PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever try this?

Cane Pole
01-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Stopped at Elliot's Sporting Good's Store in Jackson, Tn. Wednesday. There was a sale going on, so I was browsing. I picked up a couple of them bright orange marker buoys. I have a hard time seeing these things especially if the water is a little rough. I talked to one of the old pros there and he told me :

PAINT ALL marker ends white and they will be easy to spot on the water, rough or smooth. I am gonna do this and was wondering if anyone else had tried painting their ends. Makes sense to me.

crab
01-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Looks like if the water had caps on it (rough) you couldnt see it for the white foam.

ShilohRed
01-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Tom I know the yellow ones are easy to see.
Pete

Ken Kinser
01-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I agree i paint ends of orange ones bright yellow is what i use

CrappiePappy
01-26-2007, 10:44 AM
CP .... you don't need no steenkin paint :p
What you want is to outfit those buoy markers with some waterproof, blinking/flashing, white LED lights :D THEN you can see'em from a hunnerd yards away !! And so can those wave maker water lice, & Lowe boaters, so they won't go running over them and cutting them all to pieces :rolleyes: ....... cp :cool:

rango
01-26-2007, 11:24 AM
i put a strip of reflective tape around the ends of mine. makes em easier to see at night with a light

GRIZZ
01-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Why don't you just fit them with radio tracking devices and wire them into your on board gps. While your at it you could fit them with wireless transducers and patch them in too. Then you could just drop buoys on several likely spots and hit them when the fish show up under them. Kinda like a crappie SOSUS net like the SOSUS hydrophone arrays in both the Atlantic and Pacific they use for tracking enemy vessels. :D Guess I've been reading too much Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Dale Brown, and Cane Pole techno posts.

You know I'm just kiddin Cane - Love your posts and your ingenuity.

crappie cowboy
01-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Tom, Maybe some orange smoke grenades, will be a little easier to spot.hehe.

spider rig man

fishingpox
01-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Hey Mr. Tom, it makes sense to me cause I see white corks better than I do the Flor. orange ones.

J White
01-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I usually just mark an "X" on the side of the boat with a sharpie :D :eek:
- Just kiddin Mr. Tom - Jeff

crappieseeker
01-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey Fatboy, heres my answer but it dont fall under that title of remark you named lol. I was reading where a guide paints all his rod tips white, he said white shows up better under any weather condition. I suppose this would probably work for the markers also. Just thought I'd mention it.

possumcop
01-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I paint mine either brown or a dark color so other people can't see them. I kinda don't want other fisherman to see where I am fishing.

bobberdown
01-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Why don't you just fit them with radio tracking devices and wire them into your on board gps. While your at it you could fit them with wireless transducers and patch them in too. Then you could just drop buoys on several likely spots and hit them when the fish show up under them. Kinda like a crappie SOSUS net like the SOSUS hydrophone arrays in both the Atlantic and Pacific they use for tracking enemy vessels. :D Guess I've been reading too much Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Dale Brown, and Cane Pole techno posts.

If you can work out the building plans for this and keep the retail price below $150.00, I will be an investor. and help you get a patten to boot. We will be some rich crappie dudes.:cool:

Songdog
01-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Send me the the 150 $ and I'll get back to you with a prototype:D

CrappiePappy
01-27-2007, 03:41 AM
your post has been deleted, as you knew it would be. Trying to make us look like the "bad guys" in this, just won't work ... and your remarks were totally out of line, and out of character. Do you not see that "some" of us, other than yourself, can joke around with other members ... and not intend to be mean spirited about it ? I know you're just trying to "take up" for your friend, Tom ... but, from what I've seen, he don't need no bodyguard - he's more than capable of taking a joke, and/or dishing out any needed rebuttals.
No one was making light of Tom's inquiry, in a mean spirited way. We all love and admire Tom, and in no way meant any harm.

The "serious" answer would be - yes, white would be more visible ... at a distance --- but, rough water conditions would nullify any greater visibility (even at a distance, or close up), due to the "hiding" effect the waves would have on the buoy. And that information has already been related. ... cp

cbarron19
01-27-2007, 09:41 AM
paint them with orange surveyors paint. makes them stand out twice as much

CrappiePappy
01-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Didn't know I was trying to make you look like bad guys Pappy. If someone doesn't agree with your opinion, you moderate it and then put your opinion in dogging the other guy without both sides being seen. I sent you a pm.

Both sides could not be allowed to "be seen" ... because one side used language that isn't condoned by the site rules. I used the words "bad guys" as a replacement for the word "Smart*****" ... since that word isn't appropriate for a "family oriented" atmosphere.

I moderate according to the rules set forth by the site Administrator, and for the good of the site and its membership. .....cp :cool:

fish.on
01-27-2007, 08:13 PM
build some out of foam in the form of nekkid dancing girls. But then there would probobly not be much fishing getting done for watching the markers.