Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Minner count

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Minner count

Which of the stores around Truman have the best minner count? Anyone bought from Tightwad C store? How's their minner count? I know Bucksaw has a very good minner count whenever I buy there, but they are't open yet. Everyhart sucks. They sit and count your minners one at a time I swear.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had the "count" experience at Everharts, they give a decent count. You also have to take into account cost, Everharts is $2/dz, Tightwad 2.38/dz, Bucksaw, if I remember right, was north of $3/dz last year. Might not have Bucksaw right, but seems like it in my memory bank.

Either one and Sparrowfoot as well, all good shops.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.
    Likes dfar LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

$3 per dozen!!!! Holy cow if they ever get that high where I buy them I'll just fish exclusively with jigs.
    "In my father's house are many mansions..." John 14:2

Post Thanks / Like

Find a pond somewhere and catch your own minnows. My father has a pond and I throw some catfish food out and use a 5' cast net and catch all the minnows I use.
    The 5' cast net is 1/4" mesh and it cost about $50.00 but with care they last a long time and catch enough minnows to pay for itself several times over. Most farm ponds have minnows and most farmers don't mind letting you have the bait. Here is a picture(not real clear) of some minnows in the pond I get them out of.Name:  IMAG0171.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  18.4 KBName:  IMAG0172.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  22.2 KB
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G.Gordon View Post
    Never had the "count" experience at Everharts, they give a decent count. You also have to take into account cost, Everharts is $2/dz, Tightwad 2.38/dz, Bucksaw, if I remember right, was north of $3/dz last year. Might not have Bucksaw right, but seems like it in my memory bank.

Either one and Sparrowfoot as well, all good shops.
    Bucksaw was $2.50ish last year, but they were good size shiners, not the little bitty fathead ones. One time the one boy working the marina store gave me 3 dozen that looked like 6 dozen or so. I was fishing with 3 other guys using the same bucket of minners and we limited out on crappie with plenty of minners leftover for another days worth of fishing. There were that many.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to Mississippi and see how much they cost down there. $35-$45 a day for bait. Most shops sell them by the 50ct or 100ct and yes they count each minnow individually. Minnows are a break even investment at best for bait shops. I figure 95% or more of the bait shops around here pay for them buy the minnow so why wouldn't the fisherman. Some places I have been such as one shop on Grenada they sell them by the pound and price per pound depends on size of bait your buying. It is a more fair way of making sure everyone gets what they pay for. I just don't get when guys say they want 3 dozen minnow and complain when there is only 40 or so in their bucket. If you wanted 60 ask for 60. When I was working the shop the only guys that ever complained about minnow count were the same ones that never spent a dime on anything else in the store. Drop the minnow bucket off at front, then go tear up the bathroom and come back up and complain about a poor minnow count. Happened several times a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    Go to Mississippi and see how much they cost down there. $35-$45 a day for bait. Most shops sell them by the 50ct or 100ct and yes they count each minnow individually. Minnows are a break even investment at best for bait shops. I figure 95% or more of the bait shops around here pay for them buy the minnow so why wouldn't the fisherman. Some places I have been such as one shop on Grenada they sell them by the pound and price per pound depends on size of bait your buying. It is a more fair way of making sure everyone gets what they pay for. I just don't get when guys say they want 3 dozen minnow and complain when there is only 40 or so in their bucket. If you wanted 60 ask for 60. When I was working the shop the only guys that ever complained about minnow count were the same ones that never spent a dime on anything else in the store. Drop the minnow bucket off at front, then go tear up the bathroom and come back up and complain about a poor minnow count. Happened several times a week.
    Now I will say the place I buy minnows gives you a decent amount for a good price; therefore if I need gas, beer, or anything convenience store like I try to buy from them also. When I went to Lake Fork the minnows were more expensive but they were as long as the palm of my hand, and lasted two days.
    "In my father's house are many mansions..." John 14:2

Post Thanks / Like

As long as I get twelve per dozen I feel I'm getting a good count. Anything over that is a giveaway by the business which I appreciate and pay back by buying ice, snacks, batteries for aerator etc from the same business. Having said that, most of the shape around Truman give good minnow counts, some more than others if they know you're going to buy other items.
    Bulletman aka Tommy
    Likes Rees Guide, long poler, cricket1985 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you are coming in from the south like I do, stop in Osceola and see Fuzzy at Fuzzy's Booze And Bait. Good bait and good count.
    Last edited by DOFC; 02-24-2016 at 08:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The count is definitely something I consider when having the option of places to buy minnows. I consider a good count an advertising method and I buy other stuff in the store based upon that generous count. I avoid places who count each minnow and usually comment on them when they start down that road. One of my favorite jabs is "Damn- I didn't realize I was buying your pet minnows! Just so I know, did you give each of them NAMES as well?" If we have the power of our patronage and business, might as well give them input and let them know what we are considering when we buy from them.

That being said, I have a couple places in St. Joe, and Dicks Bait and Tackle is by far the best count for minnows. Their size may be variable, but I don't care if I get enough of the size I use.
    Likes cy912 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast