Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What exactly do you consider a slab Crappie???

Post Thanks / Like

Default What exactly do you consider a slab Crappie???

Just as the title stated: What in your mind is considered a slab crappie as far as length? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, but I had a guy last year at the ramp who said he a mess of slabs. Honestly from what I saw he didnt have anything bigger then about 10", I've was always under the impression that anything over 12" or am I wrong. I hear the term being used as much as doormat for flounder, but again everyones idea of a doormat varies.

Post Thanks / Like

14" up for me anything smaller is a Sammich mmm

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on where you are fishing. Some lakes I fish a 12in is a slab some lakes a 14in is a slab.
    Likes jackie53, Rees Guide, Dollfly LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gobob View Post
    14" up for me anything smaller is a Sammich mmm
    X2!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In Ohio if I am catching all dinks (6-8") and then bring in a 9-10" I am calling it a slab, lol but for the most part up here I would consider a 12"+ Crappie a slab

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say in my neck of the woods a 12"er would be a slab. Now when I go to Miss. that is not even a keeper. Has to be over 12 so I'm looking for a 16plus down there.
    Likes armyman, Rees Guide LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

but maybe the "guy at the ramp" was using the term "slab" to mean simply "Crappie" ... in the same way some call them "Specks" or any of the other nicknames we use. Then again, those fish may have been larger, on average, than what he normally catches.

But, as far as your "definition" question ... IMHO it depends on the lake & what the average size that lake can produce, and anything "over" that average size I'd consider a "Slab".

On a local lake I've fished for decades, that has a 9" size & 15/day creel limit ... we used to jokingly refer to any 10" Crappie as a "Lake X Slab", since you normally had to catch close to 50-100 fish to get your 15 fish daily limit of 9" fish. Now, however, the fish are averaging an inch or two longer than those 10" fish we joked about being "slabs". So, now we still "jokingly" refer to the smaller fish as "Lake X Slabs" ... but, just for the sake of nostalgia, or trash talking/ribbing each other about catching a dink or "just barely" keeper sized fish.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

13 to 14 inches depending on its girth in our area of the planet I would say maybe ?
    depends a lot on what lake and etc etc
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

In TN, the TARP (Tennessee Angler Recognition Program (I think)) is 14". So, that is what I consider a "slab" here.

Post Thanks / Like

Plate size is a slab down here for me. Head and tail fin hanging over. My 2 cents.
    Likes ThreeWayMan LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast