Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly fishing question

So, this is a basic question, but I feel I need to ask, since I'm not sure. I tie a lot of small poppers and spiders for bluegill and other small sunfish. I also tie several wet patterns (will ya, crayfish patterns, clouser minnows, etc.) very light weight still, but they do sink. Here is my problem, though...when throwing anything larger than really small poppers or dry flies, it seems I can feel the weight of the fly instead of the weight of the line more. this is causing the fly to slam into the water and not allowing for a long cast. I use a 4wt rod, with small tippet. Some have hinted that if I use a larger tippet size (I use 4x now I believe), that it will fix this problem. Is this the case, or do I need to get a larger wt rod (5, 5/6, 6, 7...)? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Just for clarification, I started tying crayfish and clouser patterns to try to get into the spotted bass and smallmouth action in local streams. . Again, thanks for any advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Questions and comments:

1) How long have you been fly fishing?

2). Are you using a WF line?

3). Did you put the line on the reel yourself?

You might try a 5wt line before buying a new rod. A 4wt rod will easily cast a 5wt line. The 5wt line will handle bigger flies better.
    Likes Squirminator, Spiderdog62 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What size flies are you throwing?

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid, I fly fished for a few years on and off with a Walmart 6wt rod. Stopped for a long time, and a couple years ago picked up a 4wt at BassPro Shops. Been using it almost exclusively for about 2 years, but as stated, only used very small 10, 12, and 14 dry flies and poppers, but with no problem. This only happens when using wet flies with a little weight on them, or when they get waterlogged a bit. Yes, use weight forward line. Not saying line weight is problem, but it seems to carry flies fine, the problem seems more in area between fly line and fly (leader and/or tippet)? Almost like not stiff enough. I'll try anything though...just wanna throw a few larger flies for smallmouth.

Post Thanks / Like

The cheapest solution will be to experiment with your tippet: try a 3X, for example, and see how that works.
    Bigger flies require a heavier tippet. There's the "rule of 4". Divide the fly size by four. The number you get is the "X" tippet you should use. For example, a #12 fly would need a 3X tippet. This is just a rough guide.

A casting lesson never hurts, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have been using 4X tippet, but probably should go up to 2X or so for flies I'm trying to throw. Will that really make that big a difference?

I can cast pretty well. Don't get me wrong, one can always improve casting, and I'm not saying I'm a master by any stretch. It really just feels like some of the weighted flies I've been tying and trying are just a little too heavy. Almost like I'm fishing with a spinning real instead of fly real and rod.

So, since I'm here, I will also ask this. Is a 4wt sufficient for small - medium bass fishing also? Or when should I go up in size?

Again, thanks for the information!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by megalotis View Post
    Thanks. I have been using 4X tippet, but probably should go up to 2X or so for flies I'm trying to throw. Will that really make that big a difference?

I can cast pretty well. Don't get me wrong, one can always improve casting, and I'm not saying I'm a master by any stretch. It really just feels like some of the weighted flies I've been tying and trying are just a little too heavy. Almost like I'm fishing with a spinning real instead of fly real and rod.

So, since I'm here, I will also ask this. Is a 4wt sufficient for small - medium bass fishing also? Or when should I go up in size?

Again, thanks for the information!

Here's a good guide on tippet/fly size.

How to Choose the Right Tippet Size

... and here's a chart for fly line to fly:

Choosing a Fly Line – Orvis Fly Fishing

I can throw small streamers on my 4wt. Bigger flies and weighted flies will be much more pleasant to cast with a bigger rod.

(I'm gonna move this to the fly fishing board.)

Post Thanks / Like

It really just feels like some of the weighted flies I've been tying and trying are just a little too heavy.
    For weighted flies, the "Belgian cast" is helpful. I posted a video in the FF forum.

Post Thanks / Like

So, this is a basic question, but I feel I need to ask, since I'm not sure. I tie a lot of small poppers and spiders for bluegill and other small sunfish. I also tie several wet patterns (will ya, crayfish patterns, clouser minnows, etc.) very light weight still, but they do sink. Here is my problem, though...when throwing anything larger than really small poppers or dry flies, it seems I can feel the weight of the fly instead of the weight of the line more. this is causing the fly to slam into the water and not allowing for a long cast. I use a 4wt rod, with small tippet. Some have hinted that if I use a larger tippet size (I use 4x now I believe), that it will fix this problem. Is this the case, or do I need to get a larger wt rod (5, 5/6, 6, 7...)? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Just for clarification, I started tying crayfish and clouser patterns to try to get into the spotted bass and smallmouth action in local streams. . Again, thanks for any advice!
    Where are you located in KY (approximately)? I was just wondering since there are a couple of fly fishing clubs in Louisville and in northern KY, if you were interested.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in Louisville. Yeah, that would be nice! As long as I'm not shunned for liking to catch bluegill and other smaller sunfish...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast