Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for my yearly plea for C.c members

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Time for my yearly plea for C.c members

I'd like to plant the seed of conservation with our members. Spring is closing fast and Please, when you catch those bulging females, snap a picture and return them to the water.
    Lets face it guys, the more females that lay their eggs, the better our crappie population will be in the future. No you dont have to but lets face it, we love this sport and should do all we can to make it better.
    Not trying to start an argument here just hope we can all make crappie fishing better for the future and every little bit helps.
    Thanks
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you. They do much better making babies than making dinner. We get fish all year and it's a small thing for a short time to return the fish that help build the fishery for the future. May even be for my Grandchildren. I know this won't reach the heart of everyone but thanks to those that it does.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes barrelslime, ET Fish, Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced that that is a solution. Where I fish there is only a shortage of large fish and an over populated amount of small ones. If more fish are bred, there will be more fish eating up the food supply.

Im not arguing, just trying to understand how it works.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Understand the thought but just like the other post, limits are set for a reason. They want fish caught. What make us so smart we are going to change the outcome by our own rules. Not trying to argue either just my opinion.
    Likes springhillwantabe, NIMROD, Rees Guide LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My question is when do we start and when do we stop? Not arguing, but genuinely asking the question. For the past couple of months, the females I have cleaned have eggs. Eggs that will not hatch. So do we start during the "actual" spawn, or when they start displaying eggs, etc. Honestly, unless the spawn is in progress and the males are black, I can't tell male from female with certainty until I am cleaning them. Honestly, if releasing them will actually help, I'm in!

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

ET, the way I do it is if she looks like she is about to explode, or you can tell she is a female by her belly, she goes back.
    Your never gonna get it right all the time, just do your best and use your best judgement.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
    Likes ET Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What about the males who guard the eggs and then the fry?
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

How about we just don't keep any more than we need. I kept 30 crappie last year. still got a couple bags left.

Post Thanks / Like

So throw back the female Asian carp. Got it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apersohn17 View Post
    So throw back the female Asian carp. Got it...
    LOL

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast