Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Lunch date

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Lunch date

I typically have a lunch date with my lady every week at an Italian food spot we enjoy . the other 4 days a week i typically try to have a lunch date with a few crappie . Keep in mind even the larger crappie are subject to release and i go just because i want to see and or feel a bite . The fish here in downtown Ft. Worth are not typically easy to Ketchn in many cases due to various reasons. The spots i hit are no secrets and sometimes there are folks already in them when i arrive .
    Case in point .....i hit a spot and there are 3 fellas already minnow "fishin" with big ole bobbers that look like tennis balls . They proceed to tell me they are not biting today . I tell them you have to remember these fish are getting the tackle box tossed at them and it isnt always easy to Ketch fish that have become wary due to angling pressure .
    I then proceed to pitch my jig and first cast i set the hook ! second cast i set the hook ! third cast i set the hook and it goes on and on . They are just looking at me with that look like they just saw bigfoot ! so anyway here comes one that has about 6 rods laying on the ground . He says what are you using ? I said just a bare jig a friend of mine makes on a gold head about 18 inches under a float . I tell him the fish are somewhat suspended at what i imagine is about 4 foot down in 9 foot of water . So off to the races we go . he begins pitching like its on and proceeds to pitch where i tell him . Float goes down and he sets the hook like he is afraid to hurt the fish ...MISS ......
    So now my new" bud starts offering me advice ...he says man you set the hook like you are Marlin fishin . you should go easy on them or you will just rip off the crappie lip !
    I told him the various reasons i set the hook like that and that sometimes i do in fact put large holes in the lips , but with an ultralite 7 foot and mono and long casts with a styrofoam float if i dont set it like that I wont Ketch many of the fish that are fooled into striking my jig . Now mind you this ....i have always been known for earth shattering hook sets and in some cases my buds will tell ya my feet even leave the ground and or boat deck ! I have even had professional crappie "fishermen" tell me to ease up on em !
    But mind ya in the end i take that advice as always and place it where i wont ever find it so is there no chance of me using it !
    So there you have it ...i managed 28 crappie and one sand bass on my lunch date to my "new" buds ONE bluegill .....
    as always stay tuned cause it aint over quite yet .....have a great day and hope you enjoyed the read and photos
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes sooners08, Ferdi, Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice story and photos.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Nice story and photos.
    thanks sir and btw ,,,,i had a dinner date the night before with some crappie as well .......
    BAKED BAJA CRISPY ones that is ......
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Great story, I have a few just like it. It's funny how some people are full of advice. Anyway you made me laugh first thing in the morning that's not easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice read, thanks.
    If we did what was most important in life there would be a shortage of Bibles.................and fishing poles

Post Thanks / Like

Hay Ketchn I have you some good advice. "If it ain't broke don't fix it". You doing good. Thanks for the fishing information and pictures.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

You da man fer sure yeah.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep..you can lead a horse to water,but..................

Post Thanks / Like

good read thanks

Post Thanks / Like

because of you I caught catfish....really appreciate your stories...keep em comin.
    Likes Ferdi LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast