Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North Wind: good or bad??

Post Thanks / Like

Default North Wind: good or bad??

Ok guys I'm sure that if you have ever done much fishing then you are familiar with the "north wind is bad" saying. Well I told you about me catching a few last Friday with thewind gusting out of the north all day. But yesterday I wrnt and had a warm westerly wind that had heated the water to 50. Well I caught more with a north wind ladt week than I did with a west wind yesterday and colder water. How many still believe the fish dint bite with a north wind? Was it just a fluke that I caught more with colder conditions than warmet?

Post Thanks / Like

I catch in a north wind, some of my worst day's are when conditions seem to be perfect.
    Likes Bronson, fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion.....fish don't know which direction the wind is going. They can "feel" pressure changes. Thats a scientific proven fact. The wind sayings aren't necessarily having to do anything with the wind. The sayings are predicting pressures. Most of the time an EAST wind is associated with a rise in pressure. So "Fish bite the least when the wind is out of the east". True......but not because of the wind, because of the rise in pressure. Now I will say there are exceptions with every rule and I have caught fish on east wind days.....but to my knowledge I dont think I have ever "killed" them on a east wind. Same thing goes for a west wind......it is associated with a fall in pressure and fish feed when the pressure falls. "Fish bite the best when the wind is out of the west."......I believe it. I have also been skunked on west wind days. But in my experience I can usually count on catching with west wind days. North winds can offer both high and low pressure days and so can south....so those are a little harder to predict. But you can always look at the barometer and decide if ya wanna fish or not and totally disregard wind. Now.......the fish can only feel pressure changes for so deep in the water column. So for instance im Going to use depths just for example purposes. ( Not proven). If a fish is in 10ft or less water.....they can feel these pressure changes MORE. When they are in roughly 15 foot of water the feel the pressure changes less. And if they 20fow or deeper they may not feel these changes at all. What does this tell me personally with my hypothesis???? In the spring when the fish are trying to get shallow and spawn and there a high pressure day.......Im not going to expect much action because the fish most likely will be shut off, and exact opposite for low or dropping pressure days. In the hot summer and in the winter and im fishing for deep crappie, I don't expect the wind nor the pressure to effect me good or bad! So go fishing no matter WHAT!!! hahaha. Not everyone believes in pressures or winds.....BUT I DO. That don't make me right. Its just what I believe. I have been writing conditions and what and where I caught on all my trips for about 7 years now and have some proof of my hypothesis. When it comes down to it.....if ya got a job, I would fish every chance I got. I wouldn't worry about pressures or winds. I would just have lower expectations on the poor days that way your not disappointed. If your retired.....I would hand pick my days......that way your have a much better catch average hahaha. Hope I didn't ramble on too much! Have a great day!
    Likes Eagle 1, Bronson, fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

1" of Hg = 0.491 psi. The hydrostatic gradient of fresh water is 0.45 psi/ft. (0.465 for saltwater). A variation of 1" of Hg is quite large when it comes to atmospheric pressure. That would amount to a fish moving roughly one foot in the water column, only one foot. I don't buy into the fish feeling barometric pressure.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Lowepro is right on with his opinion because all my logs and experience with fishing, recreational and commercial, show the same. But having said that, to me the best wind is what ever direction it's blowing when I can go and find fish biting.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

AS I SEE IT,THE MORE DAYS THE WIND BLOWS IN SAME DIRECTION THE BETTER THE FISHING BUT ON WINDWARD SIDE. WE HAVE MORE WEST WIND MAKING IT A MORE STABLE WIND,EAST WIND IS MORE A CHANGING WIND. THE WIND BLOWS FOOD FOR BAIT FISH AND GAME FISH ARE AWARE OF THIS. BUT NONE OF THESE RULES ARE SET IN CONCRETE. FISH FORGET TO READ MY RULE BOOK I THINK,LOL
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Tracker I wasn't saying that the pressure determines where the fish will be. I was saying from my experience that pressure makes them feel like eating or not eating. And if they are deep enough then the pressure wouldn't matter anyways, because they couldn't feel it. I think thats what I interpreted when I read ur response. I think its awesome though you were able to explain the effects or lack of, of atmospheric pressure effects the water and the depht of water it could effect. We should put our heads together and figure out what depth that we should stop considering atmospheric pressure.

I will throw out another coincidence..... Pressure and moon phases influence not only fish but humans. I work in the ER as a RN and can tell you....I can almost predict when Im going to have a crazy day with peple acting Nutty. And it just so happens that the fish will be practically 'jumping in the boat" during the same time frame. Hahahahaha. If I got to determine my schedule.....I KNOW exactly when I should be at work and when I should be fishing! SAD BUT TRUE! hahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

I would not go fishing when the wind was from the North,or South,or West,or East. I would not go fishing when it's not blowing.I would not go when the sun shines,or when it's cloudy.I would not go when it's raining,or snowing or sleeting. I would not go on a full moon,or dark moon,or any phase of moon. I would not fish in the morning,or midday,or evening,or night.I would not fish in the spring,or summer,or fall or winter.

Its just to risky you may not catch anything.

I would also just fish one place and one method.And when I got there if I did not catch fish with my usual method in the usual place within two hours,I would go home and declare that the fish are not biting,and never did bite that day,for any length of time,anywhere,on anything,with any presentation.

That's the best advice I can give you.
    Likes Crestliner08, ibmack LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! I go fishing EVERY chance I get, paying absolutely no attention to weather - except rain. I don't do rain any more.....too freakin' old for that garbage! LOL!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Tony the Tiger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

it's also been said "when the wind is from the east, fish bite the least" I don't like it when it gets too windy, but I'll fish when I can work when I should, just wish I was a country boy
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast