PDA

View Full Version : E-tec

Slipcork
01-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Any one watching the 30 min. show on the outdoor channel about the Evinrude E-TEC? Sounds like a great motor. Anybody have one?

zappaf19
01-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeh I saw that. If I could I would buy one! One of my friends who owns a boat repair shop says they are the best on the market. He is not a engine dealer.
Bill

crappie52
01-26-2007, 08:49 AM
i saw that show yesterday, they do a good job selling it, but i do not know anything about them.

Ragfly Jig Man
01-26-2007, 12:06 PM
I am looking to buy a new boat. Talked to a dealer that deals in Mercury and Evinrude and they say that the E-tech is one of the best on the market. A little Higher in price but well woth it.

polock
01-26-2007, 12:14 PM
i replaced my 2003 mercury 90 horse outboard, with a 2006 90 horse etec and there was a huge differece in performance... i will never own another motor besides etec now.. great fuel mileage, and super quiet.. i love it looking to replace my little 40 horse johnson with a newer etec soon we have traded boat motors and boats on average about ever 2 to 3 years for the past 20 and the etec is by far the best of the best

papasage
01-26-2007, 12:25 PM
i seen that when they first came out . i went to this site. T M D is a mercuray dealer mechanick . he said they wer what they said and he wish tht mercuray had it . :eek:

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

ifi wer buying a new motor that is what i would buy .

SLABSTALKER
01-26-2007, 04:12 PM
My father-in-law is looking for pontoon and the dealer gave him a DVD on the new e-tec. That is one motor. Out performs all motors, less pollution, weighs less than any other motor, can run for hours with out oil, has great gas mileage, has more torque, faster top end speed, newest technology computer system, Sounds like superman. I just bout bass tracker pro team 185 last year with merc.60 4 stroke. I have no complaints about my motor but I would trade it hands down for the new bad a_ _ e-tech.

polock
01-26-2007, 06:18 PM
slabstalker we had a mercury 60 4stroke jet on our boat before the etec.. the boat wouldn't hardly even plain out... we took it back to the dealer to see if anything was wrong and it was perfectly fine.. he took it back and put on a etec and it flew.. thats when we decided to just redue the whole outfit and go bigger boat and up to the 90 etec... i would suggest trading if you can ever do it

Barnacle Bill
01-26-2007, 09:17 PM
I participate in a couple boat/motor repair forums. So far I have heard of one major problem with one E-tec. Bombadier was very quick to respond and immediately replaced the motor. Most people that have them really like them.

GRIZZ
01-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Must be a good engine, because I've never seen one, never seen an ad for one, but just out of the blue I've heard so many people say what a great engine it is. Several saying its the best they have ever seen.

Slipcork
01-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Grizz you ned to go to http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Flash/index.html

They hooked boats back to back. Yamaha vs E-tech. The E-tech dragged the Yamaha so bad they pulled the boat up side down! Weight to horsepower. It's bad-2-d-bone!

Trying to find a way to get one.

mduncan62
01-27-2007, 12:27 AM
I have heard nothing but good things on the web about them. Shounds like you couldn't go wrong.

Shellback
01-27-2007, 12:58 PM
No offense guys, but those doing the commercials can make you believe anything. I'm sure Yamaha can stick the wrong prop on a Etec and drag it backwards. Do you think Etec asked Yamaha to set up the other boat? Comparing a 2002 Merc 90 carbed motor against an Etec, is like comparing apples to oranges. Put the Etec up against an Opti for a better comparision. For some, they still like the 2 strokes, me, I'll stick with the 4 strokes. I've run Honda, Yamaha, and Merc 4 strokes, and everyone one of them has been sweet. Nine times out of ten, a prop change can make a world of difference in engine performance. You might by a Merc and the dealer puts the wrong prop on it and you swear it's dog and dump it. Then go buy a Etec from a knowledgeable dealer who props the motor right and it's a rocketship.

blairarnold
01-27-2007, 02:26 PM
There is an article with a really good comparison of the e-tec, merc. optimax, and yamaha hdpi on a website called Ocean Skiff Journal (? - I'll send the link Mon. when I get back to my office). This is an apples to apples comparison of the fuel injected 2 strokes. It basically finds them all to be fairly similar, but the author ended up choosing the e-tec to buy personally.

Having said that, I have been reading everything I can on the web or anywhere else on this as I'm thinking about getting a new motor. Every single comment I've read by any one who has gotten the e-tec has been glowing, and every one of them has said the e-tec is what they would buy again in the future. Many of them had various kinds of 4 strokes before they bought their e-tecs, and all of them preferred the e-tecs hands down over the 4 strokes.

I have decided that I will probably buy an e-tec the next time around as I have become convinced that they really live up to their hype.

Slipcork
01-28-2007, 08:31 PM
No offense guys, but those doing the commercials can make you believe anything. I'm sure Yamaha can stick the wrong prop on a Etec and drag it backwards. Do you think Etec asked Yamaha to set up the other boat? Comparing a 2002 Merc 90 carbed motor against an Etec, is like comparing apples to oranges. Put the Etec up against an Opti for a better comparision. For some, they still like the 2 strokes, me, I'll stick with the 4 strokes. I've run Honda, Yamaha, and Merc 4 strokes, and everyone one of them has been sweet. Nine times out of ten, a prop change can make a world of difference in engine performance. You might by a Merc and the dealer puts the wrong prop on it and you swear it's dog and dump it. Then go buy a Etec from a knowledgeable dealer who props the motor right and it's a rocketship.

How do you explain weight to horsepower? That more weight mean less gas milage and changes your boat rating for wieght. More moving parts? Service work on 4 strokes?

You can't buy a new 2002 Merc these days. Check the EPA info on all of them.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't own one. I have 2 Yamaha's. A 40hp and a 150hp. both are 2 stroke motors. Just don't like 4 strokes. Changing oil sucks.

ceb
01-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey Doug, I've been wanting one of the e-tecs ever since I read the reviews of it. How about you get us a 2 for 1 deal?:D

Slipcork
01-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Hey Doug, I've been wanting one of the e-tecs ever since I read the reviews of it. How about you get us a 2 for 1 deal?:D

What hp you want? I want a 200hp on the back of my deck boat. Replace the Yamaha 150. Nothing wrong with it, just want one of them. And maybe a 75hp tiller for a new flat bottom that I want to build. A new 1660. Had one for bow fishing a few years back.

ceb
01-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't think that I'd want to hang a 200hp on the back of my 1448. It might fly, literally...:D

But seriously, I remember reading that e-tec was going to produce some smaller hp versions (like around 25hp - 35hp). You know anything about these smaller hp versions, Doug?

LYNYRD
01-29-2007, 06:26 AM
I have a 90HP E-tec and love it. They are a very strong, quite and gas freindly motor. This is coming from someone who has ran Yamaha's for the last 15 years. I haven't had any problems and when I bought mine I got the 7 year warranty with it. I couldn't pass that up. I still believe in the Yamaha's and never had a problem with them either.
I would really suggest an E-tec to anyone that wanted power and fuel economy. They are great on oil too. Good Luck and what ever you decide.

FisherMike
01-29-2007, 11:12 AM
I'd have one myself if they made them in a 25 horse. I don't know why they only go down to a 40.

Shellback
01-29-2007, 05:38 PM
How do you explain weight to horsepower? That more weight mean less gas milage and changes your boat rating for wieght. More moving parts? Service work on 4 strokes?

You can't buy a new 2002 Merc these days. Check the EPA info on all of them.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't own one. I have 2 Yamaha's. A 40hp and a 150hp. both are 2 stroke motors. Just don't like 4 strokes. Changing oil sucks.
I'm running a F115 Yamaha right now. Don't have the specs on it, but a Merc 115 2 stroke weighs 348#'s. Their 115 4 stroke weighs 386#'s. Forty two pounds doesn't seem like much to sweat over. My 50HP Honda was exact same weight as the 50HP Merc 2 stroke I replaced it with. You can't even begin to compare gas milage of a carbed 2 stroke to a 4 stroke, I get darn near double the fuel milage with my 4 strokes than I did with carbed 2 strokes. If 2 strokes are the way to go, why is Bombardier the only outboard manufacturer that put all the eggs in the 2 stroke basket when other outboard manufacturers are refining their 4 strokes? How about automobiles or aircraft, do they use 2 strokes? Detroit use to build a 2 stroke diesel, that went the way of the past. I wish Bombardier the best of luck, they were already sold once since they took over OMC.

blairarnold
01-30-2007, 09:12 AM
The new 2 strokes: e-tec, optimax, & yamaha hdpi (?) are all fuel injected and not carbed like the old 2 strokes. Also in the case of the e-tec it is all controlled by a computer chip. The other 2 may be as well, I just don't know about them. These 2 strokes don't have nearly as many moving parts as the 4 strokes and therefore less likely to go wrong with them, and they get about the same or better mileage and have about the same quietness as the 4 strokes. However they've got the good hole shot and top end speed that 2strokes have always had. If you haven't done it, check the required maintenance on a Yamaha or any other 4 stroke vs. the e-tec or probably any of the other new 2 strokes: the difference is absolutely amazing.

CrappieHusker
01-30-2007, 11:17 AM
I have a 4-stroke Suzuki 50 HP on my 17 1/2 foot Landau bass boat and love it. It is super quiet and does not use a lot of gas. I troll a lot with it for and supposedly it does not carbon up like a 2-stroke. It's nice not to have to mix oil and gas. The only problems I have had with it was the first year when the engine warning buzzer came on. Was told that the problem was cavitation, had to have the motor lowered one 'hole'.
We also have a 4-stroke Suzuki 70 HP on our 22 foot Landau pontoon and sometimes I have to get up (if we are just sitting there or drifting) to see if the motor is running to make sure I don't try to start a running motor!

russ
01-30-2007, 02:52 PM
The E-Tec is a good motor. In their DVD they are comparing their motor (2stroke) with the Mercury and Yamaha's 4 strokes. In Bass and Walleye Boat Magazine, they did an independant test against the Mercury Optimax (2 stroke). The Mercury got better mileage, less emissions, and better performance. HOWEVER...it is still a good motor.

blairarnold
01-30-2007, 04:35 PM
If I can do this I am putting the link to a very detailed study of e-tecs in Ocean Skiff Journal. They have very good discussions of e-tec's vs. 4 strokes, e-tecs vs. other fuel injected 2 strokes, the test done by Bass and Walleye Boat magazine (basically thought how the boats were propped made the difference), and a # of other issues or topics. It is very good.
http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/SubscriberContent/Articles/Vol01Issue05/General/ETEC1.aspx