Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Rods

First of all do you guys use any long rods 12 ft. or longer and does anyone make them for casting reels that long. I have some of the old Diawa PL1000 baitcasting reels and I think they would work good of some of those long rods. For those of you that do use them how do they work in brush. I can see using them in open water but don't now about brush.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12' and 16' trolling. But no way would i use 16' to single pole fish. That would be brutal. Prefer 10' or 11' for single poling.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with "huntinslabs" ... I don't want anything over 10 or 11 feet long for a "in hand" rod, and even then I wouldn't want a baitcast style reel on it.

Would a 12, 14, 16ft rod with a baitcast reel on it, work ... yeah. But, you're not gonna be casting with it ... and you won't be vertical jigging with it for any length of time, either. It would just flat wear you out trying to hold it and control it. That long of a rod with a baitcast reel is much more suited for use in a rod holder system.

For that matter, I don't even use my 10' rods for "in hand" fishing methods. The longest rod I use for those methods is a 7' rod ... and all my rods, other than my 14'ers, have spinning reels on them, whether I use them in hand or in my rod holders.

Closest thing I have to a PL1000 is a Diawa PMA10, which used to be one of my Bass fishing reels for casting worms ... that's now on one of my 14' rods for pushing jigs &/or spider rigging.

If I were going to use a 12' or longer rod "in hand", I might consider one of those mini-baitcast style reels ... but, after hearing so many negative comments on them, I'd likely just use a small spinning reel.

And just to be clear ... we're assuming you intend to cast or vertical jig with this outfit, seeing as how you refer to "fishing brush" vs "fishing open water". That's the way it comes across, anyway.

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What he said
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Worked a 16' rod poking under docks all day during a tournament several years back. I was flat worn out and have not tried it since...
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

A little to long!! 10' for me.