Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Casting rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting rod

Wanting a new rod for casting. Looking at a B & M Sam Heaton 7'. Would this be the right length and weight rod? Thanks
    A person should learn something new every day!

Post Thanks / Like

I like and use a B&M Crappie Wizard 7'6" CW75. They are getting hard to find though.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What all you going to be casting? I think if I was going to be casting corks and jigs I would opt for the B&M float and fly. Or one of the mite lite rods from BassPro. The Sam Heaton will work good for just casting jigs. But tip to me is just a little light.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat49 View Post
    Wanting a new rod for casting. Looking at a B & M Sam Heaton 7'. Would this be the right length and weight rod? Thanks
    Length & weight are fine, IMHO. But, "action" makes a difference to some people ... and the action of a Sam Heaton rod is "soft" or "slow". What that means is the rod bends over nearly the entire length of the blank. It sort of bends like this : (

A rod with a faster action tip, that bends more like this : J ... generates greater momentum for length of cast, plus more backbone power on the hookset (with less rod/arm movement).

This "difference" led me to set aside my 7' Sam Heaton Signature Series rod, in favor of a 6'6" fast action tip rod from the ESP line of rods. No kick against the Sam Heaton ... it's a fine rod, and I still use it, just not for casting jigs. And I have no $$ issues of one vs the other to sway my opinion, since I won the Sam Heaton in a tourney & received the ESP free as a field tester for the designer. That being said .... if the rod will also be for slip float/jig usage, I cannot recommend the ESP line of rods because of the micro guides & tip, which are not user friendly with most bobber stops. And if a slip float, or even a clip-on float, is to be used with any regularity ... I'd opt for a 7'-8' length rod, with standard size or larger guides & tip eye. The rods that "Cray" or "Clint" have suggested would be good choices, IMHO. And I'd probably lean towards the BnM Float/Fly rod that "Cray" mentioned ... seeing as how I own 2 of the 8' models (which, by the way, were also field tester freebies from BnM).

This is all just my opinion, of course ... and your preferences may differ.

... cp

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up a 7ft Denali dock rod. Great for slider fishing or just casting jigs. Google it.