PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Boat

crappie cowboy
01-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Anybody tell me if they pull there boat with a 4 cylinder motor, I've got to get
some relief from my dodge truck gas mileage, 13.75 mpg. I was thinking bout
getting a smaller truck with 4 cylinder motor, but I don't think it will even handle my bass tracker.
I've checked on the six cylinder motors and the mileage on them is not much
better than my dodge, any idea's ?.

SRM

Wiskers
01-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Anybody tell me if they pull there boat with a 4 cylinder motor, I've got to get
some relief from my dodge truck gas mileage, 13.75 mpg. I was thinking bout
getting a smaller truck with 4 cylinder motor, but I don't think it will even handle my bass tracker.
I've checked on the six cylinder motors and the mileage on them is not much
better than my dodge, any idea's ?.

SRM
I pulled a 16' jonboat for years with a 1984, 4 cylinder Toyota 4x4. No Problem. :D

Gethenet
01-28-2007, 01:39 AM
I pulled a Ranger boat with a 4 cylinder Nissan...I wouldnt want to do it everyday..but other truck broke down, and had no choice. It did pretty good, unless you were trying to pull a hill..then it cursed you pretty good:)

jlaughlin72
01-28-2007, 01:43 AM
I pulled a 14 foot weldtek with a 25 suzuki for a while and it done ok, only problem was using steep lauches was hard on it.

crappie cowboy
01-28-2007, 01:55 AM
Holy Moly, you pulled a ranger, wow my boats weight is nothing conparred to
a ranger. :eek: :eek:

srm

willsjwills
01-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Holy Moly, you pulled a ranger, wow my boats weight is nothing conparred to
a ranger. :eek: :eek:

srm
these new trucks have surprising horsepower for their size. some years back the Mazda 2.3 was barely 100 h.p. The Mazda 2.3 used in the Ford Rangers now develops almost 150 h.p. I have one in my 03 ranger that I wouldn't take a gold monkey (PETA) for. Gets 29 mpg and drags my 14ft jon boat with everything in it up some of the roughest ramps in Miss.
Mazda also has a 2.6 Engine they use in their trucks that is even more powerful. Toyota uses a 2.7 that is awesome. These new Colorado trucks by Chevrolet have some good engines with plenty of power. check'em out. Chrysler comes up short on the dakota four cyl. Their 2.5 just isn't the engine it could be. lol:) :)

CrappiePappy
01-28-2007, 04:34 AM
these new trucks have surprising horsepower for their size. some years back the Mazda 2.3 was barely 100 h.p. The Mazda 2.3 used in the Ford Rangers now develops almost 150 h.p. I have one in my 03 ranger that I wouldn't take a gold monkey (PETA) for. Gets 29 mpg and drags my 14ft jon boat with everything in it up some of the roughest ramps in Miss.
Mazda also has a 2.6 Engine they use in their trucks that is even more powerful. Toyota uses a 2.7 that is awesome. These new Colorado trucks by Chevrolet have some good engines with plenty of power. check'em out. Chrysler comes up short on the dakota four cyl. Their 2.5 just isn't the engine it could be. lol:) :)

is horsepower alone, enough ??

I've got a 94Chevy 4dr S10 Blazer 4.3L/ 200HP (enhanced V6) 2WD w/auto tranny... I get 17mpg city/22mpg hwy (w/o boat) ... and around 17mpg with 17ft Tracker TX17/50hp OB and gear for two. It does not have a towing package.
My question is this ... in reference to the question about 4cyl vs 6cyl engines ... wouldn't a towing package be beneficial ? If not already installed ... would adding a oil cooling & tranny cooling system be a good move ? I don't know that it would increase gas milage, or anything ... but, wouldn't it be of some benefit as far as engine performance and longevity ?? Would it be necessary, only if you towed a boat ...often/far ... or would it be beneficial, even for the "occasional" towing trip ??
Just curious ........ cp :cool:

willsjwills
01-28-2007, 04:51 AM
Pappy, I would certainly consider a towing package for some of the older trucks of your size, since the suspension under it was designed to "soften the ride" so to speak instead of hauling boats and trailers around. I had a "92 S-10 that was too soft on suspension to do much hauling. Had to upgrade shocks and rear springs to keep it on some of these Miss. roads while pulling my boat. Had lot better control. I'm not sure about today's trucks. Mine had ample (03 Ranger) suspension off the showroom floor without a towing package. that would really depend on how much weight you're pulling. all of them have a max. towing capacity, that could be increased with towing packages.
Oil coolers might be an over kill, but auto trans fluid coolers would be good for long hauls in excessive heat. hot roads and hills are murder on GM and Chrysler auto trans. without fluid coolers. hope this helps.:) :)

mmjokerr
01-28-2007, 07:59 AM
LOL best advice keep the truck for towing the boat and buy an old beater car for driving to work and stuff. Its what I ended up doing. Found an old 92 dodge shadow to drive to work and run errands for 300 dollars. My big dodge never moves unless its to see the lake :)

WhitePerchJerker
01-28-2007, 08:22 AM
I pull my 17' alum 40hp Honda with my 1993 4 cyl jeep. It only gets around 16 mpg and with the boat behind it around 14mpg. It pulls it fine but will scare you at some steep boat ramps. When you apply the brakes the front tires side. No problems getting the boat out. I also have pulled my 18' Boston Whaler with it, does fine. Same problem with backing it down steep ramps. I think a Toyota four wheel driver would be a lot better.

jlaughlin72
01-28-2007, 09:38 AM
I am not an expert on this, but in my oppinion, most of your 4 wheel drive vehicles have a different gear ratio in the differential, so pulling with them shouldn't be too bad.
And I think ALL vehicle should have the oil and tranny coolers on them even without the towing package. Your fluids will take alot longer to break down thus giving you better lubrication throughout and longer engine/tranny life.

dusty
01-28-2007, 10:08 AM
I pull my 17-1/2' Fisher MarshHawk 3v (wght 1500lbs) with a 04 Honda Element. The Honda is 166hp 4 cyl all wheel drive and it tows the boat fine. When I get into hills I take the overdrive off on the auto tranny. It has 4 wheel disc brakes and I never have a problem going up or down ramps. It has a small wheelbase so it maneuvers the boat easily in tight spaces. I get about 20mpg on the hi-way where as it normally get about 26-28 without the boat. It tows as easily as my Dodge Caravan does which has a 3.3 v-6 and they both get about the same mileage towing. They are both good overnite vehicles. The front seats fold back to the back seat which reclines all the way to form 2 7ft beds in the element. Thats why they put the sun roof in the back, so when you are laying down you are looking out the sunroof. When I load my boat up I let the tailgate down and just step off the boat after driving it on and crawl to the front seat so I never have to get in the water or get my shoes wet. A nice little feature. I don't think I would tow with this rig with a heavier boat though.

crappiefarmer
01-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I am not an expert on this, but in my oppinion, most of your 4 wheel drive vehicles have a different gear ratio in the differential, so pulling with them shouldn't be too bad.
And I think ALL vehicle should have the oil and tranny coolers on them even without the towing package. Your fluids will take alot longer to break down thus giving you better lubrication throughout and longer engine/tranny life.

Your right about the oil coolers. I have a dodge with a cummins diesel and it has one. The small trucks with 4 wheel drive are O.K. as long as you have low range. USE IT on the ramps. If you only have 2wd and a 4 cylinder, then a ramp will be very rough on the transmission. If you have a manual trans, It will eat up a clutch. Seen it done. Ford ranger, 4cylinder, manual trans, 2wd pulling a 16' alluminum jon boat. would hardly pull boat up the ramp. Need a big 4 cylinder with 4wd and dual ranges at least. Either manual or automatic will be fine but manual will give you a little more power and better gas milage. Get oil coolers. This will save the life of your transmission. If you run an automatic, NEVER and I mean NEVER pull your boat in OVERDRIVE. Pulling in OD, the transmission is turning too slow to keep cool. Pulling in regular drive is recomended. This will turn the Trans fast enough to keep oil cool and you will be fine. It won't make much difference on fuel millage either because pulling in OD makes your motor lug and it is drinking gas then too. :cool: CF

SLAB-ASSASIN
01-28-2007, 11:44 AM
if u can find an olt toyota for cheap

Ragfly Jig Man
01-28-2007, 12:05 PM
I pulled a 16ft Grumman crappie boat with a Ford ranger for four or five years and never had any trouble except at some steep ramps and then it wasn't the motor problem it was the trans.

Frogger
01-28-2007, 12:15 PM
I went fishing with a co-worker one time several years ago. He was pulling a 17 ft tracker boat with a Geo Tracker (a small 4x4 sort of like a Suzuki Samurai).
When we got to the boat ramp to back down the boat pulled the truck all the way down with the brakes locked up until we got to the water. Then when we loaded he had to put it in 4wd Lo to get up the ramp. Besides that the boat pulled it all over the road.

papasage
01-28-2007, 12:20 PM
285,000.00 have never changed the trannie fluid . onley added some when the line sprung a leak . i changed the filter also . pull my boat all the time . it has a 318 engin . still runs grest . had a 18 ft at one time . now have a 20 ft. pontoon . have pulled 20 ft. farm traylor with it several times . pulled a 20 ft. cargo traylor 2 times 260 miles round trip .i have owned a good menny cars and trucks with automatic in the past 45 years . i have never changed the fluid in a automatic trannie. doesen`t have a towing package either.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/papasage/deliveryvann001.jpg .

hogster
01-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Papasage i wouldn't try that with one of the newer electronic Transmissions.You will end up sittin on the side of the road.:D

papasage
01-28-2007, 07:09 PM
my wifes nissan with 125000 is still running :D . my brother and his son has a chevy pickup when they had a dealer to flush and drain their trannie wasen`t lon befor it went out . haven`t seen menny that had 100000 on them that the trannie hasen`t ben replaced . talked to a lady the other day had her navagtor went after they change the fluid . wan`t change fluid unless it is under wrenty :eek: . even a trannie mechanic told me not to:D

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
01-28-2007, 08:05 PM
I pull my 2001 Ranger Cherokee with a 97 Toyota Tacoma 4wd. No problem at all. I do however turn my overdrive off when towing.

hogster
01-28-2007, 08:15 PM
I have 198000 on my truck and the trans. is still goin strong.I flush it every 50000 or so and i pull it hard.

chaunc
01-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I tow my lund with my caprice classic. It has 135,000 on it. I have the transmission cooler, air shocks, and roadmaster coils on it. I have my tranny tuned every other year. They check it, change fluid and filter. Altho this lund is heavier than my tracker was, it still pulls it pretty good. Made 3 trips to Ky lake from Pa. 645 miles each way. Its a v-8 tho.

FalconSmitty
01-28-2007, 09:10 PM
I've hauled 150-200 watermelons on a old truckbed trailer and in the back of a ford ranger 4cyl. Did it 2 years. Just use the gears right.
The trouble might be stopping. Most 4cyl trucks and cars are small so the boat just pushes them

Minnerman
01-28-2007, 10:00 PM
my wifes nissan with 125000 is still running :D . my brother and his son has a chevy pickup when they had a dealer to flush and drain their trannie wasen`t lon befor it went out . haven`t seen menny that had 100000 on them that the trannie hasen`t ben replaced . talked to a lady the other day had her navagtor went after they change the fluid . wan`t change fluid unless it is under wrenty :eek: . even a trannie mechanic told me not to:D
I have a 2004 Z-71 Crew cab with 162,000 miles on it. At 100,000 I had the tranny serviced and I plan to have it serviced again at 200,000 later on this summer. I have put everyone of these mile on it in 2.5 years. I am a believer in Chevys.

ShilohRed
01-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Towing and pulling is not the thing to be thinking about.
Its stopping the load.
Or how a heavy load on a light car or truck and make control deadly.
Pete

weldcraft
01-28-2007, 10:11 PM
pulled a 17 1/2' fish and ski for a few years with a 97 nissan 4x4 with a 4 cylinder. it had to work to keep speed going up hills, but other than that, it pulled the boat fine and i just came back up the ramp in 4 hi, 4 low if the grade was steep. i have a 99 dodge dakota 4x4 with a v6, and i think the nissan pulled the boat just as well as the dodge.

DRPEPPER
01-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Towing and pulling is not the thing to be thinking about.
Its stopping the load.
Or how a heavy load on a light car or truck and make control deadly.
Pete

Me Too
I just gave my sone a perfectly good S10. It pulled my 16' stick steer Ok. But, I had to plan way ahead to stop or pass someone. I enjoy pulling now with my 1/2 ton Chevy and V8.
DP

fiddlefarter
01-29-2007, 11:16 AM
I think pretty much any truck will handle a bass tracker. What does it weigh? I pull my Stratos with an '03 Chevy s10 with 4.3V6, auto. Went up to Center Hill Lake last summer and was walking past people at 70mph going up the big hill. I still get 23mpg driving to work every day. The I-5 in the Colorados get better mpg than I do. Usually when I go far I borrow my dads Chevy Dually,454... I guess this doesn't really relate other than I get 20+mpg and I know I could take an aluminum Tracker anywhere I want safely...

My dad pulls his Tracker with a Mitsubishi 4 cyl. most of the time though, as it pulls it fine and he doesn't really need the big truck with it.

All trailers without brakes push/pull the tow vehicle when trying to stop.You want to tailgate people and speed all the time, you ought to get some trailer brakes. Otherwise drive safe and use the transmission if you have to to slow down.

I'd look into the Chevy Colorado/ GMC Canyon and see what they are rated to tow with a 4cyl and specs. Shop around different brands online. (I'm obligated to recommend GM, they put food on my sisters table)

frank lawhead
01-29-2007, 11:30 AM
I think pretty much any truck will handle a bass tracker. What does it weigh? I pull my Stratos with an '03 Chevy s10 with 4.3V6, auto. Went up to Center Hill Lake last summer and was walking past people at 70mph going up the big hill. I still get 23mpg driving to work every day. The I-5 in the Colorados get better mpg than I do. Usually when I go far I borrow my dads Chevy Dually,454... I guess this doesn't really relate other than I get 20+mpg and I know I could take an aluminum Tracker anywhere I want safely...

My dad pulls his Tracker with a Mitsubishi 4 cyl. most of the time though, as it pulls it fine and he doesn't really need the big truck with it.

All trailers without brakes push/pull the tow vehicle when trying to stop.You want to tailgate people and speed all the time, you ought to get some trailer brakes. Otherwise drive safe and use the transmission if you have to to slow down.

I'd look into the Chevy Colorado/ GMC Canyon and see what they are rated to tow with a 4cyl and specs. Shop around different brands online. (I'm obligated to recommend GM, they put food on my sisters table)

NOT TO ARGUE OR BE SMART ABOUT THIS BUT DRIVING I-75 TO FLORIDA IF YOU LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO STOP SOME WILL PASS YOU AND YOU,RE BACK TO NO ROOM

crappiefarmer
01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
When you go to buy a truck, most of the time the smaller motor option is for people who will just use the truck for commuting to work or take the trash off or just load the bed. The smaller motor was designed to give you better milage for that reason. Once you start deciding to pull things then you need to take into account the weight of your boat and how much of a drag you are putting on the motor, transmission and brakes. Any time you are causing your motor or transmission to labor, you are shortining the life of it. the transmission especially. It will run hotter if it is too small for the job and you risk warping valves in the tranny. If that happens then the tranny will not shift as it is supposed to and will stick in a gear way too long and you will run the risk of damaging the torque converter which is essentially the clutch of the automatic transmission. On the manual, you run the risk of burning the clutch up way too prematurly. If I were to use a small truck to pull a boat then for one, the boat would have to be lite and 4wd with low range would be a must. You could probably get away with a 4 cylider but it would need to ba a big 4 and put out plenty of horse power. The more horses you have on a particular vehicle the better fuel economy you will have as long as you keep your foot out of it. What I mean is, I know a ranger will get better gas milage than a full size but a ranger with a six cylinder can and will get just as good a gas milage as a 4 if you keep your foot out of it. A six will get better MPG pulling a load than a 4 because the motor is not laboring as hard. The brakes can be cheated on a bit if you have heavy duty, usually aftermarket brakes installed on a smaller vehicle. As far as the motor goes, a diesel motor provides the best of both worlds. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 with a cummins diesel. It is a staight 6. I get 24 MPG and I can pull 10 tons like it ain't even back there. It almost laughs at me when I hook my boat up to it and wants to tell me to get a real boat. And my boat is a stratod 264. It is a heavy boat for its size. I also have an alluminum boat and I can't even feel it going down the road. I would recommend like someone else already has is to find a older truck to do your heay pulling that is set up for heavier loads and if you need a vehicle for gas milage then get a car or small truck with a small 4 cylinder. CF

Matt Smith
01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
SRM, my truck is a 4 cylinder. You've seen it. I've hooked to a buddy's 17' Tracker like yours and pulled and stopped it just fine. If you go with a Tacoma, the 4wd 5speed has lower gear ratios. Mine has 4.30 while the autos have 4.10's

fiddlefarter
01-29-2007, 06:02 PM
NOT TO ARGUE OR BE SMART ABOUT THIS BUT DRIVING I-75 TO FLORIDA IF YOU LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO STOP SOME WILL PASS YOU AND YOU,RE BACK TO NO ROOM

you're right about that. Of course if you're on I75 and doing less than 85 then you'll get passed anyway.

Local fishing trips I think a small truck would be fine. Especially with a V6 like the Chevy 4.3 or the I5 in the CO. As long as the weight isn't over what the trucks rated for. And you drive carefully.

grubby
01-29-2007, 06:16 PM
well you might laugh, but I pull my maiden craft bass boat with a 1992 ford aerostar mini van with a 3.0 liter V-6. the boat weighs 3300 lbs, the van has 195000 on it. it has a 4 speed with over drive manual trans. been pulling it for the last 9yrs. it gets 24 miles to the gallon pulling my boat 28 without. I've had very good luck with it pulling up some pretty steep ramps. I've had several people try and buy that van for me at several boat ramps when they find out it has a manual trans. They are not to common in mini vans I guess. I hope to have it at least another five years or more because its been a good one.