Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fluorocarbon?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fluorocarbon?

will you catch more fish with a fluorocarbon leader over straight mono line?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna experiment with fluoro this year. The bass guys use it for a lot of their soft plastic work.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a lot of clear water and have used a fluro leader for years...it is now just second nature. I have to tie two knots every time I hang up or break off. You will get a lot of answers on this and I won't argue either way. I do at times get lazy and might fish a day without using a leader. Whether certain fish are line shy or not is up for much debate. It is very hard to test something like this out. But one fish I will tell you where fluro leader makes a world of difference is trout. Many of those clear waters I fish have trout so to me it is a must. I catch crappie on Center Hill and Dale Hollow........both clear lakes......I use fluro on those lakes.

Regards
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

where did my post get moved to?

Post Thanks / Like

Tanin or muddy water makes no difference. Any clear/clean water I fish no matter the species. Cant hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I now fish for crappie exclusively with braid, I use a 4' - 5' fluorocarbon leader. Been doing that for many years now. I happen to be a fan of Fireline Crystal myself - 2# test, with a 4# test fluoro leader. Using the Alberto knot for joining the two has proved to be extremely reliable. But as I've said before, I don't fish brush piles or trees, so what works for me may not necessarily be right for someone else.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

4' of Seaguar Blue tied with a red phillips knot for everything from crappie to tuna.

Post Thanks / Like

try it against low viz green mono... i bet you find it's as good or better

Post Thanks / Like

I think 95% of the time it does not matter. I do a fish a creek for white bass and if you don't have 6lb line or less you will come home fishless. This is not a clear creek but those fish are extremely line shy. I have some rods rigged with fluorocarbon line and I have not seen a difference in crappie catch rate.

Reggie