Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minnows by the Pound???

bynsell911 Guest

Default Minnows by the Pound???

How many minnows do you get per pound??? I don't have anywhere from my house to the lake that sells minnows by the pound. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to buy several pounds and make a large bait tank at my house?
    I am going to start spider rigging this year and my minnow count is going to go up. I plan on fishing 3 days a week and probably about 3-4 dozen minnows a trip????

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how many are in a pound but I put 10 pounds of fat head minnows in a new 4 acre pond I built 3 years ago. They reproduce about 5 or 6 times a year and you could just about walk across the pond on the minnows by last summer. Stocked bass last summer. They should knock the population down a bit.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The good thing is I never buy fishing minnows any more. I just put a minnow trap with a half piece of bread in the water for about an hour and have all the minnows I could use.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

a pound will average about 240 at about2"long

Post Thanks / Like

between 14-18 dozen depending on the size..i have a minnow vatt here at home and i buy them 5lbs at a time...using 6 poles total..me and the wife go through 1/2 lb per trip..@ 6 poles double rigged you use a dozen each time you bait up..setting up a tank is easy..been doin it for 10 years..few things too remember...lots of air..NEVER feed them..life span of about 4 weeks(from the time they are pulled from stock pond..so get them from source if you can) use them ALL before you restock..and clean the tank between stockings..a few tips for your vatt...personal vatts are better 20-30 gal max.. water garden pumps work great to circulate water to cool it..fish tank bubblers(biggest you can get) and bubble stones or wands are best source of air..bubbler and pump are cheaper on ebay..keep it in the shade ..and make a top out of screen door screen so it will "breath"..i give about $7 per lb for med minnows...alot cheaper than $1 per dozen..and i never have to stop on the way..thats worth it all...have fun..and good luck
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Post Thanks / Like

You will get around 300 minnows per pound. Just look for a fish hatchery in your area and go buy a pound or however many pounds you want of fathead minnows. That's what I'm going to do this spring. If you buy per pound it is much cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy minnows by the pound in the early spring. I put them in an old wash tub that I keep where the coons can't get to them. I buy a $5 electric bubbler from Walmart in the goldfish section. I figure I get over 12 dozen for less than $10. The local bait shop charges $1.50 a dozen for minnows that came from the same place I buy my pound of minnows.
    In the heat of summer, I buy from the baitshop as it is much harder to keep the minnows alive in the heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speckhunter
    I don't know how many are in a pound but I put 10 pounds of fat head minnows in a new 4 acre pond I built 3 years ago. They reproduce about 5 or 6 times a year and you could just about walk across the pond on the minnows by last summer. Stocked bass last summer. They should knock the population down a bit.
    Oh, I'd love to build a pond like that. Can we come down and control your fish population this spring? You have any pics of it?

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not real sure ,but they are sized by #. Example #6 ,I think is 6lbs per 1000 minnows? We used to sell bait years ago and bought them wholesale by the pound.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs