PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Nibbles,

Bobfisherman
02-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Other than the color is there any real advantages to using them?
What is it made up of?

blue-jig
02-21-2016, 09:59 PM
The first time i used them, I caught fish good. I use the white ones more out of superstition than anything. I've just always been that way even though I caught fish my while life before they came out. I think having confidence in what you are using is a big part of catching fish. It's not that I think they help that much, i just am too superstitious to put them down! Ha. They are funky though. I'd like to know what they are made of too.

lowe175
02-21-2016, 10:57 PM
The only time they help me is when you keep missing fish. Seems to make them hold on longer.

mijsivad
02-21-2016, 11:07 PM
I use nibblers on every cast. They make a huge difference up here in Pa. The smell attracts the fish . They also leave a trail in the water which draw them in. I only use the Berkley chartreuse brand as the normally will get bites 2 to 1 ratio compared to the other brands I have tried.

mijsivad
02-21-2016, 11:08 PM
Chartreuse - Chroma Glow color.

mijsivad
02-21-2016, 11:12 PM
One last thing... If you use them put them I recommend hardening them before you start using them. Either pour them out into the lid and let the sun bake them or put on a sheet of alumina at 225 for 5 minutes. We'll have Fun !

Bronson
02-21-2016, 11:24 PM
One last thing... If you use them put them I recommend hardening them before you start using them. Either pour them out into the lid and let the sun bake them or put on a sheet of alumina at 225 for 5 minutes. We'll have Fun !

I once emptied a whole jar in a back room and turned the fan on to dry them out. I shut the door as I walked out. About 30 minutes later, my wife returned home and her sensitive nose immediately notice something wasn't quite right. You should have heard her yell when she opened the back bedroom door. I figured they were dried enough by then so I put them back in the bottle.

I almost turned around after a 2 hour drive when I realized I'd forgotten my crappie nibbles. Fortunately, I found a small bottle and it saved my trip. Now, I keep several bottles with me at all time. If you're tight lining, let them stay soft. They give off more smell. If they are knocking it off the hooks, I usually leave several laying out on top of the carpet to let them dry out a little.

Zippy
02-21-2016, 11:40 PM
I have used them but almost never. I fish all winter in water down to 33 degrees and catch plenty of fish with plain soft plastics straight from the bag. Went out today and caught 43 crappie in 42 degree water in 4 hours with just a plastic grub. Had several people stop and ask if I was having any luck and they looked shocked that I had. They were using live minnows and nibbles and hadnt caught a thing. I guess the point of this is they can work but it kinda sucks feeling like you need them. The guys I talked to actually said "you should try nibbles they work really good" this after telling me they hadnt had a bite, lol.

mijsivad
02-21-2016, 11:48 PM
I have used them but almost never. I fish all winter in water down to 33 degrees and catch plenty of fish with plain soft plastics straight from the bag. Went out today and caught 43 crappie in 42 degree water in 4 hours with just a plastic grub. Had several people stop and ask if I was having any luck and they looked shocked that I had. They were using live minnows and nibbles and hadnt caught a thing. I guess the point of this is they can work but it kinda sucks feeling like you need them. The guys I talked to actually said "you should try nibbles they work really good" this after telling me they hadnt had a bite, lol.
Zippy I guess it may be in the way you were taught and etc. When i was taught to crappie fish it was with nibbles. So I don't know if it's a need or routine. Either way it works well for me. Each year I will catch plenty of crappie on nibbles. So use what works for you. Also I'm not sure where you're at but our lakes are still froze over here in Pennsylvania.

wannabe fisherman
02-22-2016, 05:53 AM
Other than the color is there any real advantages to using them?
What is it made up of?

anybody know??

glasseyes
02-22-2016, 06:47 AM
Same thing here on drying them out. After buying a couple jars I just take lids off and leave set out in garage. Some times I leave them like that for days at a time to get the hardness I like. And I only use the Berkley power bait nibbles. I really don't think the color matters as much as the smell

mijsivad
02-22-2016, 06:51 AM
Same thing here on drying them out. After buying a couple jars I just take lids off and leave set out in garage. Some times I leave them like that for days at a time to get the hardness I like. And I only use the Berkley power bait nibbles. I really don't think the color matters as much as the smell
I did try the sparkly(gold,green,red,silver) ones and they did not work nearly as well for me.

Ketchn
02-22-2016, 07:30 AM
i doubt we will find out what they make them with but they have a very distinctive shrimp like odor
and if you fish turbid waters and dont use them you will just be in the bleachers watching the game many times
thats a fact right there ,,,,,i originally thought like others ,,,they dont work ,,,
just makes bream and yellow bass bite ....but after years of testing them i know factually they work
we refer to them as crappie cocaine and in some circles here they call it cheating if you use them
mind you lots of times it does not matter ...but when it does it does
i use the glo white glo pink and glo chart ....

VaCrappieMan
02-22-2016, 10:29 AM
I use a lot of small jigs like 1/64 etc so I don't use a whole nibble but I take my nibbles and make 1 nibble into 3 or 4 balls and put them on a paper plate to dry for a few hours to harden up the outside and sometimes I can catch a couple on 1 nibble and they still have the white trail behind them.

fishervet
02-22-2016, 10:40 AM
I like this post.

trypman1
02-22-2016, 11:08 AM
I use them all the time, they help!!!!!!!!!!!!

moskeeter56
02-22-2016, 12:28 PM
I never go to the lake without them. Chartruese, red flake and green flake.

Bobfisherman
02-22-2016, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies I will stay the course and keep some in my bait box,

Tom 513
02-22-2016, 09:53 PM
If I hadnt proved they work several times with co anglers I would not use them, I have used chartruse and yellow, but will try some of the silver flake ones this year. I will say I dont use them until the bite slows down, and have even caught crappie with a bare jig head and a nibble.

doggone
02-22-2016, 10:18 PM
I don't sell them
I don't care if you use them
I would prefer you don't because people buy them out all the time and drive the price up.

A lot of really good fisherman do not believe in them. And I know they catch fish. Maybe more than I do. You don't have to use them to catch fish.

But I have experimented too much, on too many lakes ,and rivers,and streams,and ponds,and creeks,in too many states, on too many thousands of fish,of too many species, with every variable imaginable.

There are a couple tricks to them. If you just used Chromaglow Chartreuse you would not need anything else.

Don't use them. I just post stuff on the internet to fool with people.I don't know what I'm talking about.

feeshrman
02-22-2016, 10:30 PM
They work well, especially in stained water. I will caution you however, when using the ones with the sparkles or glitter, the crap gets all over. Make darn sure you get all of that stuff off before going home, or the wife will think you've been spending time in a gentlemens club.

saute86
02-23-2016, 01:02 AM
I put them in a baby medicine syringe and inject them into the tube jig. I went to CVS and asked them if they sold them. The girl at the counter gave me a handful of them. She said they give them away with prescriptions for small children.

shipahoy41
02-23-2016, 07:20 AM
I use tube jigs a lot and will use a bait pump to stuff the nibbles up inside the tube. On a teardrop hook I will put one or two on the hook and fish. As for what is in the bait.....I would say.....CONFIDENCE! That is the most important item in any lure, bait or tackle box. You just know that what you are using will work. This is the bait pump. How to Photo Slide Show THE BAIT PUMP - SOFT BAIT INJECTION SYSTEM ! FOR CRAPPIE FISHING AND BASS FISHING (http://www.thebaitpump.com/slideshow/index.html)

As for the color of nibbles....Chartreuse or pink. The fish will hit one or the other.

Crappie62
02-23-2016, 12:16 PM

Gonna try this. Sounds like a good idea.

Grainraiser
02-23-2016, 03:26 PM
I use them all the time. The one thing I have noticed is a crappie will hold on too a bait with the nibbles but will spit out a bait without them. The simply give you more time to set the hook if your using artificals.

Reggie

genec
02-23-2016, 03:54 PM
GUYS,IF U WANT TO PUT THEM INTO A TUBE JIG,ALL U NEED TO DO IS GET A STRAW THE SIZE U NEED ,CUT A PIECE OF IT OFF AND THEN PUT AS MANY NIBBLES IN STRAW AS U WANT ,STICK STRAW INTO TUBE THEN USE A NAIL OR SOMETHING THE SIZE TO JUST FIT INSIDE TUBE ,THEN PUSH THE NIBBLES INSIDE THE TUBE AS U ARE PULLING STRAW OUT,CAN KEEP STRAW AND NAIL IN BOTTLE WITH NIBBLES,HOPE THIS HELP,BTW CUT POINT OFF NAIL OFF,U WANT IT BLUNT

Tom 513
02-23-2016, 04:03 PM
I'am taking back what I said earlier about Crappie nibbles, I went out today and couldnt buy a bite, with nibbles or minnows..............

Zippy
02-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Ive never heard anyone say they dont work, they absolutely do work. The only argument against them including mine is that they are not a magic bullet that will catch fish for you. The other issue is a mental thing, once you use them and catch its hard not to use them. Been out too many times with a buddy and ill try a new color jig and not get a bite right away and take it off. Then the buddy puts on that color and catches the biggest fish of the day. He now only uses that color and refuses to give another color a go even when if Im catching with it. Even had the same buddy give up because he opened his box and his favorite color wasnt there, he then tried to get me to bring him back to the launch so he could drive 20 minutes to walmart to get them.

Best thing I ever did to improve my catch rate was to switch to braid. I hated it at first but now can just about feel the fish when hes looking at the jig. Takes care of the need to have them hold on longer. Either way nibbles work, I have them in my box, I just rarely reach for them other than as an experiment onslow days.

Tiger
02-23-2016, 04:53 PM
I never go to the lake without them, but never use them. Been a jar in my tackle bag for years

feelay
02-23-2016, 08:12 PM
I found they dramatically increased my hookups with catfish. Haven't used them since....

Ketchn
02-24-2016, 08:43 AM
depending on what lake they most certainly do attract non crappie species ....bream catfish drum and others use the nose to find food in turbid water as well

callmecamo
02-24-2016, 09:27 AM
The only time they help me is when you keep missing fish. Seems to make them hold on longer.

+1 on what lowe said. That's when they make a difference for me. Also seems to highly depend on your particular body of water.

chaunc
02-24-2016, 01:11 PM
I don't leave home without them. Normally have at least 3 different colors with me as different colors work better on different lakes.

Mamba334
02-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Has anyone used these in a live minnow/nibble combo? The results if so? Thanks.

chaunc
02-24-2016, 05:05 PM

That works good too.

Bobfisherman
02-24-2016, 08:15 PM
I thought that was the only way to use them?

CrappiePappy
02-25-2016, 01:37 AM

I remember a member (guide) once saying that he used a jighead, plastic body, live minnow, AND a Crappie Nibble as his "bait"(all at the same time). :yikes

... cp :kewl

redear
02-25-2016, 03:50 AM
I have grown to love the nibbles, the results speak for themselves where I fish. I only seem to use them on a hand tied jig under a float most the time, and adding 2 of them has made a difference too, I have seen my buddy do that and catch more than me. one thing I have just recently noticed is that there is the old power bait ones and also the gulp flavored ones whichI had never noticed before, and I plan to try the gulp ones this year, ya'll are right though they smell very funky.

NIMROD
02-25-2016, 06:42 AM
I found they dramatically increased my hookups with catfish. Haven't used them since....

Bream love them but not a believer in using them for Crappie . :twocents

glasseyes
02-25-2016, 06:44 AM
I'm just the opposite, only thing I use them for is Crappie

NIMROD
02-25-2016, 06:46 AM
I have sat right beside guys in a boat and on the bank catching more than they did . They used nibbles and wasted time applying nibbles while I pulled in Crappie . :biggrin

glasseyes
02-25-2016, 07:04 AM
like others have said its all personal preference, and confidence, although if you had been fishing beside me in the lake I fish it would have been the other way around.

Mamba334
02-25-2016, 07:50 AM
Bream love them but not a believer in using them for Crappie . :twocents

That's what I DON'T want to happen. Where I fish, lots of Bluegill off the Pier. The water is only about 6" deep so ...

I might try Lake Purdy so I can rent me a boat and go deeper. I haven't been having much luck in the shallows. This weather here in Alabama has been weird to say the least.

NIMROD
02-25-2016, 10:26 AM
like others have said its all personal preference, and confidence, although if you had been fishing beside me in the lake I fish it would have been the other way around.

You sound confident .:juggle

Mamba334
02-25-2016, 10:34 AM
You sound confident .:juggle

White Flag Icon

glasseyes
02-25-2016, 10:45 AM
I know .

scrat
02-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Well there is a way to decide who and which is the best. Here you go and you can also make a little money on the side if you win.

Big Mama Open - Grenada Lake Mississippi, March 19th (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/content.php?r=1802-Big-Mama-Open)

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachments/cms/230072d1456331313-2016springbmo-1-jpg

Mamba334
02-25-2016, 11:11 AM
:highfive a fish-off!

glasseyes
02-25-2016, 11:12 AM
for some those are fun, I used to fish bass tourn. with a friend and I guess I'm just not into the competition in fishing, seemed to take the fun out of it for me. I know others have a great time at it.Just not for me.

Red190
02-25-2016, 12:10 PM
If I ain't catching crappie, I don't mind a catfish now and then.. so in tough times Nibble On.

SLABHOG
02-25-2016, 02:55 PM

[emoji106]that's right

SLABHOG
02-25-2016, 02:58 PM
I have sat right beside guys in a boat and on the bank catching more than they did . They used nibbles and wasted time applying nibbles while I pulled in Crappie . :biggrin

Couldn't be more true[emoji106]

Timmy Tom
02-25-2016, 03:10 PM
I am finding out which lakes they do and don't work on. Some lakes they increase you hook rate, some lakes they don't make a difference or less bites. Blue mtn lake, sugarloaf lake yes you need them. Wister lake, my dink a link lake, Oologah you don't need them. As I fish more lakes with and without them, I will take notes. Another note, I use two nibbles per jig.

TT

Zippy
02-25-2016, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by feelay http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
(http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/326046-crappie-nibbles-post3153188.html#post3153188)I found they dramatically increased my hookups with catfish. Haven't used them since....

and bluegills and shiners. Yes I catch some huge golden shiners when I use nibbles.

eagle 1
02-25-2016, 07:24 PM
My observation is the clearer the water the most likely they will work .jmo.

Gomer Snerd
02-25-2016, 10:43 PM
They are 90% effective, 60% of the time.

lowe175
02-25-2016, 11:00 PM
Don't think I would bet amy money on out fish Nimrod. I've seen his post and take in everything he says. That guy can fish!

deathb4disco
02-26-2016, 10:06 AM
They are 90% effective, 60% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65UhRV75wOQ

Ketchn
02-26-2016, 12:32 PM
if it matters bought my second bottle this month for further testing .......rotfl

Will C
02-26-2016, 04:05 PM
That's what I DON'T want to happen. Where I fish, lots of Bluegill off the Pier. The water is only about 6" deep so ...

I might try Lake Purdy so I can rent me a boat and go deeper. I haven't been having much luck in the shallows. This weather here in Alabama has been weird to say the least.
I went to Smith last Friday but didn't have sonar so I was flying blind and blanked out. Didn't even know what the water temp was. I was striper fishing, but dropped jigs for crappie too. My buddy was there at the same time in his buddies boat and they wore them out. Said crappie were staging at 26' and coming up to feed at 20'. Said the stripers were staging at 20' and coming up to feed at 15'. Can't wait to get my new Garmin on and go rip lips. I might take my son to Purdy Sunday. I'll be bank fishing. And my jigs/minnows will start out at 10'-12', progressively going deeper if I don't get bit.

deathb4disco
02-26-2016, 04:10 PM
So, after six pages, how do you decide whether or not to use crappie nibbles?

http://images.rapgenius.com/744fcae41955504c15351a20d6a289ba.480x284x41.gif

Mamba334
02-27-2016, 08:23 AM
I went to Smith last Friday but didn't have sonar so I was flying blind and blanked out. Didn't even know what the water temp was. I was striper fishing, but dropped jigs for crappie too. My buddy was there at the same time in his buddies boat and they wore them out. Said crappie were staging at 26' and coming up to feed at 20'. Said the stripers were staging at 20' and coming up to feed at 15'. Can't wait to get my new Garmin on and go rip lips. I might take my son to Purdy Sunday. I'll be bank fishing. And my jigs/minnows will start out at 10'-12', progressively going deeper if I don't get bit.

That explains a lot. Thanks. I've been fishing at 6 ft deep water because I don't have access to a boat. I'm going to try purdy bank today. It says very good day for fishing and 62 degrees for the air temp. If I still don't get a bite then I'm just going back to my roots and fish when it warms up. I love Crappie only but I'm tired of freezing to death and not getting bites.

As for the nibbles, no bites at all.

Will C
02-27-2016, 10:34 AM
That explains a lot. Thanks. I've been fishing at 6 ft deep water because I don't have access to a boat. I'm going to try purdy bank today. It says very good day for fishing and 62 degrees for the air temp. If I still don't get a bite then I'm just going back to my roots and fish when it warms up. I love Crappie only but I'm tired of freezing to death and not getting bites.

I've got some nibbles, but I've never used them. My buddy always uses them and never has any better luck than me. The water temp at Smith was 51, so it's steadily climbing. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck!

Mamba334
02-27-2016, 10:57 AM
I've got some nibbles, but I've never used them. My buddy always uses them and never has any better luck than me. The water temp at Smith was 51, so it's steadily climbing. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck!

Will do. I'll be heading out around 12. Wish I knew some of these boaters here. I see them fishing solo all the time. I might ask someone if I can ride with them today if they paas by. Weather is 60 air and wind in 2 mph. Yesterday was 8 mph and 51 air temp.

Rdrunner
02-27-2016, 05:27 PM
I would not go to the lake without them.I have made believers out of everyone that fishes in my boat.They do not however correct a poor choice of jighead/body type.

shadboy
02-27-2016, 05:36 PM
I would not go to the lake without them.I have made believers out of everyone that fishes in my boat.They do not however correct a poor choice of jighead/body type.

I could use some instruction on choice of jighead and body type!

Will C
02-27-2016, 11:13 PM
I could use some instruction on choice of jighead and body type!
Well, since nobody else has chimed in yet... Are you just getting into crappie fishing? If so, you just about can't go wrong with 1/8 oz jig head. They'll get down deep when that's where the crappie are, and you can put them under a float when they're up shallow. And don't be afraid to put a big piece of plastic on that jig either, especially this time of year. I've seen a crappie hit a 4" sassy shad with room to suck another two or three down if they wanted it. Having said all that, one of my favorite go to's in clear water is a tiny triple ripple in smoke color on 1/16 oz un-colored head. But that's when I'm pitching at lights. Any specific questions?

Mamba334
02-28-2016, 07:46 AM
Well, from my recent experience, I only caught Bream on these nibbles. And they stink to high heavens. I am not going to keep using them as they did not produce any Crappie for me, in various locations. :twocents

shipahoy41
02-29-2016, 07:30 AM
. I've been fishing at 6 ft deep water because I don't have access to a boat. I'm going to try purdy bank today. It says very good day for fishing and 62 degrees for the air temp. I love Crappie only but I'm tired of freezing to death and not getting bites.

You stated you were going to try Purdy bank for fishing. I thought they closed the bank access off the bridge. What area are you talking about? Is there an address close by where I can put it in my car's On Star? You can just send a PM. Thanks

Will C
02-29-2016, 07:45 AM
You stated you were going to try Purdy bank for fishing. I thought they closed the bank access off the bridge. What area are you talking about? Is there an address close by where I can put it in my car's On Star? You can just send a PM. Thanks
Not that I'm aware of. I still see people fishing from the banks all the time. I didn't get to go. Trying to get my house ready to put on the market and that took precedence. Purdy did stop letting people launch their own boats though. Did that years ago. However, you can rent one of theirs. Just go on their website and check them out.

glasseyes
02-29-2016, 07:47 AM
Ok, since I am a believer in them some here might not believe this but anyway, I fished a lake yesterday afternoon that was close to chocolate milk color. I used a couple different jigs I normally use in this type of condition , the winds here were also blowing at 30 mph. I was on the bank casting with a rocket bobber and my homemade jigs. I fished for an hour with only two fish caught and one miss. I put the nibbles on and caught ten more fish in the next hour all were keepers except one. I fished the exact same area on the bank without moving.

Mamba334
02-29-2016, 07:59 AM
I sent you a PM, ship. :highfive

Mamba334
02-29-2016, 08:01 AM
Ok, since I am a believer in them some here might not believe this but anyway, I fished a lake yesterday afternoon that was close to chocolate milk color. I used a couple different jigs I normally use in this type of condition , the winds here were also blowing at 30 mph. I was on the bank casting with a rocket bobber and my homemade jigs. I fished for an hour with only two fish caught and one miss. I put the nibbles on and caught ten more fish in the next hour all were keepers except one. I fished the exact same area on the bank without moving.

I gave my bottle away to a little girl fishing for Breams. I used them as well for hours and not one bite, so I guess you found a honey hole. I even had a Game Warden tell me to fish this point by the bridge (12 ft hole) ... not one bite. I was using the Power Bait Char/Glow.

Your Rocket Bobber; the ones with the yellow or orange bottom?

glasseyes
02-29-2016, 08:11 AM
I gave my bottle away to a little girl fishing for Breams. I used them as well for hours and not one bite, so I guess you found a honey hole. I even had a Game Warden tell me to fish this point by the bridge (12 ft hole) ... not one bite. I was using the Power Bait Char/Glow.

Your Rocket Bobber; the ones with the yellow or orange bottom?

It was a sunny day so was using the rocket bobber with orange top. I use the yellow top ones on cloudy days

glasseyes
02-29-2016, 08:24 AM
Actually I don't use the rocket bobber very often but I have an area in the winter I fish when not froze over that it works perfectly for me. When the bite is very lite in cold water, the wind is blowing, I also cast my jig a country mile in this big wide open area and this bobber is perfect for this situation. I always fish with a bobber there the water is shallow, only 6'-7' deep depending on the draw down of lake and the crappie just swarm to this bay that's right off main channel of lake. Perfect on sunny days in the winter.

elkhunter
02-29-2016, 08:32 AM
Maybe they're just tiny marshmallows. Haven't given them the taste test. Probably won't.

Mamba334
02-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Actually I don't use the rocket bobber very often but I have an area in the winter I fish when not froze over that it works perfectly for me. When the bite is very lite in cold water, the wind is blowing, I also cast my jig a country mile in this big wide open area and this bobber is perfect for this situation. I always fish with a bobber there the water is shallow, only 6'-7' deep depending on the draw down of lake and the crappie just swarm to this bay that's right off main channel of lake. Perfect on sunny days in the winter.

Wow, we fish the same way haha

Mamba334
02-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Maybe they're just tiny marshmallows. Haven't given them the taste test. Probably won't.

:confused::scratchhead

Will C
02-29-2016, 09:34 AM
:confused::scratchhead
Pretty sure he's talking about the nibbles, but I've never smelled any marshmallows that funky before. Must be Rick James marshmallows.

shipahoy41
02-29-2016, 11:26 AM
I sent you a PM, ship. :highfive

Thanks buddy