Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pulling Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling Boat

Anybody tell me if they pull there boat with a 4 cylinder motor, I've got to get
    some relief from my dodge truck gas mileage, 13.75 mpg. I was thinking bout
    getting a smaller truck with 4 cylinder motor, but I don't think it will even handle my bass tracker.
    I've checked on the six cylinder motors and the mileage on them is not much
    better than my dodge, any idea's ?.

SRM

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up No Problem

Quote Originally Posted by spider rig man
    Anybody tell me if they pull there boat with a 4 cylinder motor, I've got to get
    some relief from my dodge truck gas mileage, 13.75 mpg. I was thinking bout
    getting a smaller truck with 4 cylinder motor, but I don't think it will even handle my bass tracker.
    I've checked on the six cylinder motors and the mileage on them is not much
    better than my dodge, any idea's ?.

SRM
    I pulled a 16' jonboat for years with a 1984, 4 cylinder Toyota 4x4. No Problem. :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled a Ranger boat with a 4 cylinder Nissan...I wouldnt want to do it everyday..but other truck broke down, and had no choice. It did pretty good, unless you were trying to pull a hill..then it cursed you pretty good

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled a 14 foot weldtek with a 25 suzuki for a while and it done ok, only problem was using steep lauches was hard on it.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling Boat

Holy Moly, you pulled a ranger, wow my boats weight is nothing conparred to
    a ranger.

srm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spider rig man
    Holy Moly, you pulled a ranger, wow my boats weight is nothing conparred to
    a ranger.

srm
    these new trucks have surprising horsepower for their size. some years back the Mazda 2.3 was barely 100 h.p. The Mazda 2.3 used in the Ford Rangers now develops almost 150 h.p. I have one in my 03 ranger that I wouldn't take a gold monkey (PETA) for. Gets 29 mpg and drags my 14ft jon boat with everything in it up some of the roughest ramps in Miss.
    Mazda also has a 2.6 Engine they use in their trucks that is even more powerful. Toyota uses a 2.7 that is awesome. These new Colorado trucks by Chevrolet have some good engines with plenty of power. check'em out. Chrysler comes up short on the dakota four cyl. Their 2.5 just isn't the engine it could be. lol

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Yes, but ....

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    these new trucks have surprising horsepower for their size. some years back the Mazda 2.3 was barely 100 h.p. The Mazda 2.3 used in the Ford Rangers now develops almost 150 h.p. I have one in my 03 ranger that I wouldn't take a gold monkey (PETA) for. Gets 29 mpg and drags my 14ft jon boat with everything in it up some of the roughest ramps in Miss.
    Mazda also has a 2.6 Engine they use in their trucks that is even more powerful. Toyota uses a 2.7 that is awesome. These new Colorado trucks by Chevrolet have some good engines with plenty of power. check'em out. Chrysler comes up short on the dakota four cyl. Their 2.5 just isn't the engine it could be. lol
    is horsepower alone, enough ??

I've got a 94Chevy 4dr S10 Blazer 4.3L/ 200HP (enhanced V6) 2WD w/auto tranny... I get 17mpg city/22mpg hwy (w/o boat) ... and around 17mpg with 17ft Tracker TX17/50hp OB and gear for two. It does not have a towing package.
    My question is this ... in reference to the question about 4cyl vs 6cyl engines ... wouldn't a towing package be beneficial ? If not already installed ... would adding a oil cooling & tranny cooling system be a good move ? I don't know that it would increase gas milage, or anything ... but, wouldn't it be of some benefit as far as engine performance and longevity ?? Would it be necessary, only if you towed a boat ...often/far ... or would it be beneficial, even for the "occasional" towing trip ??
    Just curious ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Pappy, I would certainly consider a towing package for some of the older trucks of your size, since the suspension under it was designed to "soften the ride" so to speak instead of hauling boats and trailers around. I had a "92 S-10 that was too soft on suspension to do much hauling. Had to upgrade shocks and rear springs to keep it on some of these Miss. roads while pulling my boat. Had lot better control. I'm not sure about today's trucks. Mine had ample (03 Ranger) suspension off the showroom floor without a towing package. that would really depend on how much weight you're pulling. all of them have a max. towing capacity, that could be increased with towing packages.
    Oil coolers might be an over kill, but auto trans fluid coolers would be good for long hauls in excessive heat. hot roads and hills are murder on GM and Chrysler auto trans. without fluid coolers. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL best advice keep the truck for towing the boat and buy an old beater car for driving to work and stuff. Its what I ended up doing. Found an old 92 dodge shadow to drive to work and run errands for 300 dollars. My big dodge never moves unless its to see the lake

Post Thanks / Like

I pull my 17' alum 40hp Honda with my 1993 4 cyl jeep. It only gets around 16 mpg and with the boat behind it around 14mpg. It pulls it fine but will scare you at some steep boat ramps. When you apply the brakes the front tires side. No problems getting the boat out. I also have pulled my 18' Boston Whaler with it, does fine. Same problem with backing it down steep ramps. I think a Toyota four wheel driver would be a lot better.
    1967/68

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast