Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor Blowing fuses

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor Blowing fuses

Whenever I hook trolling motor up its blowing a 40 amp fuse. Any clue as to why? Where should I start? Can't find any exposed wires.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a motor that you have used before or is it a motor that you just got? Have you checked the battery polarity? What brand and size of trolling motor is it? Does the prop turn freely by hand? Is it turned on before you attempt to hook it up?

You need to give more information for us to go on.

Post Thanks / Like

Min Kota Edge 45 lb. It's been working fine since I bought it in May of last year with one exception-Seller said it will blow fuse when ran on #5 so I've always kept it at 4 and below. Polarity is fine and prop spins freely. Tried it both ways-off and on and it blew both ways.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would pull the prop and make sure there isn't mono line around the shaft. Might pull the head and check for signs of arcing.You might loosen the screws on the motor and check for water in the motor itself. After that I would take it to a MinnKota service center.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nccater View Post
    Seller said it will blow fuse when ran on #5 so I've always kept it at 4 and below.
    This sounds like you are using wire that is too small. I am going to guess that somewhere in the wire run from the battery(s) to the TM you will find the two wires melted together causing the short. If you can unplug the TM and see if it still blows the fuse - which should be a circuit breaker. If is does than I am convinced your wires are shorted. If you do and the fuse doesn't blow then your malfunction is in the motor (not good).

Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have a short in the head of the unit. Probably the "old" problem just got worse.

Post Thanks / Like

How do I pull the head off and also where is the "motor" on it?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

#1 to take the head off which is the plastic cover on top of shaft, should be 4 screws on the underneath side that are recessed Phillips #2 screws. Remove those four screws and pop the top cover off. You should see a couple of wire connectors for the main black and Red wires coming in. Right here I need to ask a question, is it a hand control or foot control? If hand control those wires will connect to a 5 speed switch, if so disconnect those 2 wires then plug in and see if it blows fuse. If not then it is not in wiring from battery to this point. Now with plug unplugged, hook those 2 wires back up and you should find more wires that run from that switch down thru the shaft, disconnect these and make you a simple drawing of connection points before disconnect. With them disconnected plug it back up and see if it blows fuse, if it does then switch is your problem and needs replacing. If not then hook all wires back up and plug back in, if it blows this time it's a motor problem and probably not much you can do. Also when first looking at the switch check each connection for being loose or burned and melted wire right by connection. If you have a bad connection it can cause you problems like this. Just cut off spade connector and crimp on a new one. This same bunch of trouble shooting steps works for foot control also except the switch is mounted under the foot pedal ans is where the speed control knob is. And you don't have to pull head cover off to do most of those steps on foot control.

# 2 Your motor itself is the part on end of shaft that propeller is attached to.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes dfar, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I would pull the prop and make sure there isn't mono line around the shaft. Might pull the head and check for signs of arcing.You might loosen the screws on the motor and check for water in the motor itself. After that I would take it to a MinnKota service center.
    what he said and check plug for wire/post damage .

Post Thanks / Like

I was having a similar problem when I first installed my 45 lb. Edge when using a fuse. I fixed the problem by installing a Sea Dog re-settable 50 amp circuit breaker that I purchased off Amazon. You also need to make sure you are using the recommended wire gauge. It is is not heavy enough, you will blow fuses/breaker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast