PDA

View Full Version : Still confused on what we all call types of fishing in our posts

Shad
02-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Love this site but I wish we could all call the types of crappie fishing the same names in our posts. May be it is impossible. Here is my terminology and how I do it. Ok, so where is mine wrong? LOL Anyone else struggle with this?

Spider - Rigging: pushing jigs and minnows in front of boat with 1/2 oz or less weight at 0.3 mph

Longlining Jigs: pulling jigs with no added weights behind the boat at 0.8 mph

Longlining Crankbaits: pulling crankbaits with no added weights behind the boat at 1.8 mph

Pushing jigs: spider rigging jigs with large weights in front of boat at 0.8 mph

Pushing crankbaits: spider rigging crankbaits with large weights in front of boat at 1.8 mph

lowe175
02-16-2016, 01:52 PM
I can get confusing but I would say you got it. Most of the terms used depends on what part of the country you're in.

armyman
02-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Looks good to me! I'd say you got it, also.

deathb4disco
02-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Love this site but I wish we could all call the types of crappie fishing the same names in our posts. May be it is impossible. Here is my terminology and how I do it. Ok, so where is mine wrong? LOL Anyone else struggle with this?

Spider - Rigging: pushing jigs and minnows in front of boat with 1/2 oz or less weight at 0.3 mph

Longlining Crankbaits: pulling crankbaits with no added weights behind the boat at 1.8 mph

Pushing jigs: spider rigging jigs with large weights in front of boat at 0.8 mph

Pushing crankbaits: spider rigging crankbaits with large weights in front of boat at 1.8 mph

There's also this thing called "casting" which has been working for me for about forty years.

Blackhawk19
02-16-2016, 02:26 PM

You forgot "Relaxed" fishing, one or two minnows out under a slip float on a 12' rods around a honey hole and casting a road runner on a 7' UL and just chillin watching the sun come up!!

"G"
02-16-2016, 02:52 PM
Best thing is..................its all fishing :ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp

Ketchn
02-16-2016, 02:58 PM
we do the "pitch" technique ....and then ....SWING batter SWING ....LOL

ibmack
02-16-2016, 03:16 PM
best of all is one pole with no hook, a cold brew, and the Eagles thumping in my earbuds. no cleaning whe I get home :highfive

Crestliner08
02-16-2016, 07:13 PM
And then there's just drifting along on a warm spring breeze, dragging a couple of jigs. And let's not forget slip bobber fishing! :)

Brimfisher
02-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Don't forget, sitting in the boat with Dad or best friend telling stories (lies) and laughing at old stories (lies). Pulling the color off jigs.

Mike R
02-16-2016, 07:56 PM
This topic would make a good sticky!

Tom 513
02-16-2016, 08:14 PM
And then there is dock shooting, not to be confused with duck shooting

crappielimits
02-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Don't forget vertical jigging. Longlining can be called pulling. Spider rigging can be called tightlining and can be done almost sitting still or bumping trolling motor. Speeds for each tactic vary. Especially, longlining jigs. I commonly longline between .7 and 1.4 MPH with jigs.

CrappiePappy
02-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Don't forget vertical jigging. Longlining can be called pulling. Spider rigging can be called tightlining and can be done almost sitting still or bumping trolling motor. Speeds for each tactic vary. Especially, longlining jigs. I commonly longline between .7 and 1.4 MPH with jigs.

And some refer to longline trolling as "tightlining" :Doh:

But, when I refer to "tightlining" .... I'm talking about "still fishing" (not moving, as in tied up or anchored & fishing straight down over the side of the boat).

We had a discussion about this very thing, what single "name" to call the different methods of fishing, sometime back ... and it basically came down to regional differences or what you first heard it called, as to what "name" you gave each one. So, I seriously doubt there will ever be a consensus on giving each method a single, identifying name.

... cp :kewl

lowe175
02-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Also in my neck of the woods call tightlining casting a jig

"G"
02-16-2016, 09:33 PM
The best method of all concerning fishing is................................................ .................................................. .................................................. ................................deep frying:biggrin

G.Gordon
02-16-2016, 11:06 PM
Dippin.... 10-12' rod, jig or minnow, lowered into cover (dipped in the cover), waiting a sec for the thump then extract the jig and repeat on the next cover.

Dyabolical
02-17-2016, 12:46 AM
So what is dead sticking?

CrappiePappy
02-17-2016, 08:51 AM
So what is dead sticking?

Rod in hand, minimal to none existent movement of the bait is what I consider "dead sticking". Or, in other words, vertical jigging without the "jigging" :fingerdance

... cp :kewl

fishervet
02-17-2016, 09:42 AM
do em all at the right time of year...that's talent....That i don't have.but that's why I visit this site multiple times daily.

feelay
02-17-2016, 10:42 AM
I call that "Bass fishing" lol
There's also this thing called "casting" which has been working for me for about forty years.

wannabe fisherman
02-17-2016, 11:35 AM
I just call it fishin' don't matter how I do it, it's still fishin'

Shad
02-17-2016, 12:41 PM
I tried LOL

Tom 513
02-17-2016, 01:53 PM
I tried LOL

Yeah, its kinda like asking a Southern and a Northern man how they pronounce Crappie, some use a long A some a short A, either way its the same fish!

crappielimits
02-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Yeah, its kinda like asking a Southern and a Northern man how they pronounce Crappie, some use a long A some a short A, either way its the same fish!

Southerners seldom use that word crappie. Call them Specs or speckled perch around here. Do to the fact we have mostly black crappie. Many call white crappie white perch or sacalait.

fishervet
02-18-2016, 05:36 PM
I call it TRUE LOVE........and am still addicted.