Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pier Fishing A New Spot...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pier Fishing A New Spot...

Hey guys I've always done my pier/land based crappie fishing where I sink cover, but I have access to a place that I can't put anything in. I have fished it a couple times so I know where a few snags are, and the bottom contour (a dropoff to 9 FOW mainly). It is a pier with a boat dock from shore to 9 feet deep depending on water level. If you get on the floating dock you can shoot a jig under the pier.

Once I have fished visible cover like the pier, what would you guys do to find the crappie? I've considered dropshot rigs and caught a little 2 lb bass on one right on the dropoff. The crappie aren't supposed to be there yet but they should in another month or two. Can also cast slip float or fixed float rig? I don't normally use them but I grabbed a pack of the clip on weighted corks for a little extra casting distance, too.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use a 1/32 Oz jig with a ul rod. Make long cast and count down and reel very slowly. This probably catches more fish for me than any other way.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there deeper water nearby, preferably within casting distance ??

Is it that you cannot sink cover AT the dock/pier, or is it that you cannot put cover "anywhere" on the lake ??

Reason I ask is ... many dock owners that fish around their docks, especially those in shallower waters, put cover out away from their docks ... but, still within casting distance of the dock, in deeper water. This gives them access to fish that may not stay around their docks, while also providing them with a place to "hang out" as they travel to and from the shallows and the docks.

As far as the "floating dock" & the "pier" .... I'd fish the one that created the biggest/darkest shadow. Under them when the wind is light, and closer to the bottom .... around/beside them when the wind puts a little chop on the water, and closer to the underside of the dock/pier itself.

... cp
    Likes KingC135 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Is there deeper water nearby, preferably within casting distance ??

Is it that you cannot sink cover AT the dock/pier, or is it that you cannot put cover "anywhere" on the lake ??

Reason I ask is ... many dock owners that fish around their docks, especially those in shallower waters, put cover out away from their docks ... but, still within casting distance of the dock, in deeper water. This gives them access to fish that may not stay around their docks, while also providing them with a place to "hang out" as they travel to and from the shallows and the docks.

As far as the "floating dock" & the "pier" .... I'd fish the one that created the biggest/darkest shadow. Under them when the wind is light, and closer to the bottom .... around/beside them when the wind puts a little chop on the water, and closer to the underside of the dock/pier itself.

... cp
    The owners don't want it. Their relatives actually got tired of getting hung while fishing (very occasionally) and took a pontoon and a hook and drug all of the cover away out into the lake.

While catching bait for catfishing (bream, white perch) I found a hole that I'm expecting to catch crappie in once they move out of the river channel and into shallower water. It held a ton of tiny catfish, bream, and white perch. Cast other places and it's just dead. I'm guessing either some of the cover got dropped there, or there's a hole or something to hold the fish.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Find where they drug it to . Game on !
    Likes smoothlures LIKED above post