Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float tube

Post Thanks / Like

Default Float tube

How many of y'all fish out of a float tube? I've used one for over 35 years, fishing for crappie, walleyes, and sandies in Oklahoma, Missouri, and Illinois and for trout in Montana. Kickers work better for me than flippers, although they can't move you from place to place as quickly. Position control is super out of a tube, and you are much less likely to spook the fish. The big drawback is the number of times that Mother Nature wants to talk to you about a horse, especially when the water is really cold. In the winter, you get to hear people who are walking or driving by on the dam as they comment about the "idiot out there on the water".
    Likes Olegiller1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've read where people had a lot of luck fishing from them many years ago. Was wondering if snakes (poisonous) ones give people much trouble? Lake I would consider fishing with one has cottonmouths & copperheads. Not sure I would want a stringer of fish trailing behind me with one of those around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I've read where people had a lot of luck fishing from them many years ago. Was wondering if snakes (poisonous) ones give people much trouble? Lake I would consider fishing with one has cottonmouths & copperheads. Not sure I would want a stringer of fish trailing behind me with one of those around.
    I've never had one want to keep me company, although there have been a number of snakes swim by. A friend of mine however, was fishing at Monster Lake in Wyoming. Right after catching a 12 pound rainbow (it's a trophy lake), a fairly large rattlesnake slipped off the rocks and wanted to share his tube. Another friend who was there said that Bake (my friend) beat the water to a froth with his 7 weight fly rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mine for smallmouth, not crappie. Paddle works best for me for moving, although I still kick with my feet for making minor position changes.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one made from styrofoam in Oklahoma in the 70's called a water bug. IMPOSSIBLE to turn over. Sold it when I moved back to FL and used it twice and had the undeniable feeling that I was the bait in a trolling setup. I drove folks nuts at work, no one could get to where I could. Timber was my friend. Caught a few that took me for a ride and a turtle with a neck as big as my wrist that had me extra nervous with no waders on. Glad to hear of folks still hearty enough to use them.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I had one made from styrofoam in Oklahoma in the 70's called a water bug. IMPOSSIBLE to turn over. Sold it when I moved back to FL and used it twice and had the undeniable feeling that I was the bait in a trolling setup. I drove folks nuts at work, no one could get to where I could. Timber was my friend. Caught a few that took me for a ride and a turtle with a neck as big as my wrist that had me extra nervous with no waders on. Glad to hear of folks still hearty enough to use them.
    Skeet. Was that you that I saw out on Hefner in the 80's? That thing looked impressive. There's a guy in Montana that has an even bigger one with a trolling motor on the back. I bet you like the bigger selection of species in Florida?

Post Thanks / Like

I love tubing! It's like fishing out of a recliner.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Use to fish out of one for crappie and gills. Not fast but you can fish very well out of them.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    Use to fish out of one for crappie and gills. Not fast but you can fish very well out of them.
    What's "fun" is when you hook up with a catfish on your crappie jig, and he starts flopping those pointy fins in the direction of your tube. That's when you wish you had a stiff 7' rod instead of the ultra-light crappie rod.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Float tube

Lol so true. Had to patch them more than once when I used one.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast