Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: winter crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default winter crappie

Newbie at winter time crappie do crappie seek deeper water or is it the structure they are seeking? What would be considered to shallow for winter crappie water?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might find some info in this thread : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/begin...-crappie-tips/

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortdraw View Post
    Newbie at winter time crappie do crappie seek deeper water or is it the structure they are seeking? What would be considered to shallow for winter crappie water?
    You might check out the Kansas forum. Those guys give out reports on their recent outings. Nothing specific but they do say what depth and cover they are finding them in. Probably the best info. When I was out recently I fished in 25-30 fow. After seeing the Kansas forum for the lake I was on I probably should have been in 15-20. This could be of the warmer weather. from the stuff I've read crappie are extremely mobile and probably more resilient than most fish to the cooling waters. So unfortunately you can't rule out any "spot". The one common thing i see is if you can find one you'll find a bunch. I'm still looking...,
    Happy fishing...
    Dev

Post Thanks / Like

Like Slowboat says, you're better off checking on local fishing forums if available. However, crappie move and spawn based on two things: water temperature and current conditions. Not on what "time" (our time) or season of the year it happens to be.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on many factors (water temps , water body average depth ) But even in winter where Crappie maybe holding 20 to 40' deep to move up shallow on warm sunny afternoons .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs