PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Nibbles advise

Nightprowler
02-10-2016, 11:46 AM
Which formula of Berkley Crappie Nibbles seem to work best for you?
Berkley Gulp
Berkley Glitter
Berkley Chromo-glow
Berkley Original?

And colors that have worked for you?

Thanks

chaunc
02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
All the glitters.

Bowhunter2
02-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Glow or glitter.

VaCrappieMan
02-10-2016, 01:46 PM
Glow white and chartreuse... Have some sparkle ones but hate it getting all over me so they aren't in my bag anymore

tenncrappie
02-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Glitter or glow makes a difference

Ketchn
02-10-2016, 05:14 PM
glow white ....when the glitter comes off they are white anyway ...LOL

shipahoy41
02-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Herb, I use glitter chartreuse.

"G"
02-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Herb, I use glitter chartreuse.

Thats all I use now also

Blackhawk19
02-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Glitter chartreuse but the glitter gets on you and your wife wonders if you've really been fishin :dono :Rofl

doggone
02-10-2016, 06:36 PM
I use a little of everything but 80 percent of the time I'm gonna have a chromaglow chartreuse. The glitters are sorta messy and some bottles I could not get to the stiffness I wanted. Batches can vary though. You have to learn to get any of them to the right stiffness (for lack of a better word) that is key. Too hard fish don't bite good and too soft fall off. Just right they dissolve just right to leave a trail but will last for 30 cast sometimes without falling off.Sometimes even catch multiple fish with them.

They are not just for crappie....have caught near everything that swims with them.
All the bass Smallmouth,largemouth,spotted,whites,hybrids,strip ers....walleye,sauger...catfish all species.... all the panfish shellcrackers,bluegill,sunfish,google eye... freshwater drum, herring, yellow perch,man I don't even think I remember everything.

Dollfly
02-10-2016, 06:43 PM
white glow

Nightprowler
02-10-2016, 08:12 PM
so the gulp is a no go...

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
02-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Glitter chartreuse nibbles are my favorite.

doggone
02-10-2016, 08:34 PM
so the gulp is a no go...
I have used some of the gulp products for other species but the nibbles are candy to a crappie.I have caught crappie on the Gulp minnows. Not saying you can't find one of the gulp products that will work...at some point I quit experimenting a lot because the nibbles were so good. I use the little gulp maggots and stuff for panfish. The best thing to do is get some different product and experiment. You have to put some time in on the water presenting this stuff to fish and track the results. When one of them is so decisively better for the type fishing your doing and location your at ...over the rest... then you know.

That Gulp stuff has its place.I used some in saltwater... some it it was really good.The locals there showed me what to use.

Heck i have not even began to try it all...and they change formulations a little here and there and new product coming out all the time.

You find something good you post back and tell us.

NIMROD
02-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Not a fan of nibbles of any flavor .:twocents Too messy and have not found them to help .

glasseyes
02-11-2016, 06:46 AM
I use a little of everything but 80 percent of the time I'm gonna have a chromaglow chartreuse. The glitters are sorta messy and some bottles I could not get to the stiffness I wanted. Batches can vary though. You have to learn to get any of them to the right stiffness (for lack of a better word) that is key. Too hard fish don't bite good and too soft fall off. Just right they dissolve just right to leave a trail but will last for 30 cast sometimes without falling off.Sometimes even catch multiple fish with them.

They are not just for crappie....have caught near everything that swims with them.
All the bass Smallmouth,largemouth,spotted,whites,hybrids,strip ers....walleye,sauger...catfish all species.... all the panfish shellcrackers,bluegill,sunfish,google eye... freshwater drum, herring, yellow perch,man I don't even think I remember everything.

I will buy jar and leave the lid off setting on my work bench in garage till they get to desired stiffness

NJcrappie
02-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Glitter chartreuse and the silver glitter

trypman1
02-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Glow chartreuse, for me. Don't leave home without them.

bkgooch
02-11-2016, 11:14 AM
glow chartruce for me

Bob/MN
02-11-2016, 12:09 PM
I use the original nibbles any color, I tried the glitter and it was too messy.
I do temper the nibbles so they are like a piece of leather. If they get too hard I wet apiece of paper towel and put in under the jar cover. When the nibbles are at the correct temper I remove the wet towel.
When using small baits I also cut the nibbles in half's or thirds.

INTIMIDATOR
02-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Chartreuse glow for me...Walleye even LOVE them.
I mainly add them for an added flash of color (gold) in stained water.

genec
02-11-2016, 12:34 PM
IF NIBBLES COLOR IS IMPORTANT WHY NOT CUT A PIECE OF WORM THE COLOR U WANT AND PUT ON JIG? IF IT IS SMELL WHY NOT USE JUICE,IT STAYS ON LONGER?

glasseyes
02-11-2016, 02:01 PM
I don't know if color of the nibble is important or not, but since I let the jar of nibbles dry out quite awhile before using them, I've had them stay on hook for way longer than I would think any liquid would.

INTIMIDATOR
02-11-2016, 06:14 PM
IF NIBBLES COLOR IS IMPORTANT WHY NOT CUT A PIECE OF WORM THE COLOR U WANT AND PUT ON JIG? IF IT IS SMELL WHY NOT USE JUICE,IT STAYS ON LONGER?

Different types of plastic can react with each other..."juice" can dry out plastics they are not made for...nibblets can be dried a bit, to last longer on the hook!
My swimbaits already have powered squid scent infused in them, I use the nibblets as another contrast. Nibblets also are made with seafood and don't effect the super soft plastic of my swimbaits. IMHO, a win-win!

genec
02-11-2016, 06:59 PM
use same kind of plastic,a lot of juice stays on a long time,just asking because u can get britter colors with plastic and as good of sent with juice,

frayed knot
02-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Hey Intimidator . I might be interested in your swimbaits for walleye. Where can I look at what colors and sizes you have.

trypman1
02-11-2016, 08:19 PM
WOW- LOL - They do work.

eagle 1
02-13-2016, 09:39 AM
I thought the nibbles were for jigging/cork fishing . So how well do they stay on casting ?

fishervet
02-13-2016, 10:10 AM
I thought the nibbles were for jigging/cork fishing . So how well do they stay on casting ?fresh ones stay on 50% of the time......older ,drier ones stay on better......

Yaker
02-13-2016, 10:36 AM
This thread tickles me a bit.Our local lakes are stocked every winter and spring with trout,power bait is the go to bait for them.There are perhaps 50 different color variations in power bait,but when it all boils down to it only a couple work on a regular basis.My son believes lemonade is the best ( he caught his first trout using it ) now he fishes with lemonade almost exclusively. I on the other hand use fluorescent orange,and corn yellow( chartreuse ) and limit out more often than not.
I'm thinking that what fish bite on at a given time,will be what drives a fishermans choice the next trip.Confidence in lure/ bait choice is perhaps a larger factor in the catch,than perhaps the lure / bait itself.

INTIMIDATOR
02-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Fishermen belief does have a lot to do with what we use....but their is also alittle science! :)
We do know that ALL Baitfish have a gold iridescence that predator fish can key on when the sun is out or UV light is available...We also know that Chartreuse takes on a Golden hue in stained water...that's the main reason that I use a Chartreuse Nibblet in the daytime.
Smell is a trigger under certain circumstance, then you also have alot of other baitfish colors which can attract predators...white bellies, orange coloration, hues of different colors in different water.
Or you can just have different contrasting colors that can attract the attention of predator fish and elicit a strike.