Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustache worm custom molds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mustache worm custom molds

Since I'm a bit of a crafty and cheap person, I decided to make an injection mold of a oncoming popular bait, the mustache worm.

For those not familiar with the mustache worm, it's a 1-1.5" "senko" like work that is tapered at the ends and has a ball in the center for a hooking point.

I still ill have to finish the other half of the mold, but was wondering of a cheap Jerry-rigged plastics injector, because like I said, I'm cheap.

I've also been reading on the Crappie Carots and head mixed reviews on the success on them, and waned to know how good they are before I make an attempt to make a mold LIKE the Carots.
    "They call it fishing, NOT CATCHING!"

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Been a long time since I read any of this but for prototypes folks used to use plaster of paris and coat with shellac or something like that. I have also seen where proto's were made by taking parts of other plastics and heating and re-attaching them to get what they need to make a basic mold they could then refine. Senko's are a big thing in the bass world but I was using them when I first came to FL as a kid and a friend took me fishing in Winter Park, and we were using the wacky style. Some new things aren't quite new. Good luck getting your bait made, hope this helps.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

@Skeetbum,

thank you you for the help. I've heard of Plaster if Paris, but the one factor that is left out is that I don't have the physical bait on me. I could make a clay model, bake it, then make a mold out of it, but I'm in school for machining so I'm trying to sharpen my machining skills by making a mold out of aluminum. If I make the Crappie Carrots, I might just make a Plaster mold and do it that way.

Again, thanks for the help! Keep the the lines tight and the drag loose!

Post Thanks / Like

larry dahlberg the host of the hunt for big fish is spokesman and user of a line of products that are just what your looking for.have even seen him mold real insects and fish for soft plastic baits.i myself and pretty happy with what is available commercially.but i was quite impressed what he comes up with and doesn't seem too difficult.i tie flies and here is my version of a senko type baitName:  DSCI0650.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  47.2 KBName:  DSCI0649.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  63.7 KB
    Likes 2Bass2Furious LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I never even thought of doing something like that! Very nice flies! The problem about flies is I'm more leaning to vertically jigging or retrieving with a spinning reel, but I guess I could try fly fishing with something like your flies!

I have tied flies before, but what type of material is that on the top two "worms"? I thought I've seen it before, but for the life of me can't recall the name.

Also, hasn't Larry Dahlberg inspired the crafty side of almost every fisherman? Love watching his shows!

Post Thanks / Like

that is actually dubbing spun on a needle with silicone fish tank caulk.makes a hollow soft body.still experimenting and have not fished these yetName:  IMG_20130427_163536.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  49.8 KBthis gill was caught on a small fly that fishes just like a jig.it has a 1/8 tungsten bead for a head.i mostly fish with spinning gear also but the fly rod is a blast and usually have one with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish jcozzz! I'll give the flies a try once warm weather rolls around. I'm still working on the Crappie Carrot mold. My machining instructor is helping me use Master Cam to make the mold with a Haas CNC. Fun stuff! (You can almost FEEL the sarcasm. Haha!)

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

2Bass, if yo need more weight you can always wrap the shank with copper or lead wire to add weight and/or balance it to fit your needs. The 4 strand telephone wire when stripped is a good cheap starter to give it a try.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information, but I think 1/8 oz is about as big as I'll ever go, and I can get beads that size at my local fly shop.

If if I run into weight problems, I'll try the copper/lead wire. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

sorry should have said the bead is 1/8 of an inch or 2.5-3 mm.the weight is about 1/80 -1/100.size 12 hook.you can also fish these below a float on light spinning gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast