PDA

View Full Version : Planer Boards ?

nite owl
02-10-2016, 06:45 PM
For the guys that use them , what kind do you prefer?

bchappell
02-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Yellowbird

jwilson904
02-10-2016, 07:17 PM
I use crappiereaper boards.

bfish
02-10-2016, 07:56 PM
For cranks, I prefer a mast and double boards, and clip each line on with shower curtain ring.

For jigs, got a mix of inline boards (yellowbird/crappiereaper/church/offshore). They all work, just size them to your jig size and speed.

Yadkin Guide
02-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Water Bugz planer boards work well for smaller applications such as crappie or live bait for striped bass. For heavier applications try the "Tracker" planer board. Both are for sell at Extreme Fishing Concepts (http://www.extremefishingconcepts.com)
Both of these boards are tried and true having been on the market for years. I have used them for years for everything from crappie to striped bass to catfish with both artifical baits as well as natural baits.

"G"
02-11-2016, 05:30 AM
Off Shore boards........They are a major sponsor of Crappie.Com Off Shore Tackle | Official Web Site (http://www.offshoretackle.com/)

arkansasbowhunter
02-11-2016, 12:57 PM
I have been using the crappie reaper planet boards. They are easy to use. They can be used with cranks and jigs. Give them a look as they are a lot cheaper than the other yellow boards.

hotrodsrx
02-11-2016, 01:08 PM
My brother and I use Offshore OR12's, We had pretty good luck pulling little ARKIE crankbaits with them last summer.

We use them for Walleye as well.

Slab
02-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Off Shore Tackle are the best I've seen, bar none.

http://crappie.com/1ads/buttons/OffshoreTackle.png (http://offshoretackle.com/)

Support those that support us.

TN crappie hunter
02-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the kind remarks from those that use my boards I appreciate your business. I am a MEMBER Sponsor so does this not count?

TN Fisher
02-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Make my own.

Slab
02-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the kind remarks from those that use my boards I appreciate your business. I am a MEMBER Sponsor so does this not count?

You count too. But I've not tried yours. Send some for contests here if you want. Pm me.

TN crappie hunter
02-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Thank you. Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Cane Pole
02-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Me and planer boards just don't get along. They ain't worth a hoot or I ain't. I prefer to believe my fist assessment.

jwilson904
02-11-2016, 05:38 PM

I caught both of these on crappie reaper boards. I have never used anything else so I don't know if they are better than other brands but they work.

arkansasbowhunter
02-11-2016, 09:17 PM

Cray
02-12-2016, 09:47 AM
I use one called a Sidewinder, it is installed on the line and slides up and down the line. Used the off Shore which are good boards but have arthritis in my hands so bad anymore I can't mash the clips to open them.

yikess
02-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Always used Offshore until two years ago when I bought my first pair of Opti's. Last year I pulled a pair of the Opti "medium" size boards which I found better for Crappie. The clips are still nice and wide and the board itself is about 75% the size of their normal " large/OR-12" size board giving it enough surface area for a wide spread out to the side. This year I will be pulling six Opti mediums and leaving the Offshore's at home.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk 2

Specklocker
02-13-2016, 02:42 PM
I saw the Krappie King and Duck Commander guys using 'planer corks'. What's the difference and where can they be found?

M R Dux
02-14-2016, 06:06 AM
I saw the Krappie King and Duck Commander guys using 'planer corks'. What's the difference and where can they be found?
Mine can be found in a dumpster. Nobody can say I won't give a product more than a fair shake but I will also be brutally honest about my experiences with that product. I bought several sizes of the "planer corks" and used them EXACTLY how the manufacturer recommended. All I had from them was disappointment and frustration. They wouldn't run in formation like regular planers will, some would tumble and even try to dive. I even tried them in ways I thought might work but were different from what the maker said to do. Nothing worked as advertised. I cut my losses and tossed them in the trash.

I own the "Lil Hustlers" (I think that is what he calls them) that tenncrappie makes. They are exactly the same board as the Crappie Sharks and he had the blessing of the guy who made the Crappie Sharks to start producing them. I also own Yellow Birds,Opti, Church, Off-shore, you name it, I've tried it. For small boards, I like the tenncrappie board for out of the package use. I've had to modify some of the others to fit my needs. I will always use the Optis with the flag kit for medium to large crankbaits.

BTW, I've bought each and every one of the boards I mentioned. Not a penny from any of them was given to me to try a product. Lots of folks pushing items do so because they are paid to or given merchandise for good publicity.

TN crappie hunter
02-14-2016, 07:42 AM
The boards I make are exactly like the Crappie Shark and Mr. Bishop gave me his blessing to copy/ build these boards also.

M R Dux
02-14-2016, 07:52 AM
mrdux, The boards I make are exactly like the Crappie Shark and Mr. Bishop showed me how to build them and gave me his blessing to copy/ build these boards. Don't let anyone tell you any different.
I never said a word about you or your boards.

TN crappie hunter
02-14-2016, 08:22 AM
I never said a word about you or your boards.

I know and do not mean any disrespect...just clarifying. Some false accusations have been spread about the issue above.

rockmike
02-14-2016, 10:20 AM
Church's for me.

arkansasbowhunter
02-14-2016, 11:22 AM
I have used offshore but they are cumbersome for one man to run. Mr. Dux I like the review on the corks lol. To the point. I think there is not one board for every person just no one rod for everyone.

TN crappie hunter
02-14-2016, 12:14 PM
I have used offshore but they are cumbersome for one man to run. Mr. Dux I like the review on the corks lol. To the point. I think there is not one board for every person just no one rod for everyone.

I agree boards are not a do it all for crappie fishing but they have there place when the condition is right.

Matt Lad
02-14-2016, 07:00 PM
For the guys that use them , what kind do you prefer?
I made my crappie planer boards out of 3/4" x 4" x 6" pieces of cedar. I just cut the front of each piece at a 45 degree angle and added two clips to hold the line. I also had to add a strip of lead to the rear to act as a counter balance to keep the board from diving. They work great for me. They're especially useful when trolling jigs in very shallow water.:twocents

crappie cowboy
02-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Always used Offshore until two years ago when I bought my first pair of Opti's. Last year I pulled a pair of the Opti "medium" size boards which I found better for Crappie. The clips are still nice and wide and the board itself is about 75% the size of their normal " large/OR-12" size board giving it enough surface area for a wide spread out to the side. This year I will be pulling six Opti mediums and leaving the Offshore's at home.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk 2

Hey yikess...Do you pull boards during the spawn?

Simpleman101
02-17-2016, 08:34 PM
Cray how do you like the sidewinder. How do you know you have a fish in.

Cray
02-17-2016, 09:25 PM
If it is a fish of any size it will pull back and Bob like a bobber. If real small fish it will start to track out of line. Not hard to tell once you get used to them. Takes a little practice launching but once you figure it out pretty easy. Much easier for me fishing by my self as much as I do. Pull cranks and jigs with them. I have run 3/4 oz weight ahead of 1/8 poney head with no problem.

Simpleman101
02-18-2016, 08:59 AM
Thanks

Stumblebum
02-18-2016, 09:27 AM
The March/April issue of In-fisherman Magazine has a very good in-depth story on planer boards for crappie and the methods to rig them. I have used planer boards for walleye but never considered them for crappie. I may try them this spring, if it ever gets here !