PDA

View Full Version : Tiny slip bobber ?

Clint
02-04-2016, 05:29 PM
I borrowed a couple of Crappie Fishing DVDs from a friend and in one Russ Bailey was shooting docks with jigs under a TINY slip bobber, about the size of my thumbnail. I have never seen one that small. Does anyone know where I can find some that small? A google search only came up with the ones like I can get at my local shop or Walmart.

Techno2000
02-04-2016, 05:35 PM
If it was that tiny how could it support the weight of the jig?

Clint
02-04-2016, 05:52 PM

He was - as I often do - fishing with 1/48th oz jigs. And the key to to BARELY support the jig so you can see the slightest bite.

huntinslabs
02-04-2016, 05:57 PM
You can make the 1/2" comal pear float a slip float by running line through peg instead of pegging the float. Also those cheap little weighted floats thst wallmart sells that spring on. Push the spring down and clip the wire. Pull the guts out and pull the weight off and it is also a small slip float. There is a video on the BnM site on the latter one. Thats about the smallest way I know of aside from making them from straws. The comal 1/2" pear bout floats the 1/48 perfect.

minnowtime
02-04-2016, 06:07 PM
I saw on B'n'M video taking a small clip on bobber and cut off the hook and pulled out the wire. He said it made a grate slip bobber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxL_UnQ43Ic&feature=youtu.be

Clint
02-04-2016, 07:10 PM
The tip about modifying the Comal bobbers is great because they are available locally. I will grab some and modify them.

Thanks

Tom 513
02-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Fly fishermen use small bobbers like you mentioned, I have a couple types I bought from Our local bps. I also know a Cat guy who uses them on a santee rig

jim8861
02-04-2016, 07:28 PM
They are tear drop bobbers and have a toothpick for a stop.can get them from chuckanddeb.com

SeaRay
02-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Fly fishermen use small bobbers like you mentioned, I have a couple types I bought from Our local bps. I also know a Cat guy who uses them on a santee rig

Was about to say that the Fly Fishing section should have the small ones. There is apparently some stigma associated with a fly fisherman lowering himself to use a bobber, so they are called "strike indicators" in the fly fishing vernacular.
I once was using small red worms on a fly rod for bream and I told a guy I was using a "Garden Nymph" ! :Rofl

agruss
02-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Call Grizzly Jig they have them, just ask for the pear shaped float that Russ Bailey uses. They are not in the online catalog. Ordered some about a month ago, got them in a few days.

Clint
02-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Was about to say that the Fly Fishing section should have the small ones. There is apparently some stigma associated with a fly fisherman lowering himself to use a bobber, so they are called "strike indicators" in the fly fishing vernacular.
I once was using small red worms on a fly rod for bream and I told a guy I was using a "Garden Nymph" ! :Rofl

I am a flyfisherman, and when I was taught to FF in the '70s my mentor called those who used "strike indicators" Bobber Fisherman. I have some of the foam type I use to suspend tiny 1/100 oz Mylar jigs fishing over grass.

And I was taught that a worm was called "Garden Hackle" but I like your name better.

smoothlures
02-04-2016, 08:47 PM
My local Academy has 3/4 and 1" pear floats, white w/ red stripe, Comel brand. They may have had 1/2", I'm not sure. I got a couple of packs but haven't fished them yet.

jackie53
02-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Trout/Crappie magnet.com EZ float's the last float you will ever buy.Buy several your friend's and family will want some.

KokomoTerror
02-05-2016, 04:46 AM
I have used several "ice fishing" bobbers that would probably fill your needs. Search the net using "ice fishing bobber", and you will have several options.

chaunc
02-05-2016, 08:59 AM
You can do like i did and contact Russ right here on the site and ask him to send you some. He's a good guy and will probably send them. He gave me some.

deathb4disco
02-05-2016, 09:59 AM
These are very good:

Amazon.com : Thill Gold Medal Ice n' Fly Special Float : Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Thill-Gold-Medal-Special-Float/dp/B00CLRCF7Q)

Alphahawk
02-05-2016, 11:02 AM
These are very good:

Amazon.com : Thill Gold Medal Ice n' Fly Special Float : Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Thill-Gold-Medal-Special-Float/dp/B00CLRCF7Q)
Disco...tell me more about these. How heavy a jig will the different sizes support?...if you know that info. Do they peg well and hold onto fluro? Thanking you in advance.

Regards

deathb4disco
02-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Disco...tell me more about these. How heavy a jig will the different sizes support?...if you know that info. Do they peg well and hold onto fluro? Thanking you in advance.

Regards

Click on "size" here for the capacity of each:

Thill Ice 'n Fly Special Indicator/Float : FishUSA (http://www.fishusa.com/product/Thill-Ice-n-Fly-Special-IndicatorFloat)

1 BB split shot is approximately equal to 1/64 oz

I don't use fluoro much, but I can't imagine that pegging with fluoro would be a problem.

Alphahawk
02-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Click on "size" here for the capacity of each:

Thill Ice 'n Fly Special Indicator/Float : FishUSA (http://www.fishusa.com/product/Thill-Ice-n-Fly-Special-IndicatorFloat)

1 BB split shot is approximately equal to 1/64 oz

I don't use fluoro much, but I can't imagine that pegging with fluoro would be a problem.

Thanks much....just ordered. I use the Trout Magnet EZ Floats all the time as they have a split in them so if I want to fish without float it is easy to remove without having to retie. But when using fluro leader they can slip. Fluro is so dense hard to get anything to not slip when just using pressure.

Regards

broharrell
02-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Saw some on www.southernpro.com (http://www.southernprolures.com)

Clint
02-05-2016, 09:36 PM
I got an off thread tip to go to a certain website where they sell LOTS of bits & parts for making tackle. They have tiny floats for bait rigs. I am going to order a variety of sizes and do some testing to see what size float I need for the different size jigs I fish. I will report back when I figure it all out.

RiverSlabber
02-05-2016, 09:59 PM
How much do they hold up? Ive been using some tiny foam clip on flats I picked up at Gander Mountain, they barely hold up a 1/32 oz jig ( they sink a little on a 1/16). These may work better for a 1/16?

saute86
02-07-2016, 01:24 AM
I cut tube corks down to the size I need. I cut them in half and test in a cup of water. I trim it down till it displaces the water with just the top at the surface. This works great it allows the jig to swim back up a few inches after it hits the water. Plus the flat surface of the cork to act like a popper when you pin it. This picture is pinned.

Clint
02-07-2016, 09:58 AM
This is what I have already started to do. I cut a Comal float in half, and it barely holds up my 1/32 oz. jigs, which is just what I was trying to accomplish. I plan to use the same float for my larger jigs by just cutting them back until I get the same results. I will get some of the small lure making floats for my 1/100 oz. jigs.

Thanks

Crewmax42
02-07-2016, 11:09 AM

The first time I saw a slip bobber was when a friend bought them fishing about thirty years ago. His uncle had made them, sculpted (sort of) out of styrofoam. Back then, McDonalds had these really narrow straws that he would cut to length to insert through the foam. He would tie a knot of dental floss to the line as a stop. Man, you could cast a mile and still fish 12 feet deep under a float. I have yet to see a set-up that has worked so well.

Fatman
02-07-2016, 02:16 PM
Check out floats Unlimited they have all kinds and the oval pegs and clips are all there as well as slips.
Pear (http://www.floatsunlimited.com/peg-floats-pear.html)