Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Flying for crappie ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flying for crappie ?

I'm venturing into using a Tenkara rod for crappie,and gills,not seeing much on the forum about fly fishing for crappie makes me wonder if it's a worthy endeavor?

Post Thanks / Like

We have a FF forum here:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fly-fishing/

We have had a few tenkara threads. My experience with tenkara is limited, but I prefer a regular fly outfit for a couple of reasons:

1) To me, one of the greatest joys of fly fishing is the casting. "Casting" in tenkara is different and very limited.

2) I think tenkara shines in moving water where the water animates the fly. In lakes/ponds, you have to move the rod to move the fly, since there is no reel. I found this tiring.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a Fly Fishing Forum here on C.C - go below the state forums to find it. There are a few FFers here, myself being one of them. I usually take Crappie on streamer flys - Crappie Candy & Micky Finn mostly. I have my best luck during the bluegill spawn when the Crappie are invading the BG nesting areas. While I am familiar with the Tenkara rods I find Crappie are much to wary to let me close enough to dabble for them if they are shallow. My go-to FF rod is a 9' 3WT with a floating line and straight 4# fluorocarbon leader. The leader sinks slowly enough and is very stealthy even in clear water. SLOW retrieves work best. Good luck and make sure you take a camera to record your catch so you can share.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of a fancy name for cane pole/ telescoping pole? That fancy names comes with a cost as well. Dang!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    Kind of a fancy name for cane pole/ telescoping pole?
    Yeah, pretty much.

In their defense, Japanese pole technology is top-notch. Their telescopic poles are better than anything sold in this country. I have a Japanese hera pole that is amazingly strong.
    Likes gillchaser999 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

While they can be pricey ( eBay saved me bunches) nothing compares in the telescoping world.My shoulder injuries have pretty much taken standard fly fishing styles out of the picture,Tenkara allows me to wrist cast.Thanks for the input,though I've never really encountered spooking crappie while dipping,or casting even when fishing shallow.I fish for crappie and gills from a kayak exclusively,often sitting amongst them anchored in shallows.
    I spent several days last season,anchored in stump filled water less than 4' deep,I was using a short super ultralight and a rearranged bettlespin.It was some of my most successful crappie fishing,I'm sure using a fly will be productive in the same setting,thanks again for the input .

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a buggy whip fan too, albeit a rookie and mostly self taught. That means I have perfected mistakes. Look up a fly called a Crappie Candy, work pretty good for me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I'm a buggy whip fan too, albeit a rookie and mostly self taught. That means I have perfected mistakes. Look up a fly called a Crappie Candy, work pretty good for me.
    Thanks,I will check it out.