Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what weight for capp and coleman rig?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what weight for capp and coleman rig?

I have been using just a single minnow or jig with the largest split shot I could find but I could tell that was not enough weight. So tomorrow I am gonna try a minnow and jig on a double rig, what weight egg sinker should I go with? I have a choice between half ounce and quarter ounce to use. Also I will have a1/8 once jig head on the bottom and minnow on the top. Thanks for the help.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stringstalker911 View Post
    I have been using just a single minnow or jig with the largest split shot I could find but I could tell that was not enough weight. So tomorrow I am gonna try a minnow and jig on a double rig, what weight egg sinker should I go with? I have a choice between half ounce and quarter ounce to use. Also I will have a1/8 once jig head on the bottom and minnow on the top. Thanks for the help.
    I'd go with the 1/2oz ... regardless of weight of jighead. I use 1/2oz on a single jig rig, for "pushing" jigs ... and may use 3/4oz to start off this season, just to see if there's any great difference. My spider rigging buddy used to use 1/2oz egg sinkers & recently switched to 3/4oz in line trolling weights (torpedo shaped). He uses a leader line with a single jighead, 2" plastics of various colors/brands/shapes, and tips with a large minnow.

I'm not a big fan of "double rigs" ... due to all the hardware on some of them, and having twice the chance of getting snagged in the cover. It's not "too hard" to get one hook popped off a tree branch, by dropping the trolling weight below the jig/hook ... but, when there's another open hook flopping around, it's very likely to also become snagged when attempting to free the other. Now, they may be OK for use in open water, on suspended fish ... but, around brush piles, you're asking for trouble IMHO. And if they were "more likely" to catch two fish at a time, most of the time, you wouldn't hear of very many people using the single bait rigs.

... cp

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1/2 oz most used. Anything less than 6 ft of water and not rough I go down to the 1/4 oz. like pappy 1/8 jog on bottom 90% of the time
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes RCC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I went ahead and went with the half ounce for tomorrow to try this style out. I also left a couple rods rigged with quarter ounce with just single minnows in case i start having problems with the double rigs. Hopefully ill fill the cooler tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

1/2 & 3/8 we use most of the time
    Quote Originally Posted by stringstalker911 View Post
    Thanks guys, I went ahead and went with the half ounce for tomorrow to try this style out. I also left a couple rods rigged with quarter ounce with just single minnows in case i start having problems with the double rigs. Hopefully ill fill the cooler tomorrow.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you fish KY lake, I found the best overall weight to be 3/4 oz. I do use 1/2 oz during calm seas. I use mostly minnows cause when I use double rigs cause it usually minnow time.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

1/2 and 3/4 if gets to choppy and windy which always go together

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

These guys are good. ^

Started out with 3/8ths yesterday until the lake started looking like a scene from Deadliest Catch. Switched to 3/4. Bite was much better. Left near the end of the day sick as a dog. Was OK this AM. Not sure I wasn't sea sick
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked Steve Coleman that very question while at the Grizzly Jig show.. He said the 3/4 oz was used the most..seems like I use more 1/2, or 1 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mainly 1/2 but have them tied up in 1/4 and 3/4 if I need em.