PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon?

no luck
02-18-2016, 05:55 PM
will you catch more fish with a fluorocarbon leader over straight mono line?

deathb4disco
02-18-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm gonna experiment with fluoro this year. The bass guys use it for a lot of their soft plastic work.

Alphahawk
02-18-2016, 06:38 PM
I fish a lot of clear water and have used a fluro leader for years...it is now just second nature. I have to tie two knots every time I hang up or break off. You will get a lot of answers on this and I won't argue either way. I do at times get lazy and might fish a day without using a leader. Whether certain fish are line shy or not is up for much debate. It is very hard to test something like this out. But one fish I will tell you where fluro leader makes a world of difference is trout. Many of those clear waters I fish have trout so to me it is a must. I catch crappie on Center Hill and Dale Hollow........both clear lakes......I use fluro on those lakes.

Regards

no luck
02-18-2016, 06:48 PM
where did my post get moved to?

huntinslabs
02-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Tanin or muddy water makes no difference. Any clear/clean water I fish no matter the species. Cant hurt.

Crestliner08
02-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Since I now fish for crappie exclusively with braid, I use a 4' - 5' fluorocarbon leader. Been doing that for many years now. I happen to be a fan of Fireline Crystal myself - 2# test, with a 4# test fluoro leader. Using the Alberto knot for joining the two has proved to be extremely reliable. But as I've said before, I don't fish brush piles or trees, so what works for me may not necessarily be right for someone else.

barefoot
02-18-2016, 08:10 PM
4' of Seaguar Blue tied with a red phillips knot for everything from crappie to tuna.

doggone
02-18-2016, 08:57 PM
try it against low viz green mono... i bet you find it's as good or better

Grainraiser
02-18-2016, 10:48 PM
I think 95% of the time it does not matter. I do a fish a creek for white bass and if you don't have 6lb line or less you will come home fishless. This is not a clear creek but those fish are extremely line shy. I have some rods rigged with fluorocarbon line and I have not seen a difference in crappie catch rate.

Reggie