Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod with a Spinning Reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Rod with a Spinning Reel

I have a beautiful 8' 6" Fenwick graphite fly rod that I never get the chance to use. I think I paid around $150 for it 20 years ago. I'd like to put it to use for crappie. Anyone ever attach a spinning reel to a fly rod with any good results?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning reel

I know a couple of guys that do it. They make great jig poles. The feet on a fly reel are generally pretty flat in comparison to spinning reels. You may have to grind off a little to get the feet on a spinning reel to fit into the reelseat of a fly rod

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do. I put my Penn 4420 ultralite reel on my 7'6" flyrod. I love it. A little awkward at first but you'll get the feel pretty quick. I cast 1/32 jigs very well with it and the feel of tightlining a jig is great. Give it a try. Use the smallest reel that holds the most line.

Post Thanks / Like

They used the fly reel also on Jimmy Houstons show just had it spooled with mono.
    He who dies with the most lures wins!

Thats why they call it fishin and not catchin!

Post Thanks / Like

i've used one like that for many yrs. found it better to tape reel bout half way up handle. and if ya like it,replace strippin guide with larger spinnin guide. landed 18lb 6 oz carp on 4 lb test usin this outfit!when i first started flatline trollin back in the '80's, used 7' ,8' ,and 9' flyrods set up like this..worked til i could afford some crappie trollin rods.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink got a couple I use ...

Quote Originally Posted by jhaiken
    I have a beautiful 8' 6" Fenwick graphite fly rod that I never get the chance to use. I think I paid around $150 for it 20 years ago. I'd like to put it to use for crappie. Anyone ever attach a spinning reel to a fly rod with any good results?
    Both flyrods are "hand me downs" from my Grandpa ... with more sentimental value than $$ value. I took the two automatic fly reels off, and replaced them with a spinning reel and b/c reel. They're 8.5ft'rs, and fiberglass, and "Pa" used them with fly line & a leader ... to tightline minnows with. Used to drive me crazy watching him let a Crappie pull the rod tips completely under the water, before setting the hook :p

The TrueTemper (Model 1255) has a Ambassadeur 2500C reel taped to the front edge of the cork handle (and the reelseat is taped over, for comfort) ... the reel is spooled with hi-vis green Trilene XT 8lb test, and is my #2 minner/float outfit.
    My #1 minner/float outfit is a Roddy Built Custom Rod (USA) with a big honkin Diawa spinning reel attached ... (it's in the reelseat, and fits fine, no tape needed). The Diawa is so old, that the make/model is worn off ... LOL!! It's spooled with 20# Spiderwire.

I've had excellent results, using these outfits, with the method for which I've set them up .... minnow/float. And I've boated several 2 pound plus Crappie with them. I use my two BnM 8ft Duckworth FnF rods, when I want to cast jigs. But, I usually carry one of the flyrod outfits along ... just in case minners are "necessary". Plus, I get to take my (grand)Pa, in spirit, along with me ... in memory of his mentoring me, in the art of Crappie fishing.
    .... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I started out that way before I went out and bought some long rods. Did pretty well. Hang on if you hook a decent size catfish or green carp!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yeah here's mine...

I put a little reel on my 8.5' flyrod since I haven't used it in years. Used tywraps to attach it to the handle. Nice graphite rod. Took it in the boat the last few times but never used it, didn't need to. Maybe this year I'll finesse a brush pile with it.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up one of the 8' Silstar IM7 Noodle Rod(s) Salmon Steelhead Crappie rods for $19 last night on ebay. Is this a good deal? Are the rods any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhaiken
    I picked up one of the 8' Silstar IM7 Noodle Rod(s) Salmon Steelhead Crappie rods for $19 last night on ebay. Is this a good deal? Are the rods any good?
    Anyone? Can someone suggest a good reel for this rod for shore casting? Thanks.
    Last edited by jhaiken; 01-27-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast