Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant catch fish!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cant catch fish!!!

Went out today in Tennessee and tried my hand at bringin home some slabs. Air temp was about 45 and water temp ranged from 46-48. So I naturally thought that the fish would be deep. So I started in 16 FOW and varied my spider rig accordingly. Not a single bite. So OK i thought maybe they are deeper. WRONG. went to 20-25 FOW and fished from 12-20 feet deep and struck out once again. At first i just thought it was a bad day but after calling a buddy of mine on the way home. He limited out in only a few hours. He said he was catching them 3-5 foot deep in 8-10 FOW..??? Can they really be that shallow with the water temp still being in the forties this time of year. Im still learning obviously. Any of you guys have any input?

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I catch boatloads of them that shallow when the water temps are like that. Go fish shallow wood, brush piles and stumps.

Post Thanks / Like

some spots here in texas have shad runs up creeks and rivers in the winter . we have fish in less than 9 feet of water on fire right now up some of the rivers and creeks .i dont know why some fish do what they do or why exactly and i have heard alot of different things ,but i do know the deep fish out in open water this year are flat out not cooperating on many of the traditionally great winter spots.
    our water temps are similar to yours right now in most spots as well. it also seems that disappointing trips to the lakes are the norm this winter in our area for most folks .
    i am going back to the creek soon myself because i keep hearing reports that make me want to avoid the lakes right now .
    blame it on an election year or gas prices or el nino or whatever eases the pain and keep in mind alot of my buds and myself are pretty ok at ketchn crappie and we aint really got whatever is going on here figured out at all either
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually when icefishing, there is always clutter on the sonar just under the ice. Several times I have caught crappie within inches of the bottom of the ice, sometimes the clutter is actually fish. Cold makes no difference. Those bugger can hang out anywhere.
    May times I have caught crappie thru the ice just a few feet from shore.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
    Likes Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Consider that fish are cold blooded, and that the 46-48deg water temps may be the warmest water around. That may partially account for them being shallow, even in the dead of Winter.

I've caught them less than 3ft deep this time of year & under similar water temps ... fishing from the bank, casting a tube jig beside the trunk of a laydown. Like you, I originally thought they'd be deep, so I was casting out to the top/branches of the laydown in 20fow. Not even a sniff, until I happened to work the jig ALL THE WAY up the trunk ... and got the first of several fish that day, just as I was about to lift the jig out of the water and make another cast.

... cp
    Likes NIMROD, Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CrappiePappy in that fish will go to where the water is warmest. A good place to start searching is the northwest shorelines, where the sun angle is greatest this time of the year. If there's enough sun, they might be suspended just under the surface too....soaking up the rays!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I've always said....day in, day out, the most common mistake people make is fishing under the fish.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the help. I hope to go back out again on monday and i will be pounding the banks and shallow lay downs for sure now.

Post Thanks / Like

In Maryland and at that temperature they would rarely be relating to the bottom like that unless a cold front had just past. In most cases they would be in 5 - 10 feet of water and about half way down. It usually takes temps at 40 or below to get them hugging the mud. But even in those cold temps a string of warm days will bring them up, not exactly shallow but suspended near a drop off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    I've always said....day in, day out, the most common mistake people make is fishing under the fish.
    real good advice ....the fish were 3 to 4 feet down yesterday in 14 foot of water on the lake ......
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes feelay LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast