, right for spin cast and trolling reels.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we talking "spincast" reel (closed face/push button) or "spinning" reel (open face/flip bail)

Spinning reels can be left/right handle interchangeable ... but, I don't remember spincast reels having that option. Now, you "can" buy left hand retrieve spincast reels (like the Shakespeare Synergy Ti6 spincast) or the same model in an underspin style reel. You'd just have to have the appropriate style rod for whichever one of them you choose.

I'm dominantly right handed, but prefer baitcast reels with handle on the right. All my spinning reels have the handle on the left. I learned to cast with a spincast, handle on the left ... but, when I started using a baitcast reel, I learned to use it by casting with my right hand and putting the reel into my left hand at the end of the cast, then retrieving right handed. I couldn't hit a barn door casting left handed ... but I can turn the handle left handed ... so I still use those style reels the same way I originally learned to use them. And I can switch from one to the other without even thinking about it.

I do have two buddies, one right handed & the other left handed ... both of whom have their spinning reel handles on the right. I pick up their rods and it just feels wrong

Whatever kind of reel you get for him, be sure his hand can maintain control of the rod/reel ... especially if he's going to be casting with it. Get one that's small enough so that he can maintain a grip on the rod handle with four fingers while pushing/releasing the button (spincast reel). I've seen some spincast outfits get thrown completely out of a child's hand, because the reel was too big/heavy for the child's grip. Underspin reels allow the thumb to help grip the rod handle, and just use the trigger finger to release the line.

NOTE : I used the Shakespeare Synergy model reels as an example only ... not as a recommendation or commendation on their ease of use or value.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

when my son was young I bought him a Shakespeare rod and reel combo at Walmart and it had the interchangeable handle (left or right) and he fished left handed for a while then right now it is all right but on his flipping gear it is left.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast