Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about unfamiliar water ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about unfamiliar water ...

My question is what do all of you pro's look for when fishing an unfamiliar body of water such as a lake. I am new to crappie fishing and most of the areas i am going to fish are unfamiliar. Just wondering some tips on how to narrow down water to be more productive. My favorite type of fishing is trolling minnows and jigs. Thanks for your help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I see your new here. Welcome to Crappie.com. If you search the forums there is a wealth of info on that topic that has been discussed here in the past. You might drop over to Darryl Morris's website as well and read a few of his articles. http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/News.htm
    Good things come to those who bait.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb on unfamiliar waters ....

Quote Originally Posted by Trippster
    My question is what do all of you pro's look for when fishing an unfamiliar body of water such as a lake. I am new to crappie fishing and most of the areas i am going to fish are unfamiliar. Just wondering some tips on how to narrow down water to be more productive. My favorite type of fishing is trolling minnows and jigs. Thanks for your help!!!
    what I generally do, is get a report on water conditions - check out recent fishing reports for those waters - purchase a map .... then choose my presentation method, based on prevailing conditions (weather, water level, lake structure, lake type, water temp, available cover types. and season). I mentally imagine similar circumstances and results, from past trips to "familiar" waters, and try and duplicate the when/where/why/how factors.
    It also helps to not try and "fish" the whole body of water, at one time (unless it's relatively small). Section off areas, and choose the one that is most likely being used by the Crappie, at that time or under those conditions ... then concentrate your efforts to that area. Look for the same types of bottom contours, depths, and other "conditions" that you are familiar with ... and use your previous experience and methods. Also, be prepared to ditch your "favorite ways", and "get like'em", if the local methods are totally different than "your ways" ... and they're productive, and your ways aren't
    ....... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

the first thing i do is fish all visible cover...Boat docks, trees laying in the water, bushes etc.. if that dont work i start looking at my fish locator and find the sunken treasures. third and most important if that dont work i go to camp sit back and drink a cold one and try again later...

HOLD YO HEAD UP MULEY