Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spring prespawn

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spring prespawn

I have a question regarding the spring prespawn. When do the fish start moving in a prespawn pattern ? Is this generally after ice out or whats the deal, I've never fished for prespawn-spawn-postspawn crappies before and would like to know how long i have to wait before i can really start fishing more often. I mainly fish for bass so this spring crappie thing is new to me. Ive casught them summer to winter but never spring.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone may have a different answer but in general it depends on the weather and the water temperatures.

You might want to look at the In-Fishermen Book called "Crappie Wisdom" as it's one of the best references out there that I have read. It covers all types of lakes and different seasons.

If memory serves me right it's about the time that the surface water temps reach about 50 degs F.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman
    I have a question regarding the spring prespawn. When do the fish start moving in a prespawn pattern ? Is this generally after ice out or whats the deal, I've never fished for prespawn-spawn-postspawn crappies before and would like to know how long i have to wait before i can really start fishing more often. I mainly fish for bass so this spring crappie thing is new to me. Ive casught them summer to winter but never spring.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you can get that book off amazon used and in good condition for a good price.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on the size, depth, and location of the lake more than anything. Here in Washington the crappie will begin pre-spawn movements as early as late March or as late as the last weeks of April. They may spawn as early as mid-April or as late as mid-May or early June in the bigger lakes like Lake Washington and Potholes Res. In some of the smaller ponds around Federal Way, Renton, and the Snake River (Lyons Ferry area) the crappie will be in full spawn by the last week of Apirl.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Around here in Central Illinois, ponds produce at least a couple of weeks before the lakes will. We catch some nice crappie and bass (while crappie fishing) right after ice out. The shallow interstate ponds produce very early. The lakes start producing around the first of April.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS