Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need help guys

fisherman4life Guest

Default i need help guys

hello , i am new to crappie fishing. i love bass fishing, and i love to hunt, but here lately my new fad is crappie fishing. i have a major problem though....i know absolutely nothing about it. i have been reading lots of threads, and i must say either lots of you are very good fishermen in the sense that you can tell a good lie. lol...or either you all have extensive knowledge of the sport. i have a question that i can't seem to find the answer to in the message boards though...Where is the best place to sink a crappie bed? (i.e. backs of creeks, close to deep and shallow water, mouths of creeks.etc?) also, i would like to know if you all prefer the brush beds, or the pvc beds. i know people that swear by the pvc beds or the good ole fashioned wooden stakes. thanks guys for taking the time to read this and hopefully i will have a pic for the bragging board soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome there fellow Tennessean. Well, you will probably get alot of different answers. The one answer that seems to come up quiet a bit is brush sank out from points in varying depths of water. I personally prefer brush, but I am far from an expert on crappie fishing. There are several guys on here that sink alot of brush, pvc trees, bamboo stakes, woods stakes, christmas trees, death stars, etc. I went early this morning to drop some more brush. It is the second time in a little over a week I have gone to do that. Just hang around a little bit, I am sure you will get plenty of replies to this question and welcome to the board.

ps There is a search option on this board, you could try typing in brush piles or death stars to give you a few ideas. Take care.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

fisherman4life, It's hard to tell you where to put an attractor without knowing the characteristics of the body of water you are talking about. Here's my little tidbit of advice;

Every body of water, no matter how large or small has locations of "structure" that are superior to the rest of the locations. Place cover on and around these locations of "structure" and you should make a good spot better. Look for subtle changes in "structure" that don't draw the attention of other anglers if you wanna make a real hotspot rather than placing your cover on what are known to be excellent spots already.

That's about as simple as I know how to put it to ya.
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

Default fisherman4life

Everytime I go fishing, I see tons of ducks , everytime I go duck hunting I don't see any ducks

Now that is a statement I will take to my grave :D
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

http://warnell.forestry.uga.edu/warn...istory%5B%5D=1

this article explains it well but you have to adjust for your lake

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman4life
    hello , i am new to crappie fishing. i love bass fishing, and i love to hunt, but here lately my new fad is crappie fishing. i have a major problem though....i know absolutely nothing about it. i have been reading lots of threads, and i must say either lots of you are very good fishermen in the sense that you can tell a good lie. lol...or either you all have extensive knowledge of the sport. i have a question that i can't seem to find the answer to in the message boards though...Where is the best place to sink a crappie bed? (i.e. backs of creeks, close to deep and shallow water, mouths of creeks.etc?) also, i would like to know if you all prefer the brush beds, or the pvc beds. i know people that swear by the pvc beds or the good ole fashioned wooden stakes. thanks guys for taking the time to read this and hopefully i will have a pic for the bragging board soon.
    all that you have mentioned are going to be good places according to the season. i like a lot of brush on points near a creek mouth. also i like to sink mine on ledges in about 15-20 ft of water with 25-30ft nearby. these tops produce in the winter, fall and summer. the ledge you're sinking it on needs to be devoid of a lot of natural cover. the drop off gives the fish deeper water to go to whenever needed, and the brush will give them a good food source close by.

to me, pvc would be the best thing to make stake beds out of. unless you have a good source, it could get kind of expensive. i use cane whenever i put stake beds out. it's cheaper and like pvc, you dont get hung up near as often.

Post Thanks / Like

When I ask an old crappie fisherman that question he told me at different depths. The fish will use them as they come in and go out from the beds. If you have them deep enough they will use them for winter and summer places. Which lake in Nville will you be fishing?
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

fisherman4life Guest

Default thanks guys

thanks guys for all the info and the links. you all have been very helpful. and as for the question as to which lakes i will be fishing......old hickory, priest, and center hill. oh yeah for all those bass fishermen, float and fly is on at dale hollow right now

Post Thanks / Like

In college we did good around the bluffs on Priest. We were fishing from the bank and that was several years ago. But that might give you a starting point. We would come in off Murfreesboro Rd. and they were about 15' off the water.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast