Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Braid for long lining and spider rigging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braid for long lining and spider rigging?

I have used 6 lb high vis line on all my crappie outfits for years. I have lately gotten into trolling crankbaits a little and really like it. I use bandits and usually troll 6 rods. Only problem is there are a lot of large spotted bass and stripers where I fish and I pick them up often. Makes for quite a bit of excitement on 6 lb line. Caught a striper that went almost 30 inches last week along with a 3.5 lb spot. I thought about going to braid probably 12 lb. I know it would be better for the crank baits, but how would it be when I wanted to either long line or spider rig? Any one use it for either and have pros and cons?

Post Thanks / Like

I like to have stretch when longlining. I also like a rod that bends good too. When pulling 1 Mph or more an aggressive hit by a paper mouth can result in lost fish with braid.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with CrappieLimits above. I don't like braid for trolling crappie, That's me. It does work OK for jigging, if you don't set the hook to hard. My 2Cents

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the BGJP's and trolled with cranks and braid and always left my drag a little loose until the rod doubled up without loosing fish or cranks. Before that I used 8lb to give me a little more strength for the surprise fish and snag. Worked good for me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes g6463 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure it would be "better" for crankbaits. Around the lakes I fish, locals "push/pull" cranks on braid w/2oz weights ... but tied to a 5-6ft leader of 6lb test mono. When running at around 1.8mph ... you need a little "shock absorber" to keep from ripping the crank's hooks right through the fish's mouth. Many fish are hooked as often in their "face/lips", as they are "inside" of the fish's mouth. Straight braid would likely rip the hooks loose, unless you left your drag pretty loose.

I think many whom longline troll with cranks (no added weight) use 10lb test mono. It might be because the trolling depth charts are calculated on 10lb test line diameter, or because 10lb test line diameter is the most accurate line size for line counter reels.

Those longline trolling with jigs (no added weight) seem to use mono lines in the 6-8lb test range. Braid in the 10lb test/2lb diameter may not be as bad with jigs, as with cranks, since the jig only has one hook & it's pointed straight up ... more likely to stick the fish in the roof of the mouth, thus being less likely to be pulled free or ripped loose. It would also be easier to pull a hook free from a snag with the heavier test braid, since the jig hooks are much lighter in strength than the average crankbait hook (not to mention that there are 6 hooks on a crank, that could possibly hang up).

As for using braid to "spider rig" or "push" jigs .... see my comments about longlining jigs with braid. You're essentially doing the same thing, just not moving as fast Spider Rigging, as when Longline Trolling. I push jigs with braid ... but, I use 12-18" mono leaders for my jigs. I'd use the same setup if I were to slow down & Spider Rig with those same outfits.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I liked using braid for spider rigging because the no stretch snagged most fish when they bite. However, the rod tip bounces a lot more with the waves because of the no stretch. I went back to mono and seems to work well for me. I also stopped using braid on long lining. I have came close to breaking my rod when getting snagged several times. Luckily the long rod gives and my drag was set loose enough. I switched back to mono in order to "simplify" my fishing. Has worked well for me.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use braid almost exclusively for everything. Usually 12/4. Some guys go heavier for cranks up to 40 lb. If your used to 6 Longlining I would find one that is equivalent to your 6 pound in diameter. Then you wouldn't have much trouble adapting your weight and speed for depth. Secret to fishing braid is using that device built into your reel, the drag. You have a decent reel with decent drag you should never have to worry about broken rods or losing fish.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes short grub, fiveeyes LIKED above post

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried braid for spider rigging and it stayed wrapped around the ends of my rods so bad I had to quit using it.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like I can use it, but also sounds like most use mono and I know how the mono is going to react. Sounds like I need to buy a few more rods just for pulling crankbaits and put braid on them. The wife is going to love that. lol.

Thanks for all the advice guys.