Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spawn Season Creel Limit Reduction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawn Season Creel Limit Reduction

Would you support a seasonal creel limit adjustment, that correlates to your geographic region's "assumed" peak of the spawn season ?

Example: I am from Arkansas, our state managed daily creel limit for crappie is 30, and for the sake of this question I'm going to say our peak spawn occurs March-April.

Would you support a regulation that reduces the daily creel limit, (to some degree ?) but for this sake of this question I'll use the number of 15, during the months of March-April ?

The purpose of the rule would be to reduce the number of harvested brood stock females prior to her laying her eggs. In my example I do not specify sex of fish, just total harvest number, for ease of enforcement purposes. To ask the average weekend or occasional angler to differentiate between a male or female crappie, lest be penalized with a ticket would be tough legislation.

This is only a conversational example. I have none: studies, tests or theories to support or substantiate a need for this. Also, the hypotheticals used in asking the question, (i.e. peak spawn season or what the reduced creel limit might be), need not be argued, as they only serve as an example for the sake of asking the question.

So, what's your thoughts ?

Post Thanks / Like

We've got a 15 fish limit year 'round, down from 30 fish years ago, and a 12" MLL. I think it has helped our crappie population. You just can't expect the average Joe differentiate between male and female. Like you said, that would be tough legislation. I've seen on this site where our friends up north in places are begging to get increased length limits from officials.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They set limits for a reason and are very aware of the spawn. I’m sure the conservation department knows more fish will be caught that time of year. It’s the only time some even fish for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Conway is also my main lake and I fully support a 15 fish crappie keeper limit per person daily, year round, not just during the spawn. Wouldn't hurt a thing to raise the length minimum to 11" as well. If you want to be a commercial fisherman, go fish for buffalo in the river.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to keep in mind with crappie is that they are prolific spawners. A female crappie can lay anywhere from 10,000 to 150,000 eggs during the spawn (depending on several factors including age, size, and length of the spawn). If the lake is not managed properly crappie will overrun the lake and their growth will be stunted. Fishing pressure is controlled by creel limits which are determined by biologist who do population surveys on lakes. I know the conservation department in Missouri does them yearly. If a person decides to keep females to eat while fishing I doubt it is hurting the population of crappie. In fact weather conditions and water levels probably play a bigger part of crappie population than over harvesting females. Also more males are harvested during the spawn than females due to being on the bank longer. The male crappie probably plays a bigger role in the reproductive process than the female. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by "D"; 01-27-2016 at 07:27 PM.
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not wild about spawn fishing but not sure it should be limited. I would be more for a closed season. I don't really see a need anywhere I have fished though. It might throw off the natural balance. Personally, I try to avoid crappie only during spawning season. Due the crowds and pressure. I do from time to time take kids to some spawning sites for fun. I let them keep whatever legal fish they want and we process them for there families when done. The second trip they usually would rather catch and release. The kid in me still looks forward to every year hitting the bream beds. Don't try to take that from me please. Most of the time they are in the same spots year after year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits View Post
    I'm not wild about spawn fishing but not sure it should be limited. I would be more for a closed season. I don't really see a need anywhere I have fished though. It might throw off the natural balance. Personally, I try to avoid crappie only during spawning season. Due the crowds and pressure. I do from time to time take kids to some spawning sites for fun. I let them keep whatever legal fish they want and we process them for there families when done. The second trip they usually would rather catch and release. The kid in me still looks forward to every year hitting the bream beds. Don't try to take that from me please. Most of the time they are in the same spots year after year.
    I don't think anyone is talking about bream.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should let the folks that have spent 4-8 years in college studying biology make the decisions. As fishermen we might think we know what is good for the species but our well intention-ed, uneducated involvement may do more damage than good. Let's just be good stewards and follow the law.
    Likes Andrews, trypman1, keeferfish, feelay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hear this all the time. Was just wondering how many public lakes out there that are managed by their state don't have crappie because to many are being caught. Been crappie fishing for over twenty years and have noticed every few years the fishing is not as great as previous years but it always returns to normal.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish lakes with different size limits and I catch big fish at times on all of them. Some years are just better than others. It weather conditions that makes it hard some times. The amount of people fishing makes it harder to find fish it doesn't mean the fish are not there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast