Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Vermilion River

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vermilion River

Hello, any of you guys fished the Vermilion River? I got a group of 9 guys that are planning a trip up that way and would like any info you may want to share. We are planning on staying at Gold Mine Resort in Orr. We have the 1st full week of June reserved with boats. I have talked to the owner a couple of times and seems like a nice guy and I'm sure he is since I haven't really met anyone that has a resort that wasn't a people person.
    Would like to know what kind and size fish we could expect. Since we need to bring our own food in is there a good place to purchase food or would we be better bringing most from home.
    Thanks for any information you can share.....

Post Thanks / Like

June, hey?

Bring plenty of mosquito repellent.

I think the state record black crappie came out of Vermillion River, but in another county.

I like your chances if the water temp is right. If you're looking to stock up on supplies, Orr is your best bet. There's a few stores there. Just don't upset the locals if you happen to stop by the Orr Muni for a cold one, or ten If you were coming up in Fall I would advise a road trip up the Echo Trail.
    "If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, but they won't bother us to much as long as we are catching fish.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have time I would also consider trying Blackduck and Ash Lake. They are both excellent crappie lakes. At that time of year the crappies should be up in the shallows.

...don't underestimate MN mosquitos
    "If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers."

Post Thanks / Like

Are those lake around Orr? The Orr Muni is the old church looking building just before you get into town? I remember seeing a strange building converted into a tavern on our way to Canada. We decided to try the states this year and the guy Leif Gunderson comes to the Boat show in St. Louis and have talked to him a couple of times. We thought we could save some money and hopfully bring home a couple more fish.
    I do remember stopping in Madison WS to swap out a rental van because we hit a deer the mosquitos there were horrible. It was like a swarm but that was in the evening. The owner of the resort said it would be unlikely to catch any crappie then but you make it sound a little hopefull. If we can catch some nice smallies and walleys I think we will be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Those lakes are in/around Orr. Of course, nothing much is *In* Orr, but you get the idea. The key here is water temp. If your are here during the ideal time, finding Crappies on the area lakes is a snap. You can also find all the small mouth action you'll ever need on Blackduck or Elephant Lake.

The smallies are flat out annoying on Blackduck.

Like I said, don't underestimate the mosquitos. And if the Orr Muni was a church, it has fallen from grace . Just be careful if you toss a few back at the Muni. Perhaps I'm a little less friendly then most, but still...

You'll catch some Walleyes on the river.

Good luck to ya.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, going to see the Outfitter Wednesday and lay down some cash for our stay.