Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depth control when longlining

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depth control when longlining

What is the best way to control your depth when longlining? I was wondering if 1/2 to 3/4 oz sinker above a swivel would work-with jig on a leader behind it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no long lining expert but I use just the jigs. I maybe wrong but this is how I cover it 1/32 0-3 foot, 1/16 6-8 foot 1/8 9-12 foot. Like I said I'm not a expert so I'm sure some of the guys can give you better advice. This is just what I have found that works for me. Also keep your speed from .8 to 1.4mph
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

With those weights you'd have to be making some wake to keep your baits off the bottom. I also just use jigs, one or two a rod. Speed and jighead weight vs line out is how you control your depth.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use difference weight jigs, different types of bodies, different speeds or maybe even put a tiny split shot above the jig to control my depth. The best way is to change the speed you are trolling.My speed may vary from 0.6 to 1.2 or so. If I need to go faster than that, I'll be pulling crankbaits. A curly tail will ride higher in the column that a tube jig will just because of the way it moves. One trick I use is to let out a normal amount of line with several jigs and purposely find a flat that has the water depth I think I need to be fishing. I'll let my heaviest jigs out until they are ticking bottom. Then I know about how much line to let out knowing my lighter jigs will be running shallower.

Don't make this trolling too hard. It's not rocket science. Google "long line trolling" and spend a couple of hours watching videos. Russ Bailey has some great videos of longline trips.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes trypman1, jcozzz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There is a depth guide in the archives, it is fairly close. Go to the search window and type in - Long lining chart.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't think I saw it but heavier lines more weight it takes for depth .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

There is a sticky on the South Carolina page that has all you need to get started. I say started because you will need to tweak to your personal liking's. Longlining is not hard but very productive on active fish. Dont over complicate it and have fun.
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Variable speed trolling motor is a must if you do a lot of long line trolling. This controls the depth your jigs are at no matter what size you are using. The older 5 speed motors do not have enough speed varation to change depths on jigs pus they are twice as hard on batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

×2 on the variable speed trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna have to get by with my Minn Kota Edge and hope for the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast